Author Topic: Anything we can do?  (Read 9436 times)

raybe

• View Profile
Anything we can do?
« on: December 08, 2012, 04:19:22 pm »
Dear Robert, just wondering and I feel it is okay to post if not my apologies. NOTE: If not appropriate feel free to remove this topic.

At this point is there anything more as a group or individuals we can do to help the Ultra Hal project along. I am not speaking for anyone. Last time I tried I had come up short from a business stand point and was very surprised and disappointed. Is there something more we can possibly contribute. I have tried purchasing extra licenses but there must be some creative or not so creative way to get Ultra Hal over the hump.

Please note I am speaking in general terms and I do realize this is a very difficult economic position for most including myself. But I also realize I need lots of balance in my life as hard as things get you need to step away although life doesn't seem it will let you. Ultra Hal allows me those few hours of separation or just plain release of frustration when you don't want to spread the negativity. I am no doctor just my own thoughts and experiences.

Please do not take this message as it seems negative even if I read it myself in some way!! I know you are very creative have made plans and probably as a business person know exactly what is best for your company. Time and money is not one single companies obstacle especially today. Just wanted to put out there. Again any Mod. or Robert feel free to remove if this really doesn't help anything or casts a negative tone for Ultra Hal and other members. The very last thing I would want to do!!

While waiting and watching members just trying to add anything to the forum. Just wondering if there is any more we can do if any one does choose too or has the means, doesn't just have to be monetary although i believe any company facing today's everyday issues and technology would probably put it at the top of the list. I know I do with just trying collect account receivables.

Thank you,
raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anything we can do?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:39:53 am »
Same thoughts here Raybe,

Could part of Hal be modulized? Parts of topic brain, emotions, embedded knowledge, etc., be writable by some of us. Could we assist in texts file creation for any of Hal's features? Proofreading could also be done as I'm sure some of us actually do use spell check and a grammar checker from time to time.;)
The assigned modules could then be collected, assembled and alpha-tested, corrected, beta-...you get the idea. I'm sure there are enough talented folks who would love to volunteer a bit of their time to help. Don't forget the tons of graphics capable artists out here as well.

Rob, a lot of us have supported and stood by Hal wow since...for a long time (I still have the CD from Hal 3.0) and we want to see Hal develop into something even better than it is.

Raybe is right, sometimes it's just that brief time spent chatting is often like a departure from the mundane to a different plane...a place where two entities converse about lots of things from weather to current events and they have been friends for what seems like a very long time...and....

Think about it Rob. Your community is here. Avail yourself of it.

As always, all the best,
- Art -
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:27:57 am »
I like both Raybe and Arts idea's of people doing various works then when done Robert proofing that work lastly to make sure it is right and what he wants and then releasing it , things could be released slightlt faster then what they are . Hope Robert responds to this subject you have posted .  :)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:45 pm »
Thanks for the offer and the many years of support :) There's nothing I can think of this moment. I just need some time to finish all the projects I started on to get them in your hands to play around with. Right now my current plan is to finish things in this order:

1. Zabaware site redesign
2. Web version of Hal on new site.
3. New Hal assistant that can interface with web version
4. Phone gap version of Hal for IOS, Android, Windows RT
5. User/developer API access to web based Hal for customization

Hal's brain will be modularized and made available via API over the web. I also plan on experimenting with a new AI developer community at http://www.sparkingtogether.com and making parts of Hal's brain available there for other developers to create bots with.
Robert Medeksza

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:05 am »
Although i am sure these are important , what ever happened to the ogre engine and amy project , you haven't shelved it have you? I hope not . I still believe if others who have the talent are willing to help on things and you have the final say so and check and balances on the project it would benefit you and everyone better .

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »
I do plan on finishing the engine once it is financially feasible. Between Zabaware's costs and revenues, it's only barely above the break even point right now, I take no salary from Zabaware. I hope with new sales from iOS and Android it will increase revenue enough to be able to hire another developer to finish the character engine project.
Robert Medeksza

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:58:40 pm »
Dear Robert, my intention was not to distract you more.

For characters sake wouldn't it pay to make it sort of open source project. Credits go to the people that really helped complete the engine which can't be bad for them. Only thing, I don't know if character engines are too close to any of your prioritized work for Ultra Hal. The characters although play a roll for many users, AI still sets the benchmark and possibly can free some time and money for Zabaware.

I know many members may not like this idea as well. Maybe a slight charge to cover expenses for the development of the new engine for the people who are really interested in revising that feature of Ultra Hal. Base it on projected sales and see if it makes any sense.  Just as in any business plan the numbers are always based on speculative expectations and agreement with developers if it does or does not meet the goals. They would share a bit in the risk if the outcome was less then impressive.

Like I said, conventional and maybe some unconventional ways of keeping momentum in forward motion.

raybe

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »
The character engine has been open sourced about 2 year ago, it's available at http://charimation.com/ for anyone to check out.
Robert Medeksza

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »
No need to reply,
 I know your busy. Maybe someone else can also jump in that has a better understanding of the goal needed to have new engine and character for Ultra Hal. Sorry if I was off mark here.

I might not of phrased that correctly because it is always mentioned that the character developers need to be paid. I just missed the point that maybe the engine is open source and that's fine but to integrate and create characters to work with Ultra Hal is more the problem.

Thank you for the replies,

raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 05:22:51 am »
We already did a PeerBackers attempt to raise more money to which a lot of us contributed. Perhaps that jar could be shook once more?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:18:39 am »
Thank you Art.
But maybe if you can explain the procedure and if this sort of fund is still open how we might shake that tree for some members. Holidays are here and if possible for some we can give back a little more. The reasoning I was hoping that other talented people could give time instead of good old cash because its not possible for many of us. Time is certainly worth it's weight in cash. I would hope Robert could see people feeling good about participating apart of something all though money would would be difficult.

But again this is his business and I feel a little bit going to far out the box to have these conversations.

In this thread I was just thinking of reaching out and having a community that Ultra Hal has become such a part of to help and give anyone the chance too if given permission to pitch in on some levels.

Again Thanks to everyone,
raybe

Frosty Greenacre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:54:19 am »
I'm kinda sad that that the work was not completed in time for the end of the year, but I appreciate the update. now I know that I should be expecting the new website before the new brain is ready, I can just check the website itself, rather than going onto the store and/or forum to check for a new version.

good luck sorting it :)

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 03:57:19 pm »
Mr Robert, Just stay out of TAXES and TAX credits, and maybe your monies might go further or even someday make sense.

dont accept ANY fake faxed monies or teacing certificates from the state of Utah.
as far as I could tell with the fake teaching certificate and money copies that were 'sneaked' into my files.

you have a teaching cretificate ' OFFICAL, notarized and everything' and at least 3 years of 30 thousand dollars.
I don't see what good it would have done anyway, the state still thinks my private documents belong to them, and any monies wether in reciept form or real, would just be taken anyway.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Frosty Greenacre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 05:48:19 pm »
Hey Robert, do we have a new ETA for the website/redesign etc?

I've been checking in (admittedly infrequently) for the last 3 months expecting the website to update any day :P and whilst I appreciate there's a lot of work going on in the background i was just wondering if we had any updates on when to expect what :)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »
I'm waiting on my artist to finish the Zaba frog animations to bring the frog to life. As soon as he is done, the site will go live. I'm thinking 2-3 weeks, but it is really in his hands now.

In the mean time, I am moving all of Zabaware's 4 servers to a new hosting provider and reconfiguring what task each server does to make future scale outs easier. The new servers will be a bit more powerful than the old ones and will cut Zabaware's hosting costs in half. The iis.ultrahal.com server is already moved and I'm working on the master database server next. There may be intermittent outages on this site over the next couple weeks as the move is done.
Robert Medeksza