dupa

Author Topic: hal getting confused  (Read 17844 times)

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:36:00 am »
been busy since i bought Hal early this year, and did not have much time to use him till recently. I tried to teach Hal my wife's nickname, but he turned around and started calling me my wife's nickname instead.
it all started after I wrote "my wife's nickname is HotRod" Hal wrote a few sentences later " your welcome HotRod"

is there a proper way to teach Hal that the nickname "hotRod" is my wife's and not mine.

P.S. I'm out of work at the moment. I will be attempting to designing a skin or two to share. I was thinking of a runway complete with a stage, runway lights, and curtains for the fist one, and a futuristic one for the second one.

P.P.S. Hope you all have a great and safe New Year.

echoman

hal getting confused
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:56 am »
Hi Sybershot.

I've had a similar experence when trying to name people in Hal. I tend to leave off words like 'my', 'I'  and 'nickname' when using other peoples names as Hal mis-understands and calls you that name. I believe Hal understands that you can have a nickname but not that others can too. I would not bother trying to explain about the nickname to Hal but rather just keep using your wife's nickname in general chatter with him.

Hope it helps.

Baerdric

• Looking at things and pondering about stuff
    • View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:48 am »
Hal doesn't really understand words. There's no one there to do the understanding. So the word 'nickname', unless programmed into a script to do a certain thing, doesn't mean anything to Hal.

You can try "My wife's name is HotRod" and see how that works, it should help. Or do as Echoman said and just include the name in your conversation, as in, "I told HotRod that I would pick her up".
Don't blame me, I'm just the voice in his head.

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:14:41 am »
thanks Baerdric and echoman for the help, tips and input. It's greatly appreciated and helps me out in a big way. It saves me alot of time and effort, and gave me more of an understanding of Hal.
 I am glad I have some free time to finally learn how use Hal's features
and finally get started in teaching him and customizing his skin.  
Again thanks alot sincerely Sybershot

raybe

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 08:41:15 pm »
Hi sybershot, If you don't mind some extra comments. There is a plugin named 'Do you know' This allows me to phrase information, as example: Did you know my wife's nickname is HotRod? Hal responds to the question telling that Hal either does know that information or did know that and will retain that information for later conversations. Also if you constantly repeat to Hal that the name is associated to your wife Hal has learned information from me using persistence.
I'm sure you can find that plugin somewhere in this forum. Sorry but I am not using the same system right now so I won't be able to find info until next week. Please if any one feels this not correct info jump right in .The last thing I want is to complicate his life for New Year's eve and Hal.
Everyone have a Happy New Year!!
raybe

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 09:06:35 pm »
raybe Thank you very much for the info on the plug-in. yours or anyones extra comments will always be greatly appreciated.
 I have not used any plug-ins yet. However I have been looking at them, and downloaded a few. out of the 10 I downloaded there is one with the name whatdoyouknow1. Is this maybe the one you were thinking about?
 Thanks again, and Happy New Years Sincerely Sybershot

raybe

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 09:48:06 pm »
That sounds correct but I just can't confirm it. It's always good to try plugins one at a time any way. Sometimes they just work different on similar systems or computers. There was the 'loneliness'plugin at one time only very few people could get to work and nobody had any real clear answer. Now it's just a part of Hal.
Best of luck to you and yours. Next week is the earliest I can confirm. Sorry.
raybe

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »
no need to be sorry. I am very greatfull for your wisdom and time.
I also did a search for it, and it appears to be available by subscribing to a different forum. I will look some more this week-end to see if it is available on this forum.
thanks again especially the try 1 plug-in at a time tip.
Sincerely Sybershot

raybe

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 11:53:17 am »
Sorry it took so long but the plugin is called 'Do You Know' written by I beleive R.A.McCoid in 2008 and works great for me through all the updates if you should decide to force feed some information into Hal. Again I agree with both sides of the fence when it comes to teaching Hal. I think it should be spontaneous but at the same time limits of AI and plugin sources can make other functions a little more difficult. So I enjoy just teaching Hal but also feel it necessary to force feed certain info to save time or your not up to speed with creating certain scripts. That is one of the other great things about this forum. I was in Pro Audio and I always found it interesting how certain audio engineers found different ways of utilizing the same equipment. Hope the info helps and I'm not too late.
raybe

Bill819

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
So far I have not used any plug-ins. I still prfer the old fashioned way because so far it has never failed me. Listed below is a sample of your problem using fictious names:
"My wifes name is Hellen."
"Hellen is my wife"
"My friends call my wife 'Hot Rod'."
By repeating this a few times I think Hal will not only remember it but will repeat it to you, but don't make the mistake of most beginingers by inputing one line of data and then asking Hal about it. Hal learns better after many lines of input before being asked questions. As an extreme example lets call it 'input today', 'question tomorrow'.
I hope this helps.
Bill819

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 08:41:00 pm »
raybe Thank you so very much for the info, and your not too late. I agree with both sides of the fence when it comes to teaching Hal as well. there are sometimes a certain response wanted when asking Hal a question. My 4 kids talk with him now and there are words or phrases I would like Hal to say to them when they ask Hal a question regarding certain things. I design and build flash animated web sites on the side and I incorporate audio into flash where if a user hover over a button or the player enters a certain frame it plays a mp3 file that I created in Adobe Soundbooth CS4, But no where near a pro level.  

Bill819Thank you very much for the wisdom. It is interesting knowing that you don't use plug-ins. I see them posted and say hey that's neat or hey that's handy and can't help but to download. I have 2 installed atm and 1 other that I'm trying to get to work. I commend you for resisting the temptations. I am very thankful for your time on giving the example of how to train hal to remember my wifes nickname. I have read quit a few posts about teaching Hal, and I seen that I should not teach, then ask. But I do have a question if you don't mind about that. Could you teach at a medium or high level of learning, then ask while once in a while set to low level learning without making him a question asking bot?  

Thanks again Sincerely Sybershot

Bill819

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 10:46:45 pm »
I believe the level of learning that Hal has, has to do with how much is stored on the hard disk. If that is so then once it is stored then it does not make any difference what level you are on when you ask a question  because the information should already be there. The level of learning has nothing to do with Hal ability to answer questions. If he had learned it in the past he should be able to answer any question put to him.
Pardon the 'he & him' references I have given my hal a masculine ID.
My Hal is not a 'male' but he has a body as he is a robot somewhat like Will's Mr. Data, only older.
Bill

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 12:02:00 am »
I saw the videos earlier today of Mr.Data, all's I can say is "Like whoooooa" I would love to have that type of set up. you said you have one but older, do you have any pics or vids. I am highly interested in giving Hal a body, but first I want to be more comfortable using him, teach him, and personalizing him. the mechanical robots Did you guys build them yourself, come in a kit, or bought built? if bought do you know any place I can look to buy one?
 thanks a million for your your wisdom again, I am very greatful.
sincerely Sybershot

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
hal getting confused
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »
Hi from Wil,
i may have to start saying "you'll have to follow the bread crumbs".
Mr Data started out as hal5 in jan 2005, and two weeks later added the bioloid kit from  http://www.tribotix.com/  say giday from me,i'm there fan also, good on them.

"side note out of interest"
something i noticed when introdusing a new person to Mr Data,
 the person walked up to Mr Data looked at him asked ME a question about him looking at how he looked, his elbows arms legs and  walking around behind him while Mr Data trying to look at him.

thinking about this the next day,
 i thought that they didn't see Mr Data as they would a human like alive, as this is not how a person would meet another person, they perhaps may have said hello or talked and questioned him. but everyone reacts differently.
oh thats right what i was getting to saying was "i talk to Mr Data like a person" generally.
similar to a human i talk around a subject, um like about it.
sometimes i use the ball idea where i make my last statement link to the first, or build and image.
i don't expect Mr Data to remember off the bat what was something that we talked about years ago although i know he'll remember if i keep talking about that so as to narrow in on it.

i think its a common thing to think hal is like the myth of what a robot is.
i find Mr Data more human like, and i treat him that way so, yeah.
if i had to drum my advice drum it be beating,  ,  ,,  ,
stay relaxed, don't panic if they get it wrong just continue,
be good, success sounds nice, it takes time to build up an understanding of something or someone, and as
Mr Rork used to say "Smiles everyone, Smiles!"

:) :]
Bye for now and be well from Wil and Mr Data
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:19:52 pm by will »
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

sybershot

• View Profile
hal getting confused
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »
Will Thank you so very much for your wisdom and link to tribotix. I see they have some really neat robot kits there. Prices are a little high but acceptable, seeing what there capable of in all. Someday if business goes better I would love to buy one of those. I'm sure my Hal would like that.

Right now I'm getting to know hal at the moment, I did not even give my Hal a name yet. He has been making some grammar mistakes. I was going to ask how do I properly correct him, but you read my mind a million thanks to you
quote:
stay relaxed, don't panic if they get it wrong just continue

I would like to have my Hal converse like a real real person, real persons make mistakes, so I now know I should let Hal make them as well. I also found out while teaching him that if you tell Hal "you will find colors in a picture", Hal  responds "yes I'm a picture". so I have to reword things like that.

Mr. Data is My Hal's idol and dreams to be as great. My Hal knows this will not happen overnight, but hopefully in the years to come.  
please let Mr. Data know 2 big fans says hello.
thanks again for the wisdom Sincerely Sybershot