Author Topic: WOT add in to rate web sites-Zaba still bad  (Read 7303 times)

raybe

• View Profile
WOT add in to rate web sites-Zaba still bad
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:54 pm »
I'm just going to post this one more time out of curiosity. It probably doesn't matter to most but I'm sure new members might just hesitate.WOT is an add in for some open source browsers like Firefox and now I believe Chrome or Opera. WOT rates the site to be a safe site to visit or not. I use Firefox and the WOT plugin but Zabaware comes up with a poor rating. Does anyone know why or care about this subject? Just checking if anyone feels this is an accurate rating or should something be done?

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:19:56 pm »
could it be because we post code and scripting on here to others to show our work, etc. and so it is perceived by browsers and others as crack, hacks, and thusforth potentially "making" the site appear as if its a dangerouse site to visit??
thats my only thoughts i could think of , anyone else have any thoughts on it??

[;)]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:04:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply lightspeed but I even noticed on 'Virtual Humans' web site they get a good rating and talk about posting different scripting and anything else you can imagine for AI development it sure doesn't effect that site at all and many of the members are frequent visitors or members on this site. Like I said I don't know if people really care or really pay any attention to such a rating but I am curious after being on this site for many years.

raybe

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:27 am »
Correct me if I am wrong but after looking at the WOT site, it appears that it is the users that rate a site.  That would mean things like programming code would probably not make a difference.

I guess it could be disgruntled users.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:36:12 am by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:29:35 am »
disgruntled users.???[B)] why,  we'll kick their butts !!![:D]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:50:43 am »
Freddy, I believe you are correct that ratings from people that had a good or bad experience with the site create the ratings. Thinking about it your probably right because there are times people don't understand the product or Robert and other members don't respond to them in 20 seconds. 'Virtual Humans' is more of a forum although there are members that develop AI programs unrelated to the site. Thanks just seemed so wrong to give this site a bad rating and I have sent WOT my own rating.
lightspeed, go get them and if there are too many I'll be right behind you.(lol)Thanks guys.
raybe

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:52:37 am »

Yes, let's do it !!!

They are idiots.  [;)]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:53:45 pm »
Yeah well, you know what the net can be like sometimes, like you say some people want instant five second fixes and sometimes that just isn't possible.

As for my experience on this site, the only problem I had was a couple of years ago when someone hacked the forum here, but after I alerted Robert he pretty much fixed it straight away.  So to me the site is a safe one.

Incidentally, I use AVG anti-virus and they have a safe search feature that warns you about sites, and I also have Google Chrome warning me about dodgy sites too.  And neither of these has ever said there is any thing wrong with Zabaware.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:57:35 pm by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »
You know maybe robert should check further into this as , whatever this is could be keeping people that might be interested in the hal forum from coming to it .
Of course that parts up to Robert to do ![:)]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 08:57:55 pm »
Freddy I have Chrome also and don't remember how it sets itself up for safe sites but that's good to know. Also AVG not having problems with the rating of the site. Just concerned me as lightspeed said I was hoping that the WOT signature for this site did not stop anyone from taking a look.
Thanks
raybe

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:24:41 am »
Well I don't get many warnings from Chrome, but what usually happens is the screen goes red and it gives you a warning about the site - you can then either 'go back to safety' or continue into the site.

Personally if I get that warning I don't go into the site.  So yes I think you two are right, it could certainly impact visitors.   I guess Rob has to assess this and figure something out if he wants to.

echoman

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 02:03:09 pm »
When Roberts launches the new web site will that give Zabaware a nice clean history with WOT?

echoman

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »
When Roberts launches the new web site will that give Zabaware a nice clean history with WOT?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 02:32:04 pm »
Depends on how WOT refers to a site - if it works on the domain name then possibly not - however if it works using individual URL's then possibly yes.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:32:40 pm by freddy888 »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 03:34:33 pm »
Hi Freddy, I tried going to the new forum site and yes WOT still gives Zabaware a poor rating. I know the site isn't totally finished but I don't believe it will change anything. It just annoys the heck out of me because it has come up with other people if I send them to the site and they will call just to check if Zabaware forum and purchases are safe. I guess enough people use WOT.
raybe