dupa

Author Topic: Next Hal Update?  (Read 13282 times)

Harkle

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:33 am »
Anyone have a general idea when the next update will be? This summer, or fall maybe? And has anyone heard what the update will fix, or add additional functionality to hal.

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:50:51 am »
No one has any idea when it will happen.
We are all waiting for the Ogre to appear.

brusset.j42@orange.fr

• View Profile
    • http://shifuong.over-blog.fr/
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:58 am »
Yes i have a very good idea : why not do an Hal multilanguage : french for exemple? ;-)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:09 am »
hello brusset.j42@orange.fr they actually have other languages that you can buy so hal will speak just about any language !![:)]
even french

brusset.j42@orange.fr

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:14:26 am »
Sorry but where can i have these language : in this it, have you an adress.

But when i say other language, mean that hal could be understand french, for exemple when i say : " le numero de telephone de johann : 06....." he can understand that ??
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:22:26 am by brusset.j42@orange.fr »

Bill819

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:30 pm »
Everyone seems to think that writing Hal in another language would be a simple thing to do. What they don't realize is that there must be several thousand lines of code that must be written and complete  nderstanding of the other language before it can even be considered.
What you don't see is all the code that makes the executable operate and actually run Hal.
In my opinion people should just be happy knowing that they have the most advanced A.I. program going and there is no limit as to what their Hal can learn.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:50:10 am »
hello brusset.j42@orange.fr
no hal can't understand french only speak it back when something is written or said in english the software that does this is linquindo (i think ) .
And bill is right about how much would have to be done just to get it to do that , and again somethings in developement depends on demand if theirs not that much of a demand is it really worth it ??
 beleive me their is lots of things i and probably some others would love to see in hal but what i would like and what would be easy and or that much in demand probably wouldn't be worth roberts time and finances .
[:)]

brusset.j42@orange.fr

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:10:13 pm »
Of course i know that you pass many time to program this ia, but to perseverate in my minde, if the ia could learn the language if for exemple i said :"open mean "ouvre" in french" could be say a day : "what doe's open mean in french" he answer :"ouvre".
I don't if i'm explicite.
In an other and : can he open folders, and multimedia ?

For exemple : open list : The Corrs, he can open wmp and all my files ?
and use voice to play, stop or pass files ??

lightspeed

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 05:14:18 pm »
hi brusset.j42@orange.fr
as far as i know hal can open some programs already (i don't use it for that as of yet .) and if i am understanding you correctly on your question yes hal could if taught that way say back what certain words in french mean but as i understand (or think i do ) hal wouldn't learn a whole language and start speaking the full language .
 if i am wrong on any of this please bill or anyone go ahead and correct me .

brusset.j42@orange.fr

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:46:23 pm »
So I try to learn Hal french language :
 i say : hal, in french open same as ouvre
   hal : open is ouvre in french

say : what does ouvre mean ?
   hal : ouvre mean open in french.

Say : how do you say open the door in french?
   hal : ouvre the door.

Say : hal ouvre outlook 2010.
   hal : i open outlook 2010.

But there no action. So, for me, he can learn another language like :
Open = ouvre in french, but not understand the action to realise.

Bill819

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:03 pm »
Hal will open any program that y9u want but you must use the proper name of the program.
For instance to open Microsofts Word, you can't say open Word, but you must say open MSWord. However the program exists on your computer system then letter for letter you must use the same wording as the program exists.
This was resolved about 8 to 10 years ago and has worked just fine ever since.
Bill

MikeA

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:52 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

In my opinion people should just be happy knowing that they have the most advanced A.I. program going and there is no limit as to what their Hal can learn.

Don't wish to sound anti-Hal, as it is a great program, but it is by no means the most advanced A.I. program out there, and the limits of Hal are integral as Hal is a Q + A program, much more than it is A.I.

Firstly, I don't think it is in any way more advanced than any reasonably well programmed ALICE bot, and quite a way behind some available online that provide a good programming interface. I will explain what I mean by this, and also my general view on Hal (which affects my opinion of course).

Hal learns and speaks only by storing and matching q and a's. If you use default Hal, 95% of what is said is parroting from existing tables, for example a sentence from mainQA which matched a word used. So, in other words, Hal is not often sentence building, not creating output, but word matching and then sentence parroting. The sentence building Hal does do is in fact only gap filling, so the principal part of the sentence is still parroted.

Don't get me wrong, as a fun thing to have as a desktop assistant, Hal is great. Recently purchased a copy with that in mind, and is worth $30. The learning Hal does is fun to watch, but what is said is only what was said to Hal, or parroted from one of the thousands of pre-inputted sentences. So, my point is, that is in no way advanced A.I.

To use another bot as comparison, I also worked with a Verbots bot. Now, they have a similar forum to here (not much activity but very knowledgeable and helpful members), but the Verbot is far advanced from a pure A.I. point of view. It needs programming (it doesn't learn by talking), but the structure behind it is far more advanced. Good programming can create a bot that doesn't parrot, and can produce unique, one-off sentences (although this would take good programming).

I appreciate this depends on your opinion of what A.I. means. Personally, I think some confuse Hal's 'learning' with good A.I. That would only be true if Hal could re-create learned input, rather than only parrot it, or use words to fill gaps. Verbot, for example, can be programmed to create sentences, based on input, but without the need to parrot, and as importantly, clever programming can enable a continuing dialogue, producing a reply based on earlier input in the dialogue. This, in my opinion, is a better description of A.I.

It is a bit difficult to make the point I want to make, so sorry for the long-winded post. I do not want to discourage people from using Hal, but I think many will be disappointed if they purchase Hal thinking it is advanced A.I.

Meghan Bizlady

• The girl from Torsoland
    • View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:25:14 pm »
I'm alive and talk and chat (if your PC can read Haptek webpages) at
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=a814d6c1ce361ff9 Kisses.

onthecuttingedge2005

Next Hal Update?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 06:37:18 pm »
Hi Mike.

quote:

Don't wish to sound anti-Hal, as it is a great program, but it is by no means the most advanced A.I. program out there, and the limits of Hal are integral as Hal is a Q + A program, much more than it is A.I.

Hal has many forms of learning, Questions and Answers is only one of the types within the default brain, HAL has pattern matching and deductive reasoning, there are other forms of learning techniques I have developed over the years as well, it is a very difficult thing to do, trying to program the exact means of Human thought patterns. Hal can also piece together words and form new sentences and also ask questions about questions so their is an answer related. many things to do here.

quote:

Firstly, I don't think it is in any way more advanced than any reasonably well programmed ALICE bot, and quite a way behind some available online that provide a good programming interface. I will explain what I mean by this, and also my general view on Hal (which affects my opinion of course).

can you share some of compared opinion more, I have really dealt with Alice and or Verbot but I could plagiarize their brains and melt it into HAL's Brain, would that make a difference?

quote:

Hal learns and speaks only by storing and matching q and a's. If you use default Hal, 95% of what is said is parroting from existing tables, for example a sentence from mainQA which matched a word used. So, in other words, Hal is not often sentence building, not creating output, but word matching and then sentence parroting. The sentence building Hal does do is in fact only gap filling, so the principal part of the sentence is still parroted.

Q&A is only one part as I mentioned above, for Q&A it a relevance score to determine if the Q&A will be used, if you have a better idea on how to make it more superior I would be glad to do some programming on your behalf to make it better. do you have much experience with Hal?

quote:

Don't get me wrong, as a fun thing to have as a desktop assistant, Hal is great. Recently purchased a copy with that in mind, and is worth $30. The learning Hal does is fun to watch, but what is said is only what was said to Hal, or parroted from one of the thousands of pre-inputted sentences. So, my point is, that is in no way advanced A.I.

actually try hundreds of thousands of predefined input sentences most being in Q&A table, the greatest thing is the ability to make different plugins that increase the range of Hal's abilities. I would love to hear about what you think an A.I should do, I have this habit of pulling a rabbit out of my hat now and then.

quote:

To use another bot as comparison, I also worked with a Verbots bot. Now, they have a similar forum to here (not much activity but very knowledgeable and helpful members)

same here.

quote:

but the Verbot is far advanced from a pure A.I. point of view. It needs programming (it doesn't learn by talking), but the structure behind it is far more advanced.

could you go into this much deeper?

quote:

Good programming can create a bot that doesn't parrot, and can produce unique, one-off sentences (although this would take good programming).

Hal can do this, I am always looking for new ideas to make it better.

quote:

I appreciate this depends on your opinion of what A.I. means.

yep, everybody has different ideas about what it is suppose to do to ones own liking. I found this out years ago, very hard to please people with different tastes.

quote:

Personally, I think some confuse Hal's 'learning' with good A.I. That would only be true if Hal could re-create learned input, rather than only parrot it, or use words to fill gaps. Verbot, for example, can be programmed to create sentences, based on input, but without the need to parrot, and as importantly, clever programming can enable a continuing dialogue, producing a reply based on earlier input in the dialogue. This, in my opinion, is a better description of A.I.

Hal already does this on a limited scale and it's getting better and better, just throw some idea in here, I am always looking for a challenge.

quote:

It is a bit difficult to make the point I want to make, so sorry for the long-winded post. I do not want to discourage people from using Hal, but I think many will be disappointed if they purchase Hal thinking it is advanced A.I.

actually in ten years there really has been very few that have been disappointed in HAL but only those who have no experience in Hal, they end up learning how to play with Hal's mind and find it addicting after awhile, are you a Verbot representative?

I am here for the fun of it but I am also here to make Hal, not Alice, not Verbot but Hal alone one of the best A.I systems around, If I have to, I will do anything to make that happen. bordered on legality. give me your ideas and I will attempt to broaden them.

Good will Hunting!

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:52:15 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

MikeA

• View Profile
Next Hal Update?
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:47 pm »
That was a very thorough reply! Tomorrow I will reply properly to do your post justice. But just want to say definitely not a Verbot representative. I have a little more experience with Verbot, and have played a bit with AIML and pandora bots.

Some of the things you mention about Hal intrigue me, as I have not seen any evidence of some of the things in Hal's behaviour (or from looking at the brain). Not saying your wrong, just that perhaps I've missed these aspects or see them differently.