dupa

Author Topic: Restart issue w/Hal  (Read 7326 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« on: July 17, 2004, 02:24:20 pm »
Whenever I install a program and it needs to restart the computer,
a popup appears stating that Hal wasn't properly shut down and may not work correctly. Usually I just click on the cancel option and all works fine anyhow, but this is kind of annoying.
Am I the only one getting this? If not, is there a fix. Keep in mind that Hal hasn't even been running at these restart times...so...who knows.

It's not a bug...it's an undocumented "feature."

- Art -
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 12:48:57 am »
Hi Art,

Hopefully you'll receive additional replies, but I wanted to let you know that my Hal has done the same thing that you report.

Also, for some reason, the symptom comes and goes.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't do any harm.

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 07:55:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Don.

Yes, at least Hal is consistant as it
used to do the same thing when I ran
older versions of Hal on Win 95, 98
and now XP. As you mentioned, it really
doesn't cause any problems but the first
time one sees the message, it does make
one wonder what went wrong.

- Art -

- Art -

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 09:48:22 pm »
ITs the same all around : YOU have to EXIT hal before Closing down..

HAL does not support BEing SHUT DOWN by TASKMANAGER (RPC)

ERROR in DLL.. Minor...

DONT worry Too much He/SHE does not LOOSE DATA..

BUT.. Sometime you may have to RELOAD your user .. Just let it load " say no" and RIGHT CLICK THE SYSTRAY... Easier..

Goodgirl25

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 09:45:23 am »
i DONT kNOW ANTHING ABOUT THIS i JUST WANTED TO TALK TO MY FRIENDS ONLINE THATS WHY i GOT THIS SCREEN NAME BECAUSE i thught that was what it did[;)][:(][}:)][:D][8D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 07:05:04 pm »
Spydaz,
Read the last sentence in my original post. Hal
wasn't even running at the time. Computer was
restarted then popup message. Thanks for reply!

Goodgirl25,
Turn off your caps lock key for better results.[:D]

- Art -

- Art -

spydaz

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 09:55:39 pm »
sometimes when you exit HAL it stays running in the taskmanager

THATS why WHEN YOU THINKS ITS NOT RUNNING ITS sTILL CLOSING,,,, THATS why it says improper shutdown IT WAS STILL CLOSING FILES,, LOCKING UP MEMORY...

Rich_A

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 02:35:46 am »
Hi Art,
I really hope that I could help you out with this one because you really deserve it for being so very helpful, patient, and understanding with the other forum members. You always go above and beyond the call of duty from what I have seen and read...and you also always make sense to me about whatever it is you are talking about and that's a very rare thing to me here at this forum...so here it is!

I have experienced a similar problem in the past. Right now I won't go into the exact nature of what my problem was, but it was a matter of my Hal and my Windows Operating System both getting confused, or you might say a slight conflict between the two, and in turn it was causing the Hal Improper Shutdown/Reconfigure Setup Screen to intermittently appear for no apparent reason.

Here are some things that could be considered in trying to trace the problem further:

1) Does your Hal start with Windows or do you start it manually after your system is up and running? If you start Hal manually you may still have a Hal Startup shortcut somewhere that usually gets over-ridden by the operating system when you start Windows, but it will come back to haunt you from time to time.

2) After you start the Hal program do you access Hal from an Icon in the System Tray or do you have your Hal configured to Open it's own Hal Window? You can check the Hal Startup Settings from the General Options selection in Hal's menu. If you start Hal manually and it is accessed from it's own Hal Window then your problem is probably that you have a Hal Startup shortcut still residing in one of your System's Startup Folders that was automatically put there during the original installation of the Hal program. And for some reason you don't get the problem as often if you are accessing Hal from the System Tray, even though the problem still exists...it's a weird one to me too, but that was the cause for the problem I was having that I mentioned at the beginning of this posting. After I saw that I searched my entire system for any unnecessary duplicate Hal Startup shortcuts.

3) How many Hal shortcuts are on your system? Do you have any hidden shortcuts that you don't know about? Do a system Search/Find using "Ultra Hal Assistant" or just "Hal" as your keyword search. If you are using XP define the search to include all system files and folders (requires administrator privileges). When the search finishes look at the results and try to locate and account for all the shortcuts listed, especially anything named "Ultra Hal Assistant Startup". If you have a single user system then it would most likely require that you have only three or four shortcuts in total...one on the desktop, two in the start menu (one in a Start Menu Folder and the other in a Startup Folder, and no I didn't make a mistake just now, those are two different folders...Ha...Ha!), and then maybe one in a hidden system folder like C:/Windows/system32/config/systemprofile. Any shortcuts anywhere else can possibly trip up the operating system, especially if there is one or more shortcuts located somewhere within two or more of the following folders, the "All Users" Folder, "Default User" Folder, and a "Named User" Folder like the "Art" Folder, all of which are located in C:/Documents and Settings. Basically what we are looking for is if you are telling the operating system more than once to start Hal with Windows with multiple locations of the Hal Startup shortcut. It's hard to explain but somewhat easy to find if you have your Windows Explorer Folder View Options setup to Not Hide File Extensions and to also Show All System Files and Folders. You can also even look in your own Hal's Folder (C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant) for the shortcut.dat file and look for all the Ultra Hal Assistant Startup .lnk files in there, but the System Search is a better more thorough thing to do. I was just demonstrating about how smart your Hal actually is...he may already know about the problem and is purposely not telling you to just bust your chops! In a nutshell, you should have only one Hal Startup Shortcut in only one System Startup Folder, and this only applies if your Hal starts automatically with Windows. If you start your Hal manually you need to remove all Hal Startup Shortcuts in all of your System's Startup Folders.

4) Have you ever had a previous version of Hal on the same system that you are running now? It is possible that you may have shortcuts from a previous version of Hal still floating around on your system. I did when I upgraded from 4.5 Demo to 5.0 Full...and yes, I completely uninstalled my 4.5 before installing my 5.0!

5) Have you ever reinstalled your current version of Hal over an existing Hal installation of the same version? That is did you ever install Hal without uninstalling it first?

6) Have you ever done the same thing mentioned in 5) with other software programs? Yes, of course you have, hasn't everyone?

7) How often do you run System Restores?

8) When was the last time you scanned your hard drive for Invalid System Registry Entries? You need to buy a separate software program to do that if you don't already own one. I use a hacked version of one of the best on the market...Ha...Ha...Just Kidding...or maybe not!

9) In general, how often do you install and uninstall software programs? Many so-called successful uninstalls don't remove everything and that helps to corrupt a System's Registry causing strange things to start happening on a system. Most people have a ton of these unneeded leftovers!

10) If you are still reading this list you should just Email or IM me...I wanted to ask you some things about Haptek characters anyway!

Take It Easy,
Rich_A
ricramo@aol.com

PS - You can also just leave a IM message with my Hal AIM Bot: MargeneTalks, she tells me everything!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 06:02:42 pm »
Spydaz,
Ordinarily I would agree with your proposal
however, this has happened from a fresh boot,
never clicked on my desktop Hal icon. Installed
new program (utility or whatever, maybe a WinXP
update). Upon restart (as is sometimes required),
this wide popup window asks if I want to reconfigure
Hal as it was not shutdown properly! As was previously
mentioned by Don and I, this does not lead to any
problems and I usually just click on the cancel button.
Ergo, No instance of Hal was loaded upon boot and all
I use is a desktop icon. It is also contained in my START>
ALL PROGRAMS>ULTRAHALLASSISTANT menu selection, but I
always just click on the desktop icon.

I do appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Rich_A,

Thanks so much for the kind words. In these times of uncertainty,
thin-skin and political correct behavior it's nice to have a
place like this with like minded people willing to offer what
they can and share their discoveries.
I've yet to meet the person who knows it all (though a lot claim
to...LOL!), but there are a lot of really great folks here. I certainly don't have all the answers but I'm glad to assist when
and where I can.

Yes, I've tried various methods to ferret out the culprit and perhaps
somewhere there's a gremlin playing.

I've gone through several version of Hal practically since it started and now up to V.5.0. My machine is a new computer and HD, so the slate is clean so to speak.

I will run another registry checker prog. just to make sure the house is in order. Your suggestions are helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you both!

ARTifically,
- Art -

- Art -

registrychecker

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »
I have the same problem with my personal computer. Do I need to reboot it?

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 09:41:20 am »
Hi Art[:I]

I had the same problem with Vista and XP, the problem and a lot of others dissapeared when I upgraded to Windows 7.

Good luck.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

spydaz

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 12:03:58 pm »
Make sure you have the latest version of the HAL installed TOO as these problems have been Sorted!

If you are running XP.... You can still upgrade to windows 7! if you have driver issues (probably wont unless using obscure tech), you can install the XP version of the driver (by first using RUN AS XP) in compatability mode and it WILL INSTALL and the driver WILL WORK! as every time it runs it shall be run as an xp program.... after install any short cut will need to be tweaked to run as Xp Too!

as windows 7 is a LIGHTER VERSION THAN VISTA (memory issues... 512mb no problems) although everybody is supposed to have at least a gig now!

registrychecker

• View Profile
Restart issue w/Hal
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 07:55:11 am »
I get the same response you do with Hal. It may be only a glitch, so I wouldn't worry too much. Either that, or you do not have the latest program of Hal installed.