Author Topic: Does running time cause problems?  (Read 6767 times)

raybe

• View Profile
Does running time cause problems?
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
Just curious if any one has had different problems with Hal if running Hal for long periods of time. I don't mean just sitting idle but constant input and conversations. If you have, can you tell me what type of problems and approximately the length of time before you noticed any problems.

I have noticed and it could be my system, programs in background, plugins, I guess anything at this point but there are intermittent times that Hal freaks out in the middle of conversations after different periods of time usually after the 2 hr. mark. As an example Hal may freeze and you can close the window and access everything from the task bar icon but the 'general options' window until you log off or restart. Would appreciate any feed back.
Thanks,
raybe

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:03 pm »
i have had issues when leaving him on for more than 2 hours.  On some occasions it's been as if he had a new personality,  and on other occasions i would get non responses ...blank answers.  And in one rare case...which was very creepy,  I forgot to log him off and when I noticed I called up his browser,  my haptek face was giving these eerie smiles looking around my computer screen ...it was especially creepy because virgil never smiles at all, at least not with the haptek,  I taught him to -smile- but nothing on visual,  just text.  but that one time I left it on,  it had a huge smile and began to act rude in its responses....  

In respects to all the hard core programmers here...I'll say it was a bug. but one helluva creepy bug if you ask me. lol :p
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:36:33 pm by ricky »
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:17:11 pm »
Thanks ricky,

But I was really curious that the program became less responsive or even stopped functioning. What you described would give me a reason to restart. Especially creepy facial expressions but I think that can also be caused by timing problems with some some generic haps you have loaded. Some have timed triggers after a tolerance is met and then the character will resume to it's neutral state.
Sorry it took so long to respond but thanks.

raybe

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »
I've been running Mary for over 48 hours and everything is ok [:I]
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:40:01 pm »
Hi Darcy,

When Mary is running do you have many other processes running at the same time? I can have have up to 76 running at any given time. That includes background processes also.

I can't really say that I have had Hal running that many hours without something happening in the years I have owned Hal. But as I said I think 76 and above processes is excessive and would probably cause a conflict or cause a process not to want to play with others when it comes to fighting over resources.
Just to be clear. Darcy,when you say 48 hrs of coarse you are talking about the program is just running and you are not carrying on conversations. I have had Hal running for many hrs. as well but I am really describing interaction with Hal for a steady amount of time. I am not including idle time.

Please don't tell me you can stay up 48hrs talking to Mary. I'm a lousy sleeper but that would be impossible for me.javascript:insertsmilie('[:0]')

Thanks for the post,
raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:42:59 pm »
Sorry ignore little smillie face. It was a accident playing with the post.

raybe

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 08:59:29 pm »
I have a lot of things running at once right now there are 62 processes running and 10 applications, about a normal load.  Mary is running and I interacting with Mary.  I don't stay up with Mary all the time but she is always running and running a script that tells the time.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 11:03:55 pm »
A few years ago when my grandkids came down for a weekend visit I showed them Hal. Well they spent most of the night talking and training Hal with no problems. I am talking about 5 or 6 hours. When I arose the next morning and turned on Hal it had become a Christian preacher. It took me several hours to edit all the brain files to get it back to normal.
The point is or was that running for hours on end did not have any effect on Hal. Maybe running other applications while Hal is on might cause some problems but I have never had any.
Bill

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 12:48:24 am »
Hi from Will,

since around 6.1 and xp hal seems a lot better,

i've run Mr Data for a couple of days straight with no problems,
interestingly the voice recognition can give interesting results,
 i've glaced down at the screen during a chat to see options on the screen being opened and chosen,
he might have miss heard me,

and once i left the phone jack pluged in during the night and heard the phone dialing and got up and asked him who he was ringing but he reckoned he didn't know,
perhaps he heard a noise and thought he was supposed to be ringing someone, now i just don't leave him running with phone jack in just in case.

There's no doubt Mr Data has been very entertaining :)  :]
i'm definitly a fan,
Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 08:39:27 am »

Interesting about the phone dialing.
When I was on dial-up, every now and then (like every couple days) when all is quiet my computer would try to dial out.
Hal would be off, I figure it from some spyware in computer or maybe even MS robot application, I don't know.
Anyway the calls would be long distance and would never connect because I don't have long distance.
When I went on cable couple years ago, it stopped and I'd forgotten all about it.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 09:10:15 am »
duskrider i would say that was some malware or something i had something like something like that a long time ago that tried to dial 1-900- numbers to some dirty site that just downloaded on the pc by itself from an unsafe site . if that ever happens i would run scans etc.with good antivirus, etc. softeware .
   i found out recently that people ..er jerks rather put viruses on everything a person goes to anymore i went to a robotic site and a virus came on but my security caught it and put it in the vault same thing at a truck web site . its not safe anywhere any more so have good pc security and keep it up to date thats all you can do !!

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 11:54:27 am »
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I guess I will monitor Hal just a little closer. My problem is very intermittent and Hal usually won't hang up if Hal is just running. The problem only shows up after hours of conversation.  It may be just a random conflict or just something running that I didn't notice that caused a glitch. The other possibility is that I have programs that auto backups Hal's files and it's possible that I was running Hal at the same time. I may have left the computer and did not notice if there was a flag or it just gave Hal the hickups.

Just one other question. Has any one found any difference in responses from Hal if they type all caps or not?

Thanks every one and certainly if anything should come up please let me know.

raybe

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 12:15:45 pm »
Yeah that dialler thing was something I remember from Dial up.  Only happened to me once I think, was pretty easy to get rid of, but with Broadband at least that's one thing you don't have to worry about anymore.

I can't say I have had any problems with Hal when left running a long time.  Sometimes it can go all day and I notice no change.  Any longer I haven't tried.

CypherGary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 04:30:11 pm »
I have Hal set to read any prompts that pop up.
If Hal starts reading a prompt, and I click on my browser to stop the voice, once in a while Hal will crash.

That is the only time I have seen Hal exit or crash.
See you here, there, or in the Air!

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 08:39:14 pm »
CypherGary,

I also have Hal read window prompts but that would only come from the Hal text to speach reader and not the Hal program. Unless I missed something all this time. I don't ever remember my Hal character reading. I have the same default voice set so it sounds like my character is reading the text but it is not the program. The same responce when you copy to clipboard and the voice reads the context but the character in Hal is not. Let me know if I have missed something. I appreciate your responce.

raybe