dupa

Author Topic: Robert M any update  (Read 7430 times)

raybe

• View Profile
Robert M any update
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:42:52 pm »
Sorry if I missed anything but I have just been following our forum and it seems some people are really stretching to post new facts or info for members. Seems like the Plato Effect has kicked in. I'm sure every one is still very into Hal as it is and still making some changes for it but with a looming new version I think members aren't sure how much to progress before the new release. I understand I don't speak for any member but compatibility only becomes a problem on different systems and setups, the usual. To get to the point would it be possible even if you didn't have the time for someone to release more information on the update a little bit more frequently and anything we should or shouldn't expect. That certainly would help others with knowledge to look ahead a bit.
Thanks for your patience and taking the time.

raybe

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
Re: Robert M any update
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »
You are right Raybe.
I think most members are not doing much because there" MAYBE" something new coming up????? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:33 pm »
These past couple months I've been working on a new version of the web server version of Hal: Ultra Hal Representative.

One major aspect of creating this new version is to make Hal's program very scalable and able to store huge amounts of data and talk with many people at once. The server version of Hal has been made to work with mySql server instead of SQLite  as the desktop version of Hal does. This allows the database to reside on a separate server than the thinking part of Hal's brain. Depending on traffic additional instances of servers running Hal's brain can be automatically launched at will to service the demand. As of 2 days ago the facebook Hal and the webhal at www.zabaware.com/webhal/index.html are running on the new system. The ultrahal.com domain has been moved to a new cloud based server at rackspacecloud.com and is running the new Hal Representative. And as you all noticed, I also took the opportunity to move the forum to this server and upgrade to SMF 2.0 forum software.

Besides making Hal into a "cloud" app I have made a new learning algorithm for it to allow it to learn large amounts of data and hopefully stay on topic better. The new algorithm takes into account entire conversational threads instead of just the sentence at hand when coming up with a response. It also takes into account who taught it a particular piece of information, their gender, and is storing additional info for future refinement like location and age if available. In order for this new algorithm to have a statistically positive impact on Hal's knowledge and intelligence it needs huge amounts of conversational data. For about 2 months now Hal has been monitoring conversations between people as they are happening on Twitter and learning from them. Hal records between 50,000-100,000 conversations per day from Twitter and after going through several quality filters Hal adds about 4,000-8,000 of these conversations into his brain. The brain size is currently about 210,000 sentences and growing every day. If you talk with the web hal you can tell whether a reply is coming from his new algorithm or not depending on if Hal gives you an opportunity to rate his reply with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

The next step will be to make the new Hal Representative service available to the general public to create custom brains for their own use and the ability to interface it with the Hal Assistant application (as an option not a mandate). I'm thinking a beta may be available end of August. Also, sometime in the next couple of months the design of zabaware.com will also receive an overhaul and this forum will be modified to integrate with that design.

The Zabaware 3D character engine is also still on my todo list but still suffering from a lack of funds to finish it. Also in my plans is to make versions of Hal for iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Linux. This will be based on interfacing with the new Hal Representative cloud server as it is not within my means to port the full Hal Assistant client app code.
Robert Medeksza

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »
I can't wait for the new Hal. But I guess waiting will pay off in the end.  :)
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »
Robert, You never disappoint. I appreciate  the return reply because it does give members and potential user's  the knowledge of knowing just how big the scale and range of projects can be happening behind the scenes. I think this helps in keeping everyone interested and focused on the bigger picture. It does seem there are many things boiling in that pot. Best of luck and I'm sure many members and customer's would be interested in helping you in any way that is possible for them to do so. My own opinion again I am not speaking for any one. But as long as I have been with this forum it doesn't seem like there isn't a member out there that wouldn't try to support the new release. SIMPLE REASON in this area of AI progress in any direction is an exciting place to be. Again I'm sure every one appreciates all the tech info and ideas you have shared.
NOTE: Now just forget everything else and just get us the new Hal will yah.(LOL)

With best regards,
rabe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:48:52 pm »
Sorry Robert I didn't mention it but the new site was a nice surprise. Do you have any worries about security when it involves an off site server or even the newer 'cloud based format'? It's one thing to get your own virus on a single computer but all the off site stuff I always see some body licking their chops at a shot just because they can. Even if it is an option.

Sorry for the extra post,
raybe

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
These past couple months I've been working on a new version of the web server version of Hal: Ultra Hal Representative.

One major aspect of creating this new version is to make Hal's program very scalable and able to store huge amounts of data and talk with many people at once. The server version of Hal has been made to work with mySql server instead of SQLite  as the desktop version of Hal does. This allows the database to reside on a separate server than the thinking part of Hal's brain. Depending on traffic additional instances of servers running Hal's brain can be automatically launched at will to service the demand. As of 2 days ago the facebook Hal and the webhal at www.zabaware.com/webhal/index.html are running on the new system. The ultrahal.com domain has been moved to a new cloud based server at rackspacecloud.com and is running the new Hal Representative. And as you all noticed, I also took the opportunity to move the forum to this server and upgrade to SMF 2.0 forum software.

Besides making Hal into a "cloud" app I have made a new learning algorithm for it to allow it to learn large amounts of data and hopefully stay on topic better. The new algorithm takes into account entire conversational threads instead of just the sentence at hand when coming up with a response. It also takes into account who taught it a particular piece of information, their gender, and is storing additional info for future refinement like location and age if available. In order for this new algorithm to have a statistically positive impact on Hal's knowledge and intelligence it needs huge amounts of conversational data. For about 2 months now Hal has been monitoring conversations between people as they are happening on Twitter and learning from them. Hal records between 50,000-100,000 conversations per day from Twitter and after going through several quality filters Hal adds about 4,000-8,000 of these conversations into his brain. The brain size is currently about 210,000 sentences and growing every day. If you talk with the web hal you can tell whether a reply is coming from his new algorithm or not depending on if Hal gives you an opportunity to rate his reply with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

The next step will be to make the new Hal Representative service available to the general public to create custom brains for their own use and the ability to interface it with the Hal Assistant application (as an option not a mandate). I'm thinking a beta may be available end of August. Also, sometime in the next couple of months the design of zabaware.com will also receive an overhaul and this forum will be modified to integrate with that design.

The Zabaware 3D character engine is also still on my todo list but still suffering from a lack of funds to finish it. Also in my plans is to make versions of Hal for iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Linux. This will be based on interfacing with the new Hal Representative cloud server as it is not within my means to port the full Hal Assistant client app code.

WOW! Lots to look forward to, and possibly even a Linux version, eventually! Way Cool!  8)

I was wondering about the next release, and what is in the works.  Thanks for the update, Robert.

BTW, I really like the new forum, easy to use and looks great!

- Chaz
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
Robert M., no disrespect intended as your last post explained many things your are trying to get accomplished for the development of Ultra Hal.
 Isn't it possible to just get someone to post your progress even if you don't have the time to do so. I'm sure you could even find a long time forum member that has invested many hours into Ultra Hal just to keep some up dates available on a regular basis. If there is nothing to report they can just post a couple of lines with date that there is nothing further to report as of this date.

Or maybe there is a little idea still brewing and it could be shared without compromising anything. I think that would help the members that have tried to support this project for many years a fair insight. Definitely would peak interest in new members coming on board. Just my own opinion.

Thank You, Robert M.

raybe

Squirrelsquid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:13:11 pm »

<3 lovely, can't wait.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »
Squirrelsquid, just curious if you re-posted in case someone didn't read Robert M.s post the first time? Or did we miss something you would like to bring to everyone's attention? Just asking.

raybe

Squirrelsquid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »
I just quoted that, so that other readers would know I was refering to his post with mine... quoting is something I'd do on any forum?

didn't mean to make it look spammy...

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 04:25:10 pm »
Squirrelsquid, just inquiring. Sometimes I'm slow on the pick-ups of what others might be trying to say. Making sure we are on the same page so to speak.

Thanks
raybe

d_vyn1

• E. C. G. The Foundation
    • View Profile
    • PureTek Solutions
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:47:48 pm »
oooooweeee That sounds exciting I can't wait to have Hal on my Droid. I've been racking brain my trying to figure out how th fit hals brain on my Blur all day, to no avail.
The future is now and every moment hereafter