dupa

Author Topic: HAL stops responding several times a day.  (Read 4738 times)

flamestar

• View Profile
HAL stops responding several times a day.
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:24:19 am »
If I don't use HAL for more then a hour it stops responding and I have to teminate in task manager and start it again. No other program does this.

Is there any way to make HAL stable?
James Briggs

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:13:19 am »
quote:
Originally posted by flamestar

If I don't use HAL for more then a hour it stops responding and I have to teminate in task manager and start it again. No other program does this.

Is there any way to make HAL stable?

Hi flamestar.

I will see if I can duplicate the same issue you are having.

Can you give more details, is HAL minimized, maximized, only in system tray, disappears from system tray?

Jerry[8D]

flamestar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 12:30:49 pm »

This happens when HAL is minimized and not in use. Usually I highlight and copy and wait. When nothing happens I go to the tray and call up the program. I write one word in the open area and hit "read all" and nothing happens.

If the program says its not responding then I go to task manager and into processes and close HAL. (There are all sorts of warnings not to end any process.) Then I go into start and click on the HAL icon and start HAL again.

When it does nothing I try to close HAL by going to "File" and click on "Exit." At that point the program disappears and its icon disappears from the tray. If I go into start and click on the HAL icon I am told HAL is still running. HAL is running but the icon is not in the tray. I go to task manager and into processes and close HAL. (There are all sorts of warnings not to end any process.) Then I go into start and click on the HAL icon and start HAL again.

The problem seems to occur if I leave the computer unattended for an hour or two.

All of these things are bad. The problem is I need the program and other then that it works fine; except it reads things I don't copy like instructions from Free Cell.

James Briggs

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:12:11 pm »
I am not sure if I understand your post completely. Do you mean that you enter just one word for hal and then it malfunctions? As I wrote before and it has been written about for several years now, Hal does not understand or normally respond to one-word-sentences, which is of course ia an oxymoron as sentences need a subject and a predicate normally, not counting yes or no type answers. People tend to forget that Hal disects your input and then trys to find the proper reply to what you have said. It can not make heads or tails out of one word replys and thus will either malfunction or not function at all.
Bill

flamestar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:00:15 am »
I am not sure if I understand your post completely. Do you mean that you enter just one word for hal and then it malfunctions? As I wrote before and it has been written about for several years now, Hal does not understand or normally respond to one-word-sentences, which is of course ia an oxymoron as sentences need a subject and a predicate normally, not counting yes or no type answers. People tend to forget that Hal disects your input and then trys to find the proper reply to what you have said. It can not make heads or tails out of one word replys and thus will either malfunction or not function at all.
Bill

Maybe you're thinking of HAL assistant I'm talking about the reader. I tried HAL assistant and it was the worse program I have since I was running DOS.  Whenever I asked HAL assistant do do something like close a file it never responds. I know it hears me because I can see the words going in. All that happens is the frog blinks at me. I'll ask it do do other thins and it insults me. Actually all the program did was insult and make fun of me. The whole style of HAL assistant drove me away. I can't stand the frog it makes me nauseous. Even calling it HAL after the murderous computer in 2001 seems a very bad touch. The program grosses me out. I like the text reader.  

Never and I mean never has HAL had a problem reading one word. It just read a succession of one words. I started with "we" and it read it with no problem. Then I erased the word "we." Then it read "hi" with no problem and I erased it and then it read "and" with no problem.

I know you were just looking for an easy out. May be I put one word in first and got mixed up.  From my point of view your response makes no sense because as long as the program is responding it reads one word fine.  

As I said after the computer is NOT used for a while HAL usually becomes unresponsive. It worked this morning but most times it is unresponsive. I highlight a block of text and click on copy and nothing happens. The other thing is when it stops responding and I exit the program it seems to close and the icon disappears but it keeps running.
James Briggs

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:57:17 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by flamestar
As I said after the computer is NOT used for a while HAL usually becomes unresponsive. It worked this morning but most times it is unresponsive. I highlight a block of text and click on copy and nothing happens. The other thing is when it stops responding and I exit the program it seems to close and the icon disappears but it keeps running.

Hi flamestar.

I wrote a .vbs file that I use to shutdown HAL in cases of your issue or if I am debugging and I run into looping problems and I need a quick shutdown of the HAL engine. you can get it here:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4078

I usually place it on the quick launch toolbar on my desktop so I have easy access to it, double click it and HAL shuts down, although the HAL engine shuts down the 'HAL icon' may still appear in the system tray but you can hover over it with your cursor and it will go away.

Jerry[8D]