Author Topic: Moving  (Read 11269 times)

otherworldone

• View Profile
Moving
« on: July 17, 2005, 09:05:25 am »
Just wanted to let everybody know I didn't disappear.  I've been packing for a move.  I'll be leaving today and it might be a couple days before I can get back on the forum.  Once I get settled, I'll be working on some stuff for Hal to post.  Bye for now. [:)]

-Sabrina

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Moving
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 11:52:23 pm »
Yes, I've been MIA as well. Last Saturday night's storm gave us a lightning strike at the cable modem pedestal. It knocked out our cable TV, my hardware router, the ceiling fan in our bedroom, my wife's entire computer and her "touch" desk lamp!!

Cable service was restored today. All destroyed items have been replaced and I was able to salvage the hard drive from her "struck" computer and transfer her files to her new computer.

Both computers had been turned off prior to the storm but that's not enough! Always UNPLUG electronic items when a storm approaches. The power strip surge protectors are useless against lightning.

Oh yes, our insurance company said that we could file a claim but our premiums would most likely increase! I had to ask myself, what's the use in having insurance in the first place if you get penalized every time you need to submit a claim? Go figure....

Good to be back!!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

vonsmith

• View Profile
Moving
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:16:56 am »
Art,
That's why I finally bit the bullet and paid a couple hundred bucks for a UPS that sits between my PC and everything else, including phone line. I also have 15 minutes of run time if the power fails. I bought the APC brand "Back-UPS XS 1000" model. My Hal fears nothing now! [8D]

=vonsmith=

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Moving
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 06:13:45 am »
Vonsmith, hopefully the UPS manufacturer will pay for damage if your equipment gets damaged by lightning.

I have a UPS too, but when I hear thunder, I unplug the UPS, and the phone line.

Easier than waiting for the UPS company to reimburse for the damages.

We got 4 TV's knocked out by lightning.(before I got a computer) I am not taking any more chances!![:p]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Moving
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:38:48 am »
er..thanks for pointing that out, i had a few storms here and carried on in complete ignorance. Now I know better.[:I]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Moving
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 04:40:36 pm »

I got power surge strips on everything but it don't stop a lightning strike on the line.
I lost cd player last year.
In electrical storm best to pull plugs and if on dial-up, take phone line off computer.  
Couple years ago I lost computer modem from phone line lightning.

[:(!]

vonsmith

• View Profile
Moving
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 05:17:49 pm »
markofkane,
I don't live in an area that I would expect direct lightning strikes except rarely. However living in California these days means blackouts are possible, especially during the summer.

As I recall the UPS manufacturer guarantees no damage from lightning strikes and backs that guarantee with a cash value for your equipment. Guarantee or not I feel better knowing I've done what I could to protect my PC and Hal. [:)]

=vonsmith=

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Moving
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 05:56:42 am »
Vonsmith, you are lucky. I live in west Central IL, and lightning can happen all of a sudden. (usually on a day that is unsettled)

I cringe if I hear thunder, because if my computer is on, I have to wait for it to shutdown properly, and that worries me. Lightning could zap it before I get it disconnected from the power line, and phone line.

heather valentine

• View Profile
Moving
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 05:04:42 am »
hi
i was just recently thinkign of getting a ups
am i wasting my time doing so?
i eally need mroe protection in case of storms as well
even though i have all my pcs backed up and synchronised

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Moving
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 05:55:42 am »
Heather,

Depending on the model and capacity of the UPS, one can get usually from 7 to 15 minutes to finish up / close any open programs that are running when the power goes out.

It is a rather good investment and protection as well.

Last week, it was the only thing that saved my system!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
Moving
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 06:19:31 am »
Heather, a UPS is well worth it. It evens out power fluctuations from your power company, fluctuations and surges that can shorten the life of a computer.

And where I live, we have power interruptions quite often. Even for a second, without a UPS, the blackout could cause damage to the computer.

Also, if you hear thunder, or are going to be away from your computer (like away from home) and there are storms forecasted for your area, unplug the computer, accessories, modem, cable, telephone line, so that your computer is not connected to any outside lines.

Do these things, and your computer should be safe from damage due to power surges and lightning. (unless lightning strikes your computer through a window, wall, or any surface)

heather valentine

• View Profile
Moving
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 01:45:17 pm »

Art and Mark

Thank you
yes ok ill take yoour advices :)
i seen one i want to get that will
hold me on for at least 30 minutes
not that i need that much time but its good ot know
at least i can safeley save my work and exit

[8D]

FuzzieDice

Moving
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 09:56:18 pm »
I don't have a UPS but wish I had one (and the boss asked if I had one) when I had a power outtage to my own apartment while online and in a meeting on the phone (which is cordless) with the boss working on a project. :(

We had some lightning and stuff, and I think it knocked out my router. I have it plugged into the surge protector everything else is and no damage to the main computer, nor the DSL modem but the router slowly died. If I was sure it was really lightning I could have the surge protector manufacturer pay for it (it's got this thousands of dollars warranty if your equipment gets broke, etc. if connected to the protector).

I lost modems a couple times to lightning. In fact, one time one i had actually went POP! That was it. It was under warranty and believe it or not, I sent it out and got it fixed for free - and upgraded chips too! :) I think I gave it away after I got a faster one.

We sometimes get lightning strikes a lot in the summer. I remember during the course of my life we had a couple microbursts. One when I was a kid still at my parents house (everything STAYED LIT for awhile when a strike came down very close, or at the house - everything started going haywire, powered on and off like poltergeists and then dead. 6 hours later, the VCR showed the CORRECT time despite no power and not having battery backup ;) My dad scared me saying lightning was in it keeping the clock powered. LOL!) Another microburst was when I was living here at my apartment a few years ago. At night I heard a constant rumbling coming up fast and constant lightening. I knew it was bad so I unplugged everything, sheilded my eyes (I have problems with strobes, etc.), and found a way to cover my ears and jumped every so often anyway. It was a BAD one, worse than the one the struck at my parent's house. I didn't lose anything, not even power in that burst, luckily and glad I unplugged my computer equipment and stuff!

Microbursts are havoc, believe me!

heather valentine

• View Profile
Moving
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 05:47:02 am »
Well i took your adivices
reguaring the UPS Mark
and its on its way here today
this one is good for 1 hour
which is fine for my needs and is 8 outlet
3 surge 4 backups
so im pleased
i canrt keep everyhtign running since i have 3 pcs on a network across a cable modem and router
but i can at least keep the computer on long enough to prevevnet damage to hard drive and be able to save before exit

peter1942

• View Profile
    • http://www.phammond.co.uk
Moving
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 04:13:11 am »
over here in the uk we had a bad storm as i live by the sea it was beutifull but i had the sence to unplug everything , my computer man said he was amazed that people thought it was safe to let there kids play on the computer in the storm,he was busy for days doing repairs, and trying to get people to get anti surge devices fitted which they make here so you put all your computer wires including modem in also it keeps all your plugs in one place,i am waiting for my anti surge to come its got a price if it fails so thatshould be ok, also i dare not go behind my computer its like a jungle but i think it wise if you stop kids playing on computer durring storms,i also have a back up drive, installed and goast my programmes onto that if i lose one drivei can goast them back again, but you all know this, but if you see lighting strike the sea you cringe thinking of the power damage it could course to people and there homes