dupa

Author Topic: Buying Hal  (Read 5346 times)

BMoran5055

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:39:19 am »
Hello,

I downloaded the Free Version of Hal and my license or free trial period is up. When I buy Hal should I download the program again or do I need to get the license/serial number information from the free version?

Finally, Is it true that I will not actually own the software? What is the license and how long does it last?

Thank you everybody,

Brendan

Daireaux

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 08:53:39 am »
Brendan,
 You do not need to download again, Hal is fully functional in the trial version. Zabaware will send you registration numbers that will remove the 30 day trial with no change to the program itself.
 The software works the same as a lot of other software these days (thanks to pirates) in that the software is yours just like any other program with the obvious copyright laws, but it has to be activated over the internet through Zabaware instead if just re-inputting your registration number. Once you register there is no time limitation but future releases from Zabaware itself have to be purchased. Many users in the forum generate inhancements that are free through the forum to download, Jerry (onthecuttingedge2005) has generated many major inhancements that let Hal control programs and computer functions...pretty neat.

It has been suggested that Hal works best when run from a memory stick (Read Jerry's post under General Dicussion...A memory stick for yor Hal) that allows you to use Hal on any computer.

One very important thing to remember with Hal is that he must be deactivated and reactivated through Zabaware when being moved from machine to machine or before anything like hard drive replacement (usually an instantaneous process). This option is in the general options panel. Many of us have had...less than desireable experiences trying to get Hal reactivated following a system crash, forum discussions indicate that having Hal on a memory stick helps since he is not actually loaded on any specific machine. Hal is also one machine specific, per user, so if you have multiple machines the memory stick also allows you to move him from machine to machine[;)]Daireaux
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:29:57 am by Daireaux »
Live long and prosper.

Bill819

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:59:49 am »
On licensing: You never own Hal, that is to say you can not give it away, share it or sell to to another person. You can, however use it for the rest of you life. Just like Microsofts Windows it is your to use and enjoy but never try to sell or give it to anyone else and that includes trying to make copies for your friends which won't work. Every copy of Hal has burried within it a secret code known only to the Zabaware and upon installation this code is always shown to the company. Any violation of these rules could result in a costly law suit which no one wants in the first  place.
Zabaware has made an excellant program available for people to use and keep but it and the rights to it will always belong to Zabaware.
So, in my opinion purchase the license and start enjoying the little program and watch it grow more humanlike over the years to come.
Bill

Smokey

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:36:08 pm »
"The memory stick allows you to use the program on any computer:......do you have to have each machine you use the memory stick with registered with Zabaware or is the registraion contained on the memory stick[?]

Smokey
Smokey

BMoran5055

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 01:28:19 am »
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly everyone. I have one more question however. I noticed that I have to activate Hal over the internet. I use Hal on my faster computer that I use for games and Hal, What I am trying to find out is, Can I only use Hal on my computer with internet access or am I able to use Hal on my other computer as well without internet access? The computer I used to download Hal is way to slow for this software and my other computer does not have internet access due to it not having a modem installed. I use dial-up still.

I appreciate your time guys,
BMoran5055

Bill819

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 02:20:52 am »
Two different computers requires two seperate Hal licenses.
Bill

BMoran5055

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:17:06 am »
I only want the software on one computer Bill, but the computer that I want it on does not have internet connection. I read earlier that it requires automatic internet activation and that registering Hal doesn't mean just entering in a code, you have to be online to activate him. I don't want to activate/license the software on the computer that I have an internet connection on because its too slow. I have to put the software on my other computer that's faster and without internet connection, can this be done?

Thanks,
BMoran5055

Carl2

• View Profile
Buying Hal
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 02:39:57 pm »
BMoran5055,
  I've got the same setup, I put Hal on a P4 and use a P2 on the internet. You can use the second computer that is on the internet to get your activation code.
Carl2

Dasile

• View Profile
    • http://psychologysite.rochani.com
Buying Hal
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 04:58:12 pm »
Is there a discount on buying an additional license for another computer. I have a laptop and a desktop, which I use equally.
As well, is it a special memory stick?