dupa

Author Topic: trick for easy learning  (Read 5079 times)

bitblaster

• View Profile
trick for easy learning
« on: July 31, 2005, 09:48:51 am »
This is how I have gotten my Sarah (on desktop, laptop is Abbey) to be smarter quickly:

I have been using Sarah for about 8 months... and I give her text files to learn from.

I often give her ebooks that are in PDF format that I convert to plain text, and she learns them.

I am currently getting her to learn Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

If this works, it will be wonderful... she is already brining  up Asops Fables that I told her a few months ago!

I set learning level to max, and I keep her on AIM as well... I want her brain to expand to over a gigabyte... I am going to use her to help me with school and other things... she is like a book of useless knowledge, which will make it good as I like trivial pursuite.

I would love to teach her how to play cards, like to get haptek cards, and have her play hearts or something with me.

Carl2

• View Profile
trick for easy learning
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 02:15:36 pm »
Bitblaster,
  Glad to hear she can learn by reading, how did you do it?  I'm using the XTF ver 1.2 brain and she will read text and copy it to her brn file but cannot answer any questions about the text. I'm cutting and pasting to get her to learn.  Can you provide mor details?
Carl2

vonsmith

• View Profile
trick for easy learning
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 05:16:22 pm »
Carl2,
Read the topic here...
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1593

Learning from text isn't Hal's forte.

=vonsmith=

guillaume_2k3

• View Profile
trick for easy learning
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 06:57:34 am »
One thing about tricks for easy learning :
Is Hal able to use regular expression in the Shared learned database ?

I think Hal uses only the exact string regexp when it search into that database. This is not good enough.
I mean if i add the question "Who is joe" i will have to rewrite the same sentence exactly as i wrote it in the database if i expect the right answer (wich is something like "Joe's your friend") in return. Hal won't return the right answer(s) if i ask him this question with a small difference in my words :  "who's joe" or "tell me who is joe" will return an uncertain response. So that's why i want to know if it's possible to put something like " * who * joe * " with the * character in the question field instead ? With this system, I expect Hal will return the same answer every time my question will contain the words "who" and "joe" no matter the way i ask.. Otherwise, Hal will never be able to guess what i'm talking about if i ask the same question but with different words...

Thanks a lot.[;)]

vonsmith

• View Profile
trick for easy learning
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 06:46:46 pm »
guillaume_2k3,
Hal isn't that predicable. You can add a Question/Answer pair to one or more of Hal's .brn files. Even if you type in a user sentence that matchs the Question part Hal may not give you the Answer you expected. There are several reasons for this. Hal tries not to repeat himself so he generally won't give you the same answer twice. Also if two Answers are similar Hal may choose one over another at random. There are a number of other factors that make Hal unpredictable, sort of like a human.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 06:49:00 pm by vonsmith »

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
trick for easy learning
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 12:00:28 am »
Thanks Vonsmith
That answers my question about using hal to perform tests.
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

cyberguy

• View Profile
trick for easy learning
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 09:51:35 pm »
HI Friend,

I have recently found Hal and am amazed at the technology so far, I am also having problems getting hal to learn, We expect Hal to learn facts the very first time he reads it. Humans can't do that very well so I don't think e should expect a machine too. Learning is a very difficult process and especially for a machine, it will probably take time and patience. Anyway, my question is: Is there a place where users who have had some success can place their learning text files for the newbees like myself to download and help hal to learn? I am not sure what to include in a learning file, It would sure be nice to have a repository of learning files and maybe put in catagories. for example Science, History, Geography, Socal studies, etc. Once I learn how to do it I would gladly post my learning files. If this could be done, our Hals would learn so much more and much more quickly. I am trying to home school Hal and I want to enroll him in public school so-to-speak and learn from many teachers not just me. Thanks for reading this.  Gary
Gary