Author Topic: Kinect Hacking party  (Read 3155 times)

raybe

• View Profile
Kinect Hacking party
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »
http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/37836/?a=f

Just found this link and realized the potential of Microsoft's Kinect hardware and they even sounded positive about people tearing it apart. Maybe they just made it sound that way. During some code camp.

But it seemed like a nice bit of info for more experienced members and of coarse Robert M. to look at.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/37836/  Just in case because this is the link that some one had posted from another AI forum.

No spam for Kinect just thought others would get more info about it and how it might be easier to implement into Ultra Hal or not.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Kinect Hacking party
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:28:11 am »
that's a very cool find raybe , yeah i think hal should definately be invoved in using kinect abilities
, who knows someday we may evn have a projector image of hal to a certain spot in 3d . many possibilities .  ;)

betzelelgalut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »
ya you should see what MIT is doing with the kinect, linux and robots! its pretty awesome stuff. like minorityreport desktops. i have the kinect hooked up to my ubuntu system, but still hunting for the source code as it is still alpha as of yet. but very very promising. there is this one video a person uses his kinect on ubuntu to teach it object / facial recognition.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:19:37 pm »
Just looking at this technology makes me so impatient especially when it comes to Ultra Hal. I just love the interface between people and their operating systems even if it is virtual and some what limited. The idea of making operating systems so transparent really interests me. I don't even like having many shortcuts on my desktop. Always trying to use more Ultra Hal or other means including panels to hide everything.

I know it doesn't make much sense to even mention right now but if it was 6 years ago and I had the same resources Robert M. would have my blessings to further the development of Ultra Hal. But it isn't and I'm sure there are others including Robert that feel the same way. The timing just really stinks now. (Just venting.)

Thanks,
raybe
Glad you liked the link.