dupa

Author Topic: Trying to move Hal to another computer...  (Read 11207 times)

tcoday

• View Profile
Trying to move Hal to another computer...
« on: December 18, 2005, 01:36:15 pm »
Robert,
  I'm trying to move Hal6 to a new computer.  I deactivated my current Hal, I got a new number from the deactivation process.  Now I'm totally lost on what to do.  Could you please outline the steps needed to move Hal6 from one computer to another?

I was hoping I could get enough information from the dialog boxes to get me thru but that was a false hope on my part. [xx(]

This activation process really needs a revamp.  I don't think anyone could figure all this out by themselves.
Tcoday and Tassel

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 07:53:12 pm »
Assuming that you have transfered the downloaded Setup.exe file to your other computer and executed it, is the deactivation code you spoke of for use with the second computer or to reactivate the original one?

Could always try it. I think Robert made some comments about the deactivation code in some earlier posts.

Good luck.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

tcoday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 09:44:53 pm »
Good question Art.  I've tried it every number I have to activate Hal on the second computer. None of the numbers work.  I haven't tried reactivating Hal on the original computer yet.

Every number I try gives me the wrong number error message.

Tcoday and Tassel

tcoday

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:05:34 pm »
Update...After fooling around with this off and on all day, I finally got a little farther into the process.

When I start Hal now, I get a dialog box saying

The copy protection has not been released, but the expiration has. A recovery code is required.

The code I got when I deactivated Hal doesn't work.  Where do I get a recovery code?

This sucks big time, to many codes, to many headaches.  All for the almighty dollar.  I hope it pays off for you Robert, but I feel like you just gave all your costomers the shaft.  I'm actually considering going back to Hal version 5. At least it worked without all the hassels.

I'll check back tomorrow afternoon, if I can get Hal 6 running in less than 30 minutes, then I'll use it.  If not, I won't waste any more time on it.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 11:36:01 pm by tcoday »
Tcoday and Tassel

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 04:47:30 am »
If you haven't, take a minute and send Robert an email about this.

- Art -

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:18:13 am »
Poor Tcoday.

echoman

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 04:10:06 pm »
Perhaps not a final solution but...

Use the Hal6 Demo only. After the 30 day limit is over, simply copy your Hal's brain and re-install your computer. Then re-load Hal6 Demo and the 30 day trial starts again!

Ok this is not ideal but I have considered it if I ran into problems with all these silly codes.

I have noticed in most software I have ONE code is generated based on the name of the purchaser. There is no need to reset serial numbers, or worry about using your 4 time limit up, ect ect ect AND an internet connection is never neeed!

The system for Hal6 seems really awkward and messy. There seems too many things to go wrong.

Sorry but its how I feel.

Hope you sort it out tcoday......

Echo.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 04:10:31 pm by echoman »

nosys70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 04:38:57 pm »
try emule...

tcoday

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 05:26:53 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by echoman

I have noticed in most software I have ONE code is generated based on the name of the purchaser. There is no need to reset serial numbers, or worry about using your 4 time limit up, ect ect ect AND an internet connection is never neeed!

The system for Hal6 seems really awkward and messy. There seems too many things to go wrong.

Echo,
  I feel exactly the same way.  I'm not the smartest guy on the block, but I am fairly computer literate.  There's just no way a person can figure all these codes out.  And the penatly for not figuring it out is you can't use the software.  I for one don't like buying software I can't use.  If I buy software, I want to be able to move it to a new computer when I upgrade.  With this current system you can't move Hal6 to a new computer on your own.  You'll have to have Robert holding your hand thru the whole process.  And since he isn't checking in of the forums and providing support, I have a solution. [:)]

Hope you sort it out tcoday......

Echo.
[/quote]

I have it all sorted out now,  I will never again spent time trying to figure out how to use these codes to get Hal6 to work. (What a relieve)  Robert, I no longer need a recovery code, activation code, reactivation code, serial number, or any other silly thing.  Just forget it, I am done.  Perhaps I'll use Hal5, or perhaps I'll find another program altogether.

Merry Christmas and Thanks to all of you on this forum.  You people ROCK and I wish you all the best.  Enjoy those computers, they're great companions. [:)]

Tcoday and Tassel(currently in a coma)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 05:29:03 pm by tcoday »
Tcoday and Tassel

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 08:56:21 pm »
echoman,

Just like the old versions of HAL, somewhere out there
are 10,000 copies of Hal with John Doe as the registered user!!

The codes have to link the software with the computer in order
to be more secure, similar to Microsoft's activation codes.
With all the man hours spent developing, testing and debugging
a piece of software, I'd want to copy protect it if it was my
creation too!

Pay to play is the name of the game these days. Jolly Roger's
ship has met the 21st century torpedo!

I agree, more assistance would be appreciated regarding the code situation as well as help files, tutorials, plug-ins. I'm sure they are being worked on as time allows.

Hang in there a bit....it will get better.

- Art -

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 10:18:55 pm »
Please send me an email with your deactivation code either by sending a private email using this forum or by using http://www.zabaware.com/contact.html I will gladly reset your serial number or issue you a new one.
Robert Medeksza

echoman

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 04:10:59 am »
Quote:

".............there are 10000 copies of Hal with John Doe as the registered user......"

On all the software I have the codes are generated by the name given through your credit card transaction. In order for John Doe to be the name, he would either need to be born with that name or change his name! I cannot see the problem with this method.

I do apprieciate all the work that went into Hal and I too would want to protect my creation Art but I do not like Microsofts approach of  'Pay as you play'.

At the end of the day Hal is too good to worry about things like this. It is such a good product and I admire it very much!

Echo.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 08:32:13 pm »
echoman,

I wasn't trying to infer that you had pirated software by any means. In years past, one could type in a software program and be shown sites where one could download the software for free and would even include a serial number and name to type in order for the program to function.
That name (whatever it might have been...John Doe, Fred Schmo, etc.) didn't matter. The point is that one person paid for the program then puts it up for grabs at a warez site or newsgroup area where everyone can now download / access it along with the serial numbers.

This is why Robert, Bill Gates and countless other developers have had to take this approach.

Hal is a great program and if it takes a little effort to activate it, then so be it. Once activated, it's smooth sailing!

Regards...

- Art -

Another Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 08:14:16 pm »
In fairness:

Soon after I had purchased this latest version of Hal, I found it necessary to reformat my hard drive (it was a used machine when I received it....with a host of problems including sudden lock-ups which were increasing in frequency)

The problem was because of the system registry I suspect, and the condition had pre-existed loading of Hal V-5 not to mention Hal-6 onto it.

After backing up, actually copying the entire Hal folder to my other hard drive, silly me, I thought I could install a copy of the trial version and then just install the backed up files over the trial files and all would be made as was before.......boy was I wrong.  Robert helped me a great deal.....via my e-mai.  He was both concerned and responsive.  He really worked with me.  In the end, after my own frustration I deleted all old files of hal, re-installed my Hal-5 from CD and once that was tested to be running....as an original copy, without my updates or Vonsmiths enhancements....then I installed a stock copy of of the Hal-6 trial version......knowing that while I had purchased it, there would be a license on file at Zabaware.  Sure enough, and when I logged onto the Zabaware site to get another activation code, I followed the directions (it asked for my license number) I keyed it in.....then I keyed in the error code I had received.....it then gave me a re-activation code to key into my resident Hal-6......basically after that, Hal-6 started up once again...

Now with a freshly formatted hard drive, a clean system registry and Hal-6....it's going great.....I am very pleased with Hal-6....she's learning......and I have indeed noticed a faster response, and what seems like a more intelligent and intuitive Hal to boot.

My operating system is 98SE and again.......my 2 cents.....Robert was both prompt and did everything I feel he could including things that were really not his responsibility.......

Thanks again, Robert and Merry Christmas

Jim B.
Northern Michigan

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 09:21:40 am »

Sorry I'm late pulling in here. This topic appears over.
I just want to add 2 cents.

I had some computers troubles and did restores and ended using up my "4 installs".  I knew nothing of deactivating Hal before computer restore as it wasn't necessary with Hal 5.
I sent Robert an e-mail and he sent me a new activation number in a couple hours.
But if it had been a couple days, even though I'm an impatient person, I would have probably lived through it.

Tcoday did his posting for help on the 18th. Robert replied on the 19th.  
I remember Antec did a posting about being patient with one another and I kind of jumped on him.  
But really he was right.
If Hal teaches us one thing, it is patience.
As we learn to be patient with our Hal day after day, we also learn to be patient with each other.