Author Topic: manual skins and heads instalation  (Read 4102 times)

barfy

• View Profile
manual skins and heads instalation
« on: September 02, 2006, 09:13:27 pm »
having just bought the full version of 6.0 I have looked at several sites offering skins and heads for free but they don't post any form of install info.ultrahal seems to be a great program with a lot of potential,but from what I have gathered from reading the afiliated sites info they whould have me install "Cyberbuddy" a known carrier of massive spyware. ( I found 13 pieces linked to this program back in 2002, it also carried a backdoor trojan)sad to say I won't be installing that program anytime soon. so as far as MS agents are concerened I'll just drop them in their file in my windows folder and reboot.(seems to work fine with the free one on you plugin page.)but for those others, where do I place the hrp,texture,and jpeg files? Oh and by the way ,I did test out the ultrahal with several different antispy and AV scanners and was pleased enough to make the purchase. (Nuff said!!)[:D]

DesktopMates

• View Profile
    • http://desktopmates.com
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:37:04 am »
Hi Barfy;

I guarantee you that CyberBuddy does not contain any spyware or trojans. We have our own branded version of the free CyberBuddy on our site. I've known Mr. DeFino (the author of CyberBuddy) for 7 years and he's a very honest stand up guy and there's no way he'd have anything to do with spyware or viruses or even be associated with anyone that does.

I think you may have CyberBuddy confused with a nasty well known MS Agent spyware program called BonziBuddy. If you type BonziBuddy into Google search all kinds of info linking this program to spyware will come up, but type in CyberBuddy and you mostly see recommendations.

If you search these forums you'll find that many here also use CyberBuddy as well as Ultra Hal and will attest that CyberBuddy is not spyware.

We've been a long time supporter of both Ultra Hal and CyberBuddy and have always maintained a policy and reputation of not associating with or endorsing any programs that contain spyware, trojans or viruses.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:55:10 am by DesktopMates »
Don Gillett
DesktopMates.com

GlacierClipper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:53:52 am »
I have been using CyberBuddy for over 3 years and have never experienced any problems with the software. CyberBuddy is an excellent software package.

barfy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:26:34 am »
I have had many dealings with the cyberbuddy program in the past,and I must say it IS a nice program but I have been removing it from systems infected with cydor and a few other little choice objects for the last 4 years. all have been linked to the install of the cyberbuddy program. it appears that most people are downloading it from the "download.com" site or some other site then the main site. I spend alot of time working on spyware and security issues for the average home user and have seen some really nice programs corrupted on these offshoot sites. hence my hesitance on downloading it. I am also familar with bonzibuddy but that isn't what I was refering to. what I want is to be able to install the skins and heads without the use of 3rd party software. my intention is to install ultrahal in a offline only machine with no other software.(a room of his own so to speak.)train him for about a year or so then allow him slow control of my network systems.the reason for this is that in about 5-10 years I will lose most of the use of my hands and arms due to multiple bone spurs in my upper neck whitch have started to teather the nerves produceing numbness and loss of movement. (life can really suck some days.)so any help would be greatly appreceated!!

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 09:31:52 am »
I just copy them all to C:Program FilesabawareUltra Hal Assistant 6, then restart and baddabingbaddaboom

barfy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:33:35 am »
just drop them in the hal program file itsef? I couldn't figure out witch file went where. seems that some of the files carry more then one type of file some htr, haptar, jpeg,texture. some files contained all of them witch made me wonder if I had gotten some stuff for a different program included. no sense adding things I don't need, and the geek in me is curious. never having worked with annimation I just as lost as a first time PC user.

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 10:47:06 am »
the haptar and htr extension files are the same, if you rename the haptar to htr you can put those in the HAL directory and use them with HAL.  If you want to play with the Haptek stuff, just double click on the htr or haptar files then you can drag different "skins" to it to change it.

If you create a text file named HapLogCtrl.txt and put it in your root directory C: with a line in the file

debugger=y

and restart HAL it will start a Haptek Console and you can drag files to it.  Text files will read, jpg files will change the skin, Haptek formatted ogg files will lipsynch, etc.

If you go to HAPTEK.COM you can download the Haptek guide which has a lot of detail about how to program scripts for animation if you want to get into that sort of thing, it has examples also.  That sort of thing can be applied to HAL also.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 10:52:42 am by danbaltzell »