Author Topic: Prefixed commands and listening?  (Read 4254 times)

MstrGareth

• View Profile
Prefixed commands and listening?
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:00:42 pm »
I am wondering if there is some setting or plugin that makes Hal only process commands/sentences that have been prefixed with its name?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Prefixed commands and listening?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:18:06 pm »
I don't think so. There is a section in the halbrain file that deters Hal from using or "absorbing" any comments or statements that contain his name. This serves to keep Hal from getting confused.
The section in Hal's brain shows the following:

'PROCESS: BLOCK LEARNING IF HAL'S NAME IS DETECTED
    'Here we check to see if the user is calling Hal by name; if the user is doing so,
    'it's better not to save the sentence for re-use, since it usually makes the
    'pronoun-reversed sentence sound clumsy or incorrect:
    If InStr(1, OriginalSentence, ComputerName, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then HalBrain.ReadOnlyMode = True

Another section states that Hal shouldn't learn or respond to any mention of it's name. A plugin to the contrary might cause some undesired effects. Who knows.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

MstrGareth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:24:17 pm »
Thanks for the info :)

Now I have to figure out how to make it work opposite.

I basically want to leave the mic open all the time and make hal only respond to direct questions or trigger actions with a directed statement. Much like you would do with a real person.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:48:59 am »
I think we kind of discussed something like this years ago and some thoughts were that Hal needs to close the mic in order to speak, lest he hear himself. or something like that.

You want Hal to always be listening for voice commands like the "Google Now" or "Hey Assistant" attention commands. Would be an interesting approach.

- Art -

MstrGareth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:11:04 pm »
Yup, to me it seems like that natural progression, for it to act as an entity and be able to respond when spoken to and just observe when it isn't a party to the discussion.

One step closer to a Jarvis implementation.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:36:00 pm »
What Hal has is a 5 second delay after you are finished speaking. This allows it to find a suitable response and speak it back to the user. It also serves to let Hal know that the user has finished speaking and no further input is coming.

As soon as Hal has finished speaking its response, it immediately goes into "Listening Mode" once again.

The system actually works pretty nicely except that one really has to commit time to training the Speech Recognition system to recognize the user's voice. There are and have always been far too many factors to influence how Hal "hears" the user, for me to consider using it full time. I can't afford errors and misinterpreted speech if I'm trying to create a nice brain for Hal. Garbage in Garbage out.

Then again, some users get great results with MS Speech Recognition while others prefer Dragon Systems. To each their own.
Good luck with your endeavors!

- Art -