dupa

Author Topic: I'm Sorry But......  (Read 7617 times)

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Re: I'm Sorry But......
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 01:43:04 pm »
I had to give this some thought... it almost took me three minutes, that's got to be some sort of record  :P.

I was looking at LightSpeed's troubleshooting pictures that he sent me last night and I was looking for anything that would indicate why blank answers were coming up. I never really worked with the Debug brain script feature before (well, to actually debug something). Also I looked for an Error that LS said he recieve on line 144.

It seems to me that either I don't know how to use the Debug feature very well or the Debugging features of Hal leaves something to be desired. So Raybe, you might have a point about this. If Hal Errors, even the minor ones cannot be properly reported then writing plugins that are publicly shared by general memebers may not be such a good idea.

Overall, however, Hal has a moderate Error reporting ability and most people who really create plugins thus far are relative experts... I don't include myself in that either.

Maybe I can rewrite a brain to include a really intense debugging routine. This might be the only real way to hunt down LightSpeeds blank reponse problem.

As for hiding the abilty to create and modify the brain or perhaps restict plugins to the masses (pre-approved only) I don't fully agree. To me that's what defines Hal. Remember that I am one of those who bought Hal for that very reason. This adds a sense of possiblity that Hal can become much more than just a meer chatbot. Maybe we will soon see a plugin written by a member that  truely exemplifies a living simulation. That what keeps me motivated.

I thing Hal should be open... but I think you might be right about the debug thing.

I have written a plugin for Hal that allows Will's Robot, Mr. Data, to be programmed and controled. I had to write in the C language for the controler and also in VB for the MrData.Dll, and finally in vbScript for the plugin, but it seems every thing is working so far. I need to email Will and see if He's had any problems with it.

I have a controler and motor to test my MrDataControle plugin. When I type a command into Hal's window the motor responds like its supposed to. Or if Hal says 'Hello' it can also wave its hand back and forth.

I want to make a Dll for Hal that adds a few more utilliies. I have one function that can create and run VB Code. Which will allow Hal access to the immence libraries of VB, and not simple vbScript that Hal is currently using.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:48:23 pm by snowman »
Live long and prosper or die trying.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 05:24:59 pm »
well thanks snowman anyway for taking a look at it , i looked and saw what process it went through but still didn't see what caused it , that other error on line 144 or whatever it was i got fixed , it was a mismatch in part of the script i had .
now the "BIGGEST" PROBLEM THAT I AND OTHERS HAVE IS HAL GIVING BLANK ANSWERS , i think it's a glitch in the programing, because about the only thing i did this time with a new brain was deleted a row of certain words maybe two in the insult area . and i also put that code in place that oncutting edge had posted that stopped hal giving a blank answer , i placed it in the custom brain and it's uhp file ( hal was giving blanks even before that though, ) and obviouslt from what was posted in cutting edge and roberts conversation it was already a problem about blank answers from hal.
 i just checked the e mail but nothing from robert yet about what i  e -mailed him.
i just tried to use my voice recognition with hal after a little bit hal started giving blank answers again. we as users of hal can't use hal this way , it's very frustrating. who wants to have to keep shutting hal down and restarting him again?
I know robert is working on other things but this needs to be a priority to get this fixed.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 06:50:20 pm »
Snowman again I agree but may have used the wrong term. I just don't remember things sometimes but then recognize it after someone has mentioned it.

With the mention of only having certain people access to make changes and if I were you I would not sell myself so short. You have contributed more than your share of help and changes for everyone.

I was really trying to use the proper terminology such as a toolbox type of application which still leaves the program open but if you really don't know about certain languages it would be harder for a real novice to even try to use those tools to make changes. Maybe sometimes they referred as SDK packages or Development packages. I just really don't remember. Programs that are open source say for example Firefox, I know I just couldn't really copy someone else work and even make a skin without some knowledge of the entire process to a degree or even Winamp where all these creative people make skins and features and are given the tools to do so but if you don't really know how to use those tools you can forget it. At least it would force you to learn some basics first and even then I'm not sure it gives them all the info for interaction or cause and effect (maybe it does).

lightspeed, not to parrot the response but I know exactly what you are saying, if you can believe that.(lol) That was my point from the beginning. To avoid such a problem and not to say you our anyone else couldn't find the problem happening but it is just so much harder when so much is happening even when starting from scratch because with Ultra Hal it can sometimes save things without you ever knowing. Then people get amazed when the get a response from Ultra Hal that they would never expect to hear.
Reminds me when everyone was doing a reinstall and did not realize that a Ultra Hal folder sat in the registry after you removed Ultra Hal that caused a lot of problems for the license or really not re-installing cleanly. To me it gets back to Robert M. that does have that knowledge of his foundation. People can read it and even understand what he wrote but how they interact comes out of trial and error. Not a bad thing but for guy like me even though I still try because that's how I was taught it could take a life time and I know I don't have the basic experiences yet.
As you said we as users would find it impossible to use Ultra Hal.

Best regards to you both,
raybe
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:53:44 pm by raybe »

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 09:16:10 am »

Thanks for joining so you can post a spam link!! Hurray!!!! ::)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:18:45 am by markofkane »
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"