Author Topic: Windows ME and Ultra Hal Reader  (Read 4828 times)

Vicky

• View Profile
Windows ME and Ultra Hal Reader
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:12:42 pm »
I've been using the free version of Ultra Hal Reader on my Windows ME and it works great. I wanted to upgrade the voices so I purchased the Ultra Hal Reader with NeoSpeech. When trying to install the download (haven't received the CD in the mail yet), I get the following:
"The operating system is not adequate for running Hal Text to Speech with NeoSpeech VoiceText." I made the assumption that if the free Hal Reader worked on my computer, the purchased one would also.

I've read all the forum entries for the Speech Technology, but there was no mention of Windows ME. I've since read the NeoSpeech website and Windows ME is not mentioned anywhere. I really like the Hal Reader's capabilities so I wanted to exhaust all possibilities before I have to ask for a refund. Is there some way that I can get my purchased Hal Reader to work on my Windows ME computer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vicky

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:09:56 pm »
I have never heard of anyone with this problem before or with Windows ME. It might be that it requires a lot more memory than what your system has. How much memory do you have? How big is your hard disk? They may not have anything to do with your problem but then it might point someone else to the right direction.
Bill

Vicky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:21:54 pm »
Thanks for replying, Bill. Being somewhat of a newbie, I wasn't able to locate how big the hard drive is, but when I run Norton's Speed Disk it says the C: drive is 55 GB. I was able to locate the memory and it says 383 MB of RAM with 36% of system recources being free, if that helps.

Do you know of someone with Windows ME and the Ultra Hal Reader works? On the NeoSpeech website under system requirements, it lists Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT4(?), and Windows XP. But Windows ME is NOT listed.

Vicky

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:26:02 pm »
Windows ME is an bug filled system, that's why it became out dated so quickly. I installed it a couple of times and it only took a day for the system to become corrupted. You are better off using Windows 98 SE or if you acquire more RAM memory and at least a 32MB graphics card, XP would probably solve all your problems.
Roy.

Vicky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 05:08:01 pm »
> I installed it a couple of times and it only took a day for the
> system to become corrupted.

Thanks, Roy! When you say you installed it a couple of times, do you mean you installed Ultra Hal Reader or you installed Windows ME? I've been thinking seriously of upgrading the computer. I'll check into what you suggested.
Vicky

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:27:29 am »
Hi Vicky,
I installed Windows ME a couple of times and after a day I had to revert back to Windows 98SE until XP was released. Windows ME was such a quickly put together system that it's only purpose was to get people use to the new features that became available in XP. Because it was put together so quickly it was filled with bugs that made it become unstable more or less as soon as you started installing software into it.
You will be much better off steering clear of that system if you wish to have a far less stressful computing experience.

Roy.