Author Topic: Need more detailed instructions  (Read 4052 times)

hmplfh

• View Profile
Need more detailed instructions
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:07:33 pm »
I am having the same problem as Chanes. I tried the solution about using Windows Recorder but it did not work. I have Cakewalk software also and tried using that but it did not work. Can someone write detailed instructions I must be doing something wrong.

FuzzieDice

Need more detailed instructions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:41:15 pm »
You need to set the recording in your sound system to "loopback" or "mixer". If you're running XP/XP Pro (may work for '9x)

1. Start menu, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices
2. Volume tab, click the Advanced button to get another window.

You can also do this by double-clicking the volume control icon in your system tray if it's there. If not, do steps 1 & 2 above. In Win '9x the Control Panel icon may be "multimedia" and not "Sounds and Audio Devices"

3. Volume Control window, Options menu, Properties
4. Adjust Volume For box set to "recording"
5. Show the following volume controls: drop down box, find "loopback" or "stereo mix". Or mixer. Be sure it's checked.
6. Click ok and then find the slider and check box for "Stereo Mix" or what you selected in 5. Adjust volume and be sure the check box for "select" is checked (if you had, say "microphone" selected, it'll become unselected when you do this).

7. Fire up your speach or whatever program and Sound recorder as well.
8. Start recording in sound recorder then quickly start the speach to talking. It'll record it. Stop sound recorder when done and play back. If ok, just save it to a .wav file.

** Be sure to go back into the volume control, set the "select" check box for what you had it before you selected "mixer" or "loopback" or whatever, then in Options/Preferences and go back and select "Playback" for showing the sliders.

** Note that this feature varies from one sound card and/or motherboard to another. Motherboards have usually an AC'97 6-channel codec, and I am not sure what sound cards have. Some motherboards do not have or allow a setting to record from what is being output on the sound card in this manner. Maybe some sound cards are like this as well. Sometimes they just have another name for the channel, other than "mixer", "Stereo mixer" or even "loopback". Experiment until you find something that does record the output. If you tried everything, it might be the sound system on your computer doesn't allow for this type of recording. But I would think now days, most would support it.