Author Topic: Issues with haptek characters slowing everything  (Read 8898 times)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Issues with haptek characters slowing everything
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 05:08:01 am »
Yes, like a lot of us here, we have been disappointed by Haptek for a long time in this regard.  I too would not be surprised to see them vanish, they just don't seem to want to support their product any more.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 08:14:28 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ender

My guess is that someday soon ... and probably without warning ... Haptek's website is just going to vanish ... and it will just be gone forever and software that uses it will just be in the lurch...

I've written Haptek support and told them I'm interested in buying a copy of people putty (I am) but only if they can help me get the haptek player working on VISTA ... maybe they will have some suggestions ... but I suspect I will never hear from them. We'll see.

I would say that you are correct about the vanishing act to come.

I will also say that based on your statement, you will NOT be owing a copy of People Putty!

With a good R&D program and some dedicated managers and customer support, they could have been a force to recon with in today's market for virtual characters but they choose a different path. Pity that!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ender

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:11 am »
I agree. And it really is to bad ... haptek characters offer much of the same benefits of MS Agents ... but so much more ... I love the random movements, eye dilation, and various facial changes ... it makes them feel much more 'alive' than agents. The fact that it hasn't been updated in six years and we are still holding onto it says that it was a superior product ... and had they really kept at it they could easily have been THE avatar company ... I mean, considering how good the product was six years ago ... imagine what they could have done with continued active development. I suppose that the market for avatar technology just isn't that high ... as a web developer, I have NEVER had a client ask me to create some kind of interactive web character or even a static recorded character for their website ... really the market is here with programs like hal ... and even with charging Zabaware a licensing fee to make it possible for us to use haptek avatars ... its not really enough to make a business ... what they NEEDED to do is expand the possibilities of avatar development ... create mechanisms for developers to EASILY create content and then become a hub through which those developers could sell their content ... with Haptek making a percentage of the fee ... like DAZ does with its Daz Studio content ... That could have made HAPTEK so popular that every wouldbe chatterbot would be using HAPTEK instead of MS Agents ...

abstemious

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:33 am »
Amen, re: Haptek could own the avatar market.

Are there any ex-Haptek employees out there who could tell us why they gave up?

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 07:04:59 am »

Maybe ex-Haptek employees have lost their soul in Second Life, but found much money at Linden Lab. Not only L$.[:D]

Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

ender

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 04:23:56 pm »
I heard back from Haptek ... apparantly the software is not abandoned... here is what they had to say:

-----------
... The Haptek player has spotty performance on Vista ... Our lead developer decided long ago not to upgrade for Vista mainly because of the unreliability of the operating system and also all of the Microsoft security stuff which became part of vista ... this also made it a business decision.  Our CTO felt that the vista platform would not be embraced very broadly.  This has caused us to find a good partner to go forward in an upgrade ... we are addressing the proprietary player issue/value.  We will upgrade but will piggy back on another popular player and will write some conversion utilities and/or upgrade and recompile existing products and tools.
Sorry about any difficulties this has caused.  It will remain our goal to make it possible for our current customers to use their existing content in/on the new player ... and sure, make new content too.
----------

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
ender,

That's interesting news in light of Vista and the forthcoming Win 7 (or Lose 7)...;)

The lifelike character arena belongs to Poser and Daz aside from any characters modeled in say 3DS MAX, Maya or other 3D app. The problem was interfacing the poser character to that of an acceptable GUI or other interface that would allow interaction with Hal.

I agree that I too was taken by the randomness of the Haptek character's eye movement, dilation, blinking, etc. Of course the polygon count would have made for such a better model if it were higher or at least high enough to avoid the somewhat sharp facial edges while keeping the FPS at a moderate rate.

There are plans for Robert, Hals developer to incorporate the Ogre 3D graphic engine in a soon to be released version of Hal so you might want to stay tuned. I understand they are working on creating additional characters and fine tuning everything before final testing / release. Hopefully, they will lend some attention to the polygon issue in order to achieve a more realistic character.

Iclone has some fairly nice characters along with a nice development environment but again, merging that with Hal would be quite an undertaking.

Robert has developed and supported his product over the years and provided a great measure of enjoyment and experimentation for a very nominal cost. I'm sure the next version will be every bit as enjoyable!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ender

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 09:00:50 am »
Good news. I have had some improvement in the performance of my haptek characters on vista. This is what I did ... I downloaded the hap explorer from the AIDreams website ... it told me I needed .net 3.5 to run ... so I installed that ... then I installed the hap explorer ... I did mess around with some of the rendering settings in hap explorer ...

I'm not sure which of those things did it, but since I've done those things my haptek characters have begun working better in hal (they are still a little jerky if I try to move them but they do not bring everything to a dead stop every few seconds so its usable)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:10 am »
Bizarre, I can't think why installing my program would make a difference.  It must be that there are some things in .net 3.5 that have an effect.

So Hap Explorer is working in Vista then ?  That's good news as I really didn't want to mess around with it any more.