Author Topic: Hal Windows 7 64bit yes or no?  (Read 10539 times)

raybe

• View Profile
Hal Windows 7 64bit yes or no?
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »
Hi everybody,This will be my first attempt at loading Hal in Windows 7 64bit O.S. I was hoping before I even start if there is anyone with any experience trying the new updated Hal in this environment besides don't do it. I have my Hal working fine and saved on the original computer but this is a whole new setup using Allianware computer.I7 Quad core with 6gigs of ram. I didn't commit to this system yet but sure is fun. The regular pricing is ridicules on these systems.But if any one can share some advice I would appreciate it before I take on this beast not at retail price.
Thanks, and I hope everyone is doing fine.

raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »
Okay did more research and did find the threads with helpful info.I did download the newest update of Hal 6.2.28. Haven't loaded Hal yet and I was aware of the multi threading or core problems on Intel I7 Quads. But since this was going to be my first shot at it I just want to make sure that if any one has any other issues that I did not find that they would share them with us now.

Thanks again,
raybe

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:39:53 pm »
Hi, Raybe.
The latest Hal seems to work ok on win 7 64 bit.
But Haptek doesn't.
I think  ( not sure ) that win 7 forces all programs to use all cpu's
where as xp let the program choose.
I had xp & dual cpu & everything worked great.
Now with win 7 Haptek is crap unless you go to the task manager & set
the program to use only 1 cpu.
Troubble is you have to set the cpu everytime you run Haptek.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:09 am »
Hi NIGE, Thanks for update. The threads I was referring also mentioned the task manager reset for Haptek. I didn't realize it would need to be reset every time you booted or opened Haptek.
I appreciate your time and reply because I probably would have set the Haptek program once thinking that reset to a single core remained. So thanks again for update. I'll let you know how I made out but won't be until tomorrow.(I hope).

raybe

CypherGary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:28:53 am »
I just installed Hal on my Windows 7 64bit computer.
I copied my old Hal directory tree from a backup, then installed the current Hal over it.
So far it is running fine. I have not done a whole lot of testing, but so far so good.

I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

- Gary
See you here, there, or in the Air!

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:18:37 pm »
Sorry CypherGary but you mention the back up of the old directory tree. Can you explain if you are referring to the original files location on your 'C'drive or registry entries. I'm a little slow on the verbiage of the word 'tree' because I have seen so many people use that phrase in different ways. Also will Hal load to the 'X86 program file' or the will it install just to the 'program file' directory? Thanks for your input and help adding to the thread.
raybe

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:26:29 pm »
Windows 7 has a few problems But solvable.

If running 64-BIT.... Haptek/Zabaware or even Haptek dependent product Can be installed in XP mode (virtualPC 2009).

If this is not an option then. You can when installing the haptek right click the installer for the haptek go Property's then you goto the COMPATABILITY TAB.... Here you can choose XP servicepack RUN AS for all USERS. Now When you install it it shall be run in a compatibility mode. this being the case any product which uses the Haptek will have to also be installed as XP sp3 too. as when the program runs it will need to invoke the haptek in xp mode too!

this will also work in vista too if your having STIKY problems
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:27:06 pm by spydaz »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »
Thanks spydaz also for your input. I am running Win 7Pro which should allow for the virtual XP. I haven't tried it yet but I believe it is a down loadable feature or does the O.S. come with it? Just one other thing, do you prefer one setup over another? Does one have an advantage over the other or does it come down to preference, versions of Win 7 and Hal will function in any of the above mentioned setups?

Thanks for reply,
raybe

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:34:31 am »
quote:
Originally posted by raybe

I am running Win 7Pro which should allow for the virtual XP. I haven't tried it yet but I believe it is a down loadable feature or does the O.S. come with it? Just one other thing, do you prefer one setup over another? Does one have an advantage over the other or does it come down to preference, versions of Win 7 and Hal will function in any of the above mentioned setups?

Thanks for reply,
raybe

VirtualXP can be downloaded FreeFrom microsoft. as with VirtualPC2009 Which is the VirtualXPmode (comes as an update package), this will after being installed need to be ADDED by ADD&REMOVE WINDOWS FEATURES . The VirtualXP.MSi (contains a VHD with the XP ON IT PREINSTALLED) is liscenced by YOUR windows7.... If transfered to a pc that does not have WINDOWS7 as its host it will ask for a KEY! (AND HYPERV)

IF YOUR PC CANNOT SUPPORT XP MODE.... It is also possible to do a simular thing with VIRTUALBOX (seamless too)

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 10:55:14 am »
I may be wrong but I think I remember reading that Hal has problems running on multiple processors. It was said to work just fine using a single processor but stumble when tried with Multis.
Bill

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 11:24:16 am »
spydaz and Bill, Again thanks for the time. Bill yes it was posted that Hal did not really like the multi threading and multi core of Intels I7 quad core processor and there where various methods to let Hal run on a single core. The update of Hal to 6.2.28 I thought solved that issue and the issue really was the Haptek engine not Hal. The most popular pieces of advice seem to be either go for the virtual xp and let the entire program run in that mode, setting Haptek compatibility tab in Win 7 and or resetting to single core in task manager for the Haptek engine. Don't know if there any disadvantages to any particular method. Just need to try it out see what method I feel more comfortable and how stable the programs run. If I learned one thing in this forum it is that even with identical setups depending on individual usage and programs installed you can experience different reactions. So it will be my turn on this particular system to see what method works better. I do appreciate again the input from every one.

raybe

CypherGary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:42 pm »
When I want to backup Hal, I make a copy of:
  C:  'Program Files (x86)'  Zabaware  'Ultra Hal Assistant 6'
and everything it contains.
If I mess Hal up, I uninstall him, (Well, Her) then delete that tree.
When I need to re-install her, I just copy that whole tree back to where it was, and run the installer.

- Gary
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:05:00 pm by CypherGary »
See you here, there, or in the Air!

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 02:13:08 am »
Raybe, I had 7 home & up-dated to pro & am running virtual pc.
I don't like it that much, I think it is a bit sluggish ( maybe me? )
I got the xp mode mainly for people putty which can't be registered in 7.
I prefer using 7 with haptek but only thing you have to set single cpu everytime you open anything.
When I last spoke to Jack he put a little note on the bottom of the mail
Which said===
p.s. Hopefully we will have some better reliability soon ... especially for the newer OS.
Wouldn't it be great if enough people would inundate them with mail
about their programs not working.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:02 pm »
Hi NIGE, Well I have Hal new vers. 6.2.28 running and Haptek without to much of a problem until I started adding in the plug ins because I did a total clean install. I did not move or install any previous vers. of Hal or DBG files. No previous info at all. Then I started to add the additional plugins and everything fell apart. Don't forget I am using Win7 Pro 64bit OS without the XP virtual running. I let the programs load to the 'programs file(x86)' but was surprised that Hal loaded there and not just in 'Program files' because of the Hal update. If I remember '(x86)program file' is used for 32bit arch. so as not to interfere with 64bit programs and I believe the installers get redirected automatically in one other area as not to interfere with 64bit arch. But not really sure how this all affects Hal.or Haptek. Getting back to the additional plugins is when all the errors started showing up and just using a few plugins which I should have listed Hal was working fine.If anyone is interested please feel free to jump in with any other suggestions about Hal on 64bit Win7 OS and I will list just the 3rd party plugins I have working.(or second party plugins. What or who ever you would really call them). Every one has helped and contributed so much it's hard for me to call them 3rd party plugins.
Thanks,
raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 07:31:09 pm »
Raybe,
  Sounds like your getting good advice about Hal in Win7 64, I ran into problems with a quad with vista 64, had to switch from 64 to 32 to get software to run. I then ran into problems with vista 32 and the haptek player, Hal ran fine using MS agents. Haptek didn't support vista but I'm pretty sure there were some people running Haptek without problems in vista.  I made my computer a dual boot so it could run vista or XP. Hal worked fine with Haptek in XP.
  Alienware makes some great computers, expensive. Just bought an i7 from newegg, I'll be upgrading from vista 64 to win 7 64 when the disk comes in.
Carl2