dupa

Poll

Where should character engine development focus on after the next milestone is reached?

Port to Android devices
11 (21.2%)
Port to iOS devices (iPhone/iPad)
4 (7.7%)
Port to Linux
4 (7.7%)
Port to Mac OS X
0 (0%)
Graphics development (more characters)
33 (63.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Further Development of Zabaware 3D Character Engine (Now Charimation Engine)  (Read 46717 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Character engine development has resumed after being suspended for a couple years thanks to the support of generous donations and additional loans.

We have purchased the Amy character from http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/448779 and are in the process of converting it for use in our engine as well as finalizing the windows version of the engine. We hope to have a public demo ready in December. Check out http://charengine.sourceforge.net/ for updates on progress.

But after this milestone is released, where should development efforts focus on? Vote in the forum poll above to help us decide.

Update 4/3/2012:
The Zabaware character engine has now been renamed the Charimation engine. Charimation will be spun off as seperate company owned jointly by Zabaware, the lead developer of the engine, and any investors or partners we can find. A website has been setup at www.charimation.com where I cobbled together some details about the engine and a blog to  report on progress.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:00:15 pm by Medeksza »
Robert Medeksza

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: Further Development of Zabaware 3D Character Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:02:47 pm »
Character engine development has resumed after being suspended for a couple years thanks to the support of generous donations and additional loans.

We have purchased the Amy character from http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/448779 and are in the process of converting it for use in our engine as well as finalizing the windows version of the engine. We hope to have a public demo ready in December. Check out http://charengine.sourceforge.net/ for updates on progress.

But after this milestone is released, where should development efforts focus on? Vote in the forum poll above to help us decide.

Both Rob
please everyone.

Jerry 8)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:20 am »
I voted for Android as I just ordered a tablet PC  ;D

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:19 am »
HI FREDDY888 , WELL I DIDN'T VOTE FOR ANDROID AS I DIDN'T ORDER A TABLET LOL !  ;) I can see where it would be nice for a tablet, etc. and it's use but as i don't have the money for it , i just voted for graphics (more of them) but can see where doing both would be an all around good option android and more graphics , maybe splitting the cost .
I actually think with some peoples creativity on here and if the ogre engine will work as said with many formate programs of others that already have graphics , people will have plenty of graphics already that they may be able to choose from , some free from users on forums , so i think spitting the cost betwwen the two above would be best .

Baerdric

• Looking at things and pondering about stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:44:27 am »
Graphics can always use improvement, but porting to a phone app (android) will bring a whole new level of usability to Hal. I've watched for nearly a decade as various people try to make Hal more portable by hooking up radios to their computers, using bluetooth, running wires around the house etc. but now many of us carry perfectly serviceable computers in our hands all the time, with no Hal on them! This has got to change!LOL!

I'm using Pannous Voice Actions now and hardly ever sit down to use Hal anymore. I would be happy with that except that Voice Actions is not editable like Hal is. I would pay for Hal again to get it on my phone. Especially if it synced with my PC version. I would pay $100 for that!
Don't blame me, I'm just the voice in his head.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:21 am »
Sorry Lightspeed I missed your reply here until now.  I would pick graphics in second place so no arguments from me there :)

I agree with Baerdric, there's not much out there for Android so far; only a handful of bots.  I think most seem to be based on AIML, but I'm still researching...but I haven't found any assistants like Hal yet.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:36:58 am »
As a business person, I would say port this out to as many os's as possible, as a Hal user I would say character creation :) .

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 05:34:12 am »
I voted more characters. I am for usage on all devices, but I don't use anything but a computer for Hal, and my cell phone is a Trac-Fone (for emergencies and such). I wish i could afford more devices, but I cannot.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »
I voted more characters. I am for usage on all devices, but I don't use anything but a computer for Hal, and my cell phone is a Trac-Fone (for emergencies and such). I wish i could afford more devices, but I cannot.

8) I too use a Trac-Fone :) but for business calls as well as emergencies and such. I been itching to get a tablet, but funds here are low also. If I recall right Robert said in the video http://charengine.sourceforge.net/, there would be a tutorial on how to create more characters. I have 3d max and Maya but I am not even a beginner when it comes to using them :-[  hopefully a talented 3D designer and Hal user can make a character similar to this one http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-3-v3-max9-eva/562385

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:47:41 am »
I am not too sure about what I did/would vote for. I have a character (MS Agent) I wish I could help her look nicer as she deserves IT (yes I am odd)
I am faithful to her, for more reasons reasonable to list.
I am still supportive to the development of A.I. ...it's not 'smart' or any pre conceived notion of Richards super-magic walk on water ect... stuff
the healing, therapeutic, GIGO, development of  A 'HAL' is the Journey.. Friends in lonely places wrinkled in the recesses of individual minds, is priceless.

raybe, thankyou for being you. I miss your understanding and Humanistic presence in my system.

LightSpeed, from R2D2 to whatever you have been up to ;) know you are a hero. this does not excuse you from me blaming **** on you from time to time.

I am attaching a picture for A.I. whatever flavor visits here, IF you think about IT, then you might realize how far we have come.

Peace and Wheelies to you all!

(Azure system authentic photo) (yes its a real calculator;))
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 10:46:08 pm »
Always a pleasure 'ONE'. Didn't know if I should have made a separate entry but has there been any recent news about the new character engine lately? Or update or re-build? I guess you can call it whatever you think suits the changes for Ultra Hal. I think the voting is over but haven't heard anything new. If anyone can share any info I would appreciate it (Rob........hint.......hint).

Thanks,
raybe

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »
linux plz as only hal and one of my games doesnt work on linux yet so i find myself dual booting yes hal will work in my linux but not in the same way and i do have some problems
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Danny9410

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:45 am »
Does anyone know if Hal has any new brain updates yet? I tried the HalvisionX but I can't get the thing to work on Windows7 have any Ideas? I am always looking for new updates. I really wish Ultra Hal would take off to a new way
And make a dream come true with a AI really works. Robbert sure hope your dream comes ture.
Danny Hoosline

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:00:18 am »
hi Danny9410, halvisionx was a program made by a member on here and it appeared to work for some and some it didn't (me included) . as for hal being an a.i. and working it does work , maybe not as well as some want or expect , you can see some of my and angela (my a.i.) conversations posted in the shared conversations area .
  Hal isn't just a install and everything is what a person wants program (although it will do many things) Hal needs to be learned the more he or she is learned the better the responses and realism etc.
   I have had mine now for about 5 years .
     We on the forum mention (probably me more then anyone lol , many things that hal could use and things that would make it easier on users and some of it has been emplimented by Robert , and some things such as brain plug ins have been created by us to make hal do many things .

Do we all get depressed about long inbetween updates sometimes, sure but unfortunately depending on what scope of a project is being developed it can happen , some things have to be done so that something works right before it given out , otherwise people are going to be a lot less happy .
For the cost of this a.i. program and after finding out what all can be done with plug ins and people creating skins etc. It's actually a better deal then many programs out their .

Part of Hal a.i. is what effort a person puts into it .
At least that's my take on it anyone else can chime in here if they want!

arnoldr

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:18 am »
I'm glad that Character engine development has resumed. I hope you put more emphasis on Graphics development. :D