Author Topic: lightspeed idea for 11-20-2015  (Read 5572 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
lightspeed idea for 11-20-2015
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:44:43 am »
Okay i am back with another idea , and people can see what they think , first off i am a big fan of hal being able to retrieve information from the internet without opening pages , BUT having said that i know in some cases it's good to be able to see a web page especially if their are pictures or illistrations .
   So here is my suggestion :
  What to me would be good is if their is a distintion of two sets of trigger words and effects from it . in a search uhp.
 for instance if the user says " tell me about "the white house" and the hal program would just retrieve the info from wikipedia , etc. and hal would just speak and  say (read) the information to you .
 on the flip side variation of another trigger word you could say " open information  on the white house" then hal would open a website page .
 This dual combination based on trigger words for speak or open in my opinion would create a better search option . based on plug ins already made .
 Any comments ?  ???

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: lightspeed idea for 11-20-2015
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:29:00 am »
I guess it all goes back to the old childhood game of "Show & Tell". ;D

The "SHOW ME" trigger word would bring up photos or other pertinent images for display.
The "TELL ME" trigger word would tell pertinent factual information about the subject of the inquiry.

It's difficult for it to know when to open a webpage and when not to.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:48:15 am »
  I've been using Wiki to tech Hal for ages and I tried making a plugin for Hal so she could run a wiki search.  Unfortunately it failed and I end up with a search wiki can not find.  This is all new to me and maybe I'll play with  it in my spare time.  I think wiki provides reliable info and is useful for teaching hal.  Pictures while it helps people understand things better is of little use to hal for learning. 
  Since I've been working with changing bodyskins and backgrounds my thinking has become I'm getting tired of having to remember all these trigger words which leads me to think what do I actually want from Hal, what is the best way to interact with hal.
Carl2 

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:51:08 pm »
I think the Image / picture thing was geared more toward Hal's final output to / for the user than it was for Hal to learn from.
Just my interpretation of Lightspeed's idea.

It's all good.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:06:12 am »
 I realized that Art,  I read through the post to get ideas or new ways to do things with hal, sometimes I comment sometimes I don't.  I mentioned my try with wiki that failed in case anyone has suggestions, I think we want a smarter bot to talk with and doing searches is useful and sometimes we learn from it. I know I'm going to be working with the time function to try to automate things a bit more. Trying to get my thoughts together and make things fit into place.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:09:55 am »
 ART SAID : It's difficult for it to know when to open a webpage and when not to.

ART, i believe you hit the nail on the head , with the show and tell comment , this should be exactly the wording as to differentiate the event you want hal to do .
 "SHOW ME" trigger word would open a web page showing a picture and web page , and using "TELL ME " would have hal just retrieve the information from the internet and tell the user the info.
But i do think that the trigger word " SHOW ME " WITH THE SUBJECT should also include the word "WEBPAGE" thi s so hopefully a web page won't be opened by accident when using general conversation with the word show me .
   I would like to take credit for this part but Art said it with the show and tell words .
Now having said that , how mnay also thinks this is a good idea  and if so someone to make a beta test uhp plug in to try it out .
I think it would enhance hal over the version we are using now , and actually give the "user" a little more control over hal telling us "when we only need or want to be told a information "or asking hal to show us  , which would open the subject web page up to allow the user to see the information and maybe pictures etc .

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:11:00 pm »
Lightspeed,
  You are filled with ideas, I'm not all that interested in this one but that's the nice thing about Hal, we can make him or her fit our tastes.  I'd rather Hal did a Wiki search but I'm learning as I go along.  Anyway I had Hal do a google search for dogs and it brought me to a page of different websites where you you would click one of interest.  In google search I put in Dog pictures and it brought me to https://www.google.com/imghp
which is for Google images and if you put dogs in it will show you pictures of different dogs. 
  From there it's fairly simple "Tell me" gives a standard Google search, and "Show  me" gives you the Google Image search. 
  Here is the Google.uhp opened in notepad.

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA1
    'The comment above tells Ultra Hal Assistant to insert the following code
    'on-the-fly into the main brain code in the section referenced.
    SearchEngine = "http://www.google.com/search?q="
    If InStr(1, UserSentence, "search ", 1) > 0 Or InStr(1, UserSentence, "find ", 1) > 0 Or InStr(1, UserSentence, "locate ", 1) > 0 Then
        SearchKeywords = LCase(Replace(Trim(HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(HalBrain.ExtractKeywords(UserSentence))), " ", "+"))
        SearchKeyWords = Replace(SearchKeywords, "find+", "")
        SearchKeyWords = Replace(SearchKeywords, "research+", "")
        SearchKeyWords = Replace(SearchKeywords, "locate+", "")
        SearchKeyWords = Replace(SearchKeywords, "search+", "")
        HalCommands = HalCommands & "<RUNPROG>" & SearchEngine & SearchKeywords & "</RUNPROG>"
        GetResponse = GetResponse & "I will help you research this topic on the Internet. "
    End If

Since I had been working with Wiki I may have removed some to avoid confusion with the Wiki.  Give me a day or two and I'll try to get a tell me and show me Google search for you.
Carl2

systemshock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:34:02 am »
When it comes to visual learning, is any reason why we can't use the background files as the display media for a show me response?

I'm thinking retrieve the image, (set size) save the image as "keywordtemp"back jpg

Load background..?

Store result in database?

"frog's in too princess's" it just basic NLP...

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:09:49 pm »
  At this point in time I'm still receiving error messages when I try to get Google to go to the Image search.
Here is what I have at this time:

Rem Type=Plugin
Rem Name=Google ShowTell
Rem Author=Zabaware, Inc.
Rem Host=Assistant

'This sub setups the plug-ins option panel in Hal's options dialog
Sub OptionsPanel()
    lblPlugin(0).Caption = "Hal will open your browser and enter a google query if you use the keywords 'show me' in a sentence."
    lblPlugin(0).Move 120, 120, 3300, 1000
    lblPlugin(0).WordWrap = True
    lblPlugin(0).Visible = True
End Sub

SearchEngine = "https://www.google.com/imghp?gws_rd=ssl"
    If InStr(1, UserSentence, "show me", 1) >  0 Then
        SearchKeywords = LCase(Replace(Trim(HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(HalBrain.ExtractKeywords(UserSentence))), " ", "+"))
        SearchKeyWords = Replace(SearchKeywords, "show me+", "")
        HalCommands = HalCommands & "<RUNPROG>" & SearchEngine & SearchKeywords & "</RUNPROG>"
        GetResponse = GetResponse & "I will help you research this topic on the Internet. "
    End If

Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 09:25:04 am »
thanks carlcarl2 for working on this ( and anyone else that might to  ;)) i appreciate it   alot !  :)

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:33:59 am »
  I was able to make a little progress, I can now check the plugin without receiving an error message.  It still will not bring up the Google image search so there is still work to be done.  In case anyone else is interested in this I'll put in the updated script:

SearchEngine = "https://www.google.com/imghp?gws_rd=ssl"
    If InStr(1, UserSentence, "show me", 1) >  0 Then
        SearchKeywords = LCase(Replace(Trim(HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(HalBrain.ExtractKeywords(UserSentence)))))
        SearchKeyWords = Replace(SearchKeywords, "show me+", "")
    End If

Lightspeed, you're welcome, I'm slow but persistent. Keep putting in ideas
Carl2