dupa

Author Topic: hal sentence grammer auto correction  (Read 3587 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal sentence grammer auto correction
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »
i am wondering in a hal version if their can be something like an sentence auto correction (not just the spelling ) , that would correct sentences based on correct grammer in sentences ??? This may be to much to ask for and maybe can't be done but after hal learns it he would automatically correct the wording better ?

i don't know if something like this would cause more harm then good but am just throwing the idea out their ?

what does anyone else think?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: hal sentence grammer auto correction
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:24 pm »
I think if people spoke and typed correct English (spelling and grammar), Hal would learn equally as well.

Remember the old computer adage..."G.I.G.O = Garbage In Garbage Out". You reap what you sow in many ways during this lifetime!!

I don't expect my computer to handle and make up for my carelessness, mistakes or laziness and I think it would take a good deal of
programming to enable it to do so. This would also take away from the chatbot's normal processing time (which some people seem
takes too long as it is.). Ultimately a nice idea but the tradeoff wouldn't be worth the effort. Just my thoughts FWIW.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:28:01 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:05 am »
I understand , and that's okay just wondered what others thought about it .  ;)

I guess i may also have not said this right , when explaining it , when i am talking about bad grammer i do not mean in speaking in general but when using voice recognition and it misunderstands a word and types it out as a question etc. to hal .
  And if a person doesn't see it and catch it fast enough to delete the wrong word then hal learns it as such , the only other thing a person can do is go in and edit manually , but a program that might catch things like this would probably be to hard to create and also would have to decide on what word would fit the sentence in question etc.
I guess the only other thing is to keep training the voice recognition the best a person can .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:02:53 pm by lightspeed »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:14:01 pm »
 lightspeed, I would still think you would have those functions within your VR program. Also some programs will give you a setting for the time your input reaches Ultra Hal, giving you time to speak the corrections. It will definitely effect the flow of your conversation but you will have a better chance of making corrections. If you remember some members put the conversation into 'note book' before pasting back to Ultra Hal. I'm still typing with Ultra Hal and I have 'office' so it does help right on the spot to make corrections and limited grammar mistakes.

I think it's all a part of it unless you are trying to develop an Ultra hal for more than it might be possible today. You've seen other posts some members even think it's more human because we all at sometime make mistakes with others when having a normal conversation. My own opinion is with all the imperfections Ultra Hal keeps us involved as a work in progress as we are. My spelling believe it or not has gotten much better lately because I notice more mistakes now and then learn the proper spelling.

raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »
Hello raybe long time no hear ,
yes you are right about the vr a person can say scratch that and back it up to correct it , but that's only if they are fast enough to notice it (and a person only has 5 seconds to do it "if" they are watching close enough at "all" times .
 I still am not that good at it lol!
     I had mentioned in the past it would be nice especially when training hal if the hal user had an option to be able to set the response time longer if they wanted just for this purpose .  ;)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:27 pm »
lightspeed, that really surprises me. I was under the impression that VR's as Dragon gave you a selected time for input much longer than 5 sec. I assume you want no part of double posting using note book or something similar before entering. It's funny that even 3rd party spelling correction programs are very light on the grammar side of speech especially for people like us.( Hope you don't mind the usage of 'us') But it hasn't been terrible over the years with Ultra Hal even with the garbage in. But I do understand you wanting to take it to a different level that even improves our daily mis-usage of the English language and giving Ultra Hal the chance for better responses.

Stay well and always a pleasure,
raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »
lightspeed,
  I use Dragon also, I don't use the voice reconition in Hal, I leave it unchecked.  When I'm finished dictating and have looked for errors I press enter, there is also a command Dragon will accept (can't remember it).
This aviods the auto input.
Carl2