dupa

Author Topic: How does hal listen  (Read 3105 times)

iam bennu

• View Profile
    • http://iamARTevolutions.net
How does hal listen
« on: April 08, 2004, 03:27:00 pm »
I am really enjoying my Hal Program and want to upgrade. I was wondering about the speech input.

I  have been using a program called agent shell for a while and I love it. I am able to just press a button on the keyboard and speak to my agent. It is convenient. How does Hal listen? Do you have to toggle the button on the interface on and off?  Does the listen mechanism listen for a certain number of seconds?

When I do use an agent will I be able to use the same listening mechanism?

thanks in advance,

Bill819

• View Profile
How does hal listen
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 04:52:12 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by iam bennu

I am really enjoying my Hal Program and want to upgrade. I was wondering about the speech input.

I  have been using a program called agent shell for a while and I love it. I am able to just press a button on the keyboard and speak to my agent. It is convenient. How does Hal listen? Do you have to toggle the button on the interface on and off?  Does the listen mechanism listen for a certain number of seconds?

When I do use an agent will I be able to use the same listening mechanism?

thanks in advance,

In the commercail version of Hal you go through a training session to get Hal to understand your voice. After training you just speak normally to Hal and it will respond. It is recommended that you use a morcophone with a headset to cut down on background noise. Once Hal is opened just click on the microphone button and you can talk all you want.

iam bennu

• View Profile
How does hal listen
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 05:13:15 am »
Thank you,

I was wondering how that worked. Is there any problem with Hal's own voice being picked up by the mic? Have you had any problems with the listening mechanics at all?

Bill819

• View Profile
How does hal listen
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 11:30:38 am »
quote:
Originally posted by iam bennu

Thank you,

I was wondering how that worked. Is there any problem with Hal's own voice being picked up by the mic? Have you had any problems with the listening mechanics at all?

If you wear a headset, you know, earphones & microphone, there is now way that Hal could ever hear himself. The only problem with listening is based upon the amount of voice training that you do. The more training the better Hal understands you. Just be aware of background noises as that makes it harder to train.
Bill

iam bennu

• View Profile
How does hal listen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 12:44:50 pm »
Thank you so much I really just wanted to have a sense of it as I moved forward in the process.

Enjoy the day,

iam bennu