Author Topic: How can I create a blank 'newborn' brain?  (Read 6835 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
How can I create a blank 'newborn' brain?
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:57:47 am »
Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to create a blank brain where my bot had no knowledge whatsoever, and teach her from scratch as if she were a newborn child. I got the idea from the classic chatbot 'Daisy.' If you're not familiar, Daisy was a DOS based chatbot that started with no knowledge, and it learned even how to form sentences by listening to the user. This was fascinating to me, and I think it would be interesting to do with my Hal bot. Is there a way I can do this with Hal?

Thanks in advance,
Dorian

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: How can I create a blank 'newborn' brain?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:49:06 am »
I am not sure about a totally blank brain , but you can create a custom new brain (create new brain and name it) that works with the original , you can customize the answers area , etc. just be careful what you do though as some things can cause errors .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:33:32 pm »
Someone made a "Blank Slate Brain" some years ago. It was a pretty well stripped down version with just rudimentary info.

Hal's brain has to contain a fair amount of handling routines and some basic information. Try Lightspeed's advice and create a new brain if you can't locate the Blank Slate Brain in the archives. Then again, I'm not sure which version it was for. It should be pretty obvious once / if you locate it.

Good luck. I used to love teaching Daisy too! Sadly, I still have the program but it doesn't run under Win 7. Yes, I've tried compatibility and various settings except for a VM environment.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »
I remember the blank slate brain. If memory serves it was for Hal 5.xx.
I would search "blank slate brain" and see what you come up with.

Hope that helps.

Here found it http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=1309.msg4155#msg4155
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:19:21 pm by doggs »
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:16 pm »
Someone made a "Blank Slate Brain" some years ago. It was a pretty well stripped down version with just rudimentary info.

Hal's brain has to contain a fair amount of handling routines and some basic information. Try Lightspeed's advice and create a new brain if you can't locate the Blank Slate Brain in the archives. Then again, I'm not sure which version it was for. It should be pretty obvious once / if you locate it.

Good luck. I used to love teaching Daisy too! Sadly, I still have the program but it doesn't run under Win 7. Yes, I've tried compatibility and various settings except for a VM environment.

Yeah, I tried to run Daisy for the first time in years today, and found out it doesn't run on Windows 8. I tried the compatibility and other settings too. I'm thinking about finding a cheap used laptop with an old OS on it to run it on.

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:54 pm »
I remember the blank slate brain. If memory serves it was for Hal 5.xx.
I would search "blank slate brain" and see what you come up with.

Hope that helps.

Here found it http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=1309.msg4155#msg4155

Thanks. Unfortunately, the file has been removed.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:55:58 am »
Unfortunately the file was by my old friend Don Ferguson and for the earlier version of Hal that's no longer usable (for all purposes). It relied on brn files instead of writing to a Table. It's almost 11 years old as well.

If you modify Hal's Tables (removing certain entries), make sure you BACKUP Hal's data files (db) before doing so.

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:49:03 am »
I just seen there is a Hal 6 version. I would check some of the member sites and hope someone with a copy of it stops by this thread.

Good luck.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »
Well, after some head scratching and pondering, I remembered to check an older "archived" DVD of UltraHal related files: skins, textures, characters, backgrounds, brains...yeah...that was the one.

Sure enough, BlankSlateBrain.uhp (or something similar).

Downside...Like I mentioned, it was for Hal 5.X not 6.X

If one wishes to use it in hopes of possibly modifying it then feel free but do not expect it to work with Hal 6.X as the old one used .brn files and not the Tables.

Proceed at your own risk, and by all means read the Instructions at the top of the file once opened (use text editor) - Likewise if someone else has a version for 6.X then by all means post away!

Here ya go:

- Art -