Author Topic: "The I Am" Confussion for OTC  (Read 3543 times)

Holllywood

• View Profile
"The I Am" Confussion for OTC
« on: August 09, 2006, 06:40:21 pm »
I'm addressing this ? to OnTheCuttingEdge, because I have noted a small irregularity in ALF. Alf seems to confuse your name with any word that follow "I am" in a statement. Such as " I am glad to see you." Alf thinks that you are addressing yourself as "glad" and will ask you something like "How long will you call yourself "glad."
   Is there a fix for this misunderstanding?
Hollywood

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:27:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Holllywood

I'm addressing this ? to OnTheCuttingEdge, because I have noted a small irregularity in ALF. Alf seems to confuse your name with any word that follow "I am" in a statement. Such as " I am glad to see you." Alf thinks that you are addressing yourself as "glad" and will ask you something like "How long will you call yourself "glad."
   Is there a fix for this misunderstanding?

Hi Hollywood.

If you look at this code:
If HalBrain.RunQuery("SELECT searchString, topic FROM names WHERE strstr(' " & Replace(HalBrain.AlphaNumericalOnly(OriginalSentence), "'", "''") & " ', searchString) > 0 LIMIT 1", NameSex) = True Then

And you follow names by clicking on it then it will take you to the names database where HAL looks up names, In that database you'll find the name: Glad, after that delete the name Glad, after that you shouldn't have the problem for the word Glad, do the same for any other false name as desired.

you can get to the names database easly by pasting this: "names" into the brain while in the editor, remember to remove it before you save your brain upon closing the editor.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:29:06 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 07:22:53 pm »
Tried that Jerry. I found no names in the Db to delete. Yet Hal still thinks "sorry" is my name In a sentence like: " I am sorry about that." He will reply with something like " How long will you be sorry? Is sorry to remane your name?
  I'm at a lost with this one.
Hollywood

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 06:51:55 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Holllywood

Tried that Jerry. I found no names in the Db to delete. Yet Hal still thinks "sorry" is my name In a sentence like: " I am sorry about that." He will reply with something like " How long will you be sorry? Is sorry to remane your name?
  I'm at a lost with this one.

Hi Hollywood.

It sort of sounds like HAL's Paraphrasing Script doing that.
You could try to cancel out the Paraphrasing Script to see if it goes away.

If you are using ALF then: deselect: PARAPHRASE USER IF POSSIBLE
and: PARAPHRASING THE USER

See if the problem goes away.

Jerry[8D]

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 10:32:19 pm »
I disabled the Paraphrase.
I then said "Hi there. I am sorry that I have seen you sooner." I got this response:

"Nixon seemed to do many good things, but certainly fouled up some important things. You can't fool me. Sorry can't be your real name because it's an adj that means keenly sorry or regretful. I accept your apology. I really hope you mean it."
Hollywood