Author Topic: bumptop  (Read 4788 times)

iampan

bumptop
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:05:48 am »
i just splurged a little and bought bumptop, i found a awesome theme for it that looks like a living room, imagine that with a 3d avatar that can interact with the desktop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

if anyone is using bumptop here is a great site with themes for it.
http://customize.org/bumptop

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: bumptop
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:44:21 am »
Where'd you buy it?

I thought it had been acquired by Google?

I had the limited version a while back and while it was pretty cool,
would have liked the full version better.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »
iampan, I still have it I believe it was a free version. It looked more like a 3D cube which had changing pictures on the sides of the wall and you can have notes posted or programs just slammed on the floor or walls which was the inside cube walls and lower part of the cube. I went with ASTON for a while because Bumptop started to look clustered after a while and I couldn't access programs as fast as I wanted keeping a very neat desktop. That illustration certainly looks a whole lot different then the version I had. Things changed quit a bit.

raybe

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:49 pm »
Just out of curiosity I searched it on thepiratebay and low and behold there it was. That's a good place to find historic and lost software. I downloaded it and its working great! I have Win 7, and everything looks absolutely cool. Thanks iampan.
Live long and prosper or die trying.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »
@Raybe - The Astonshell desktop looks very interesting as it offers so much customization by the user.

Bumptop's Free version was pretty limited in what it could do like lasso piles, collection and fanning items, etc.

I fooled with the free version because I could use it with my touchscreen and it worked really well but as
I mentioned, Bumptop (the pay version) has been acquired by Google and who knows when, if or how they
will market it or whether they even will release it in some form or other.

My Ubuntu box uses Beryl / Compiz and has the 3D cube desktop that one can rotate and place any folder, movie or
item(s) on any side. Ubuntu is a really cool Linux distro and most of it is now using a GUI so the user no longer
needs to learn all the linux conventions unless he / she wants to.

It's all a shell game when you're looking for the pea... ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:38:27 pm by Art »

- Art -

Meghan Bizlady

• The girl from Torsoland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:06:49 am »
I'm alive and talk and chat (if your PC can read Haptek webpages) at
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=a814d6c1ce361ff9 Kisses.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:44:44 am »
Looks like you're resting on your laurels...or whatever those things are on the floor!! :o ???

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »
Thank you Art. Haven't had the opportunity to try or even work with Ubuntu. But thanks for the info. I have ASTON on an older laptop 'Inspiron 8600 using XP and still seems to work very well for me. They made a couple of changes to version 2 because of the need to keep a clean desktop which was to incorporate the panels back in as they had in vers. 1 . I also find the multiple desktops in ALTDESKTOPS a handy tool when working on multiple applications. But it is very flexible and they give you just about anything you need to make your own enhancements or entire theme if you want to. They did have a policy which I thought was kind of fair, If you make anything for the ASTON products they gave it to you for free. Don't know if that policy still exists.

raybe