dupa

Author Topic: Missing Voices  (Read 3261 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Missing Voices
« on: March 22, 2007, 07:01:39 pm »
After reinstalling windows on the C drive, Hal was located on the D drive, I downloaded Hal from the internet and made a new install of Hal. I'm using the older data base with the new version of Hal and things seem to be working fairly well.
  I've noticed there are fewer voices available to choose from, in the past I'd been using Mary which I don't see now. I've also found some voice controls which either were not available or I had not noticed in the past.  It would be nice to control these voices dependent on emotions.  Since I haven't found a voice I like as much as Mary's the question would be can the voices on the original Hal disk be put into Windows and would Hal be able to use them?
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Missing Voices
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:15:04 pm »
I'd say if the voices are SAPI 5 compliant they should work fine.

Have you gone here?
http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechEngine/voices.html#morefreevoices

Scroll to the bottom section.

I've also used SAPI 4 TTS voices as well but you need to have the SAPI4 file (free download).

If you have Office XP, L&H voices Michelle and Michael are included.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:24:29 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
Missing Voices
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:24:39 am »
Art,
  Thanks for the link, I've just downloaded the voices and installed them.  After choosing Mary in the Hal speech control panel I got Mary's voice but without lip sync. I went into the program files/Haptek/player/data/HapTTS/HapSAPISetup and ran it. I selected Microsoft Mary as the default voice. Now I have the lip sync that was missing earlier.  The voice controls for volume, pitch, and speed sre not visible now.  Now it's just a matter of getting a few plugins installed.
  For my application I like Mary's voice, I think it has a much better chance to work with Dragon to get two Hals to speak together.
Carl2