Author Topic: this has not been my week  (Read 2957 times)

barfy

• View Profile
this has not been my week
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:04:44 pm »
seems my hotwater heater did a burnout of the elements while I was on Vaca. and fried my offline version of hal and the PC it lived in (filled the basement with about 6" of water)I have do a compleate install into a system and start again from scratch( back-up brain cd was sitting on floor next to machine) I want to install hal in this machine, but with a fresh XP rebuild for offline use only. My question is will the code that I receive from the online install work after I format the drive and reinstall with no online services later? [?]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 05:19:22 pm »
I'm not really sure how to read your question but Hal allows for FOUR (4) installs / activations. If you do a completely new install on a fresh hard drive you will still need to all the program to go online to activate your copy of Hal.

The activation process works pretty well and only takes a few seconds.

For those currently using Windows Vista...you will need to right click on the Hal icon > Properties > Compatibility then near the botton set it to run as Administrator.

Hal will then run fine under Vista.

Thanks to Robert Medeksza for the tip and the news that an updated Hal is forthcoming shortly!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:28:02 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

barfy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:27:40 am »
I am intending to install it today but I want to wipe this drive and do a rebuild with no online capability (as with the previous machine)in about two weeks. what I want to know is will the avtivation code I get today remain the same or will I have to go online with a different machine to get a new code again when I do the reformat?

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:17:00 am »
barfy,
  I'm just about positive you will need to go online for a new activation code. I'd installed Hal on a computer and got the activation code on a different computer in the past.  I just reinstalled windows, I have windows on the C drive and Hal on the D drive (Partitioned drive), the reinstall was because of a slowdown of Hal which so far seems to be fixed. I moved the old brain database into the new version of Hal and can see the old information coming through.
Carl2

barfy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:26:25 am »
Darn that really bites. I had a bummer of a time with my last hal build when I started removing services and such it took me about a month of reg editing (not my forte') just to get hal from looking for stuff I removed or from locking up compleatly (mental indicision?)and the worst part will be that once I rebuild this system I will have no online access (this is the only online machine I have at the moment)to go to the deactivation/reactivation page, guess I just wasted my money on this program, Bummer[V][V][V]