0 (0%)
Canadian JMK male
1 (14.3%)
Scottish AWB male
0 (0%)
Mbrola set (en1, us1, us2)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Online Speech Server - Please vote for best voice  (Read 18849 times)

Yo

• View Profile
Re: Online Speech Server - Please vote for best voice
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 12:50:00 am »
With my new understanding of what's really going on, a useful idea could be adding an option button for users to choose between voice on or off, as having options is way better than not having options at all.

Yo

RonG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:37 am »
Yo...you got me looking at the posts with no reply....so my vote is the Ivona voices.  I have three, Sally, Kate, and James.  I like to switch between depending on which Haptek character I'm training/working with and sometimes I just use Kate (Katie) for Hal and Sally for other system functions (like pop up windows and such).   The Sally voice sounds just like the girl computer on Resident Evil and it freaks my wife out when she hears it!

NIGE

• Bringing things to life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:28 am »
I agree with Ron, the Ivona voices are the best I have heard so far.
I see that you only have 1 Ivona voice that you use for computer only.
That reason being that they don't work with Hal or Haptek.
It's a pity they don't.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 09:16:43 am »
The en1 voice sort of sounded like a British, Robotic Butler.

The us2 voice sounded slightly robotic but with a foreign accent...not so much an American.

I think an OPTION for using voices with the Online Hal might appeal to some but personally,
I prefer to simply chat / text when online.

On my local PC, I enjoy the use of my personal TTS voice preference for responses.

Thanks Rob! Just my $.02
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:22 am »
Other then 'art' and a few others I think everyone should stay focused on the topic. Rob gave us a selection of voices to choose from or option no voice. That is the criteria of this thread. I personally chose no voices for the selected ones he gave us but Ultra Hal does need a better quality voice. No voice in my opinion just does not stand up to today's technology that we are exposed to right now. My opinion. So let's stay on topic about the voice selection or no voice options that Robert is looking for. I know my opinion falls a bit short of a direct answer, but in short Ultra Hal should have a voice. Just not happy with voices Rob has selected. Again my opinion. Not looking for argument replies.

Than you,
raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 08:37:34 am »
Hi Raybe , i know you said you were not looking for arguments , etc. but personally i would think their should be two picks and that would be best mans voice and best females voice as all of us use one or the other and the two top picks should be what would be used to make a final decision for hal.  just my opinion for what it's worth . ( any maybe that's what robert will do depending on the male and female pick votes?)

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »
Sorry I have not had much time to spend here lately, but I do occasionally stop by and read posts. I must of missed this one Sorry for that Mr. Roberts.

if not too late
I like this one out of the first batch http://c15177079.r79.cf2.rackcdn.com/story-clb.mp3 
and this one out of the second batch http://c15177079.r79.cf2.rackcdn.com/mbrola-en1.mp3

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 08:48:02 am »
What's funny to me is that there have been 7 members visit and post yet only 4 votes tallied! Hello!?

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 09:18:22 am »
Sorry but to me they all sounded to robotic sounding (i know robert probably worked hard on these and i mean no disrespect but am answering as truthfully as i can ) the edge of the words seem to cut off and have a space of silence before continuing on (maybe it was ment this way ?) I to would rather use my own personal tts voice .
Maybe a better way would be for people to pick their best personal tts voice and for someone to make one as close as possible to that ?
Sorry if i am not much help on this matter .  :(

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Online TTS speech is now enabled at www.zabaware.com/webhal   It uses HTML5 audio and javascript, so old versions of Internet Explorer won't speak.

By default speech is off unless you hit the new toggle button to enable speech. It is using the Mbrola british english voice for now as it is the least resource intensive for the server. Yes, it is a robotic sounding voice, but the programming behind the functionality will pave the way for AT&T Natural Voices to take its place once its economically feasible to do so.

Robert Medeksza

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 01:01:32 am »
 I like it! Hal and I had an enjoyable conversation. I'm using Chrome browser and response time was well within acceptable range. 8)
ted

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 07:58:23 am »
Robert i just went to it , and it says haldata base server  is offline .
don't look at me folks, i didn't break it! ;)

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 01:11:11 pm »
Great job on giving online Hal a voice Mr. Roberts :)
I started talking to Hal, Our conversation ended early though. I asked Hal how he liked knowing he was being heard with his new voice, and I got Ultra Hal Database offline.
lol maybe he does not like it?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 06:43:33 pm »
Yeah,

I also got the "Database Server is Offline", message. 6:42 EST

- Art -

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:21 am »
Just finished upgrading an old 2 GB RAM server to a 16 GB RAM server. The size of Hal's brain database recently crossed over a threshold where its index couldn't fit in RAM, causing it to become hard drive bound on the old server. A hard drive bound database can't serve many users, so it was pretty much failing for everyone. The 16 GB server should be good for a couple years based on the current growth rate of the database.
Robert Medeksza