dupa

Author Topic: 3D characters  (Read 6032 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
3D characters
« on: April 12, 2006, 02:51:47 pm »
All,
  While looking through a digital art magazine I came across a website which i visited,  it seems thay have 3D characters similar to Hapteks.  I'm hoping someone who has more knowlege about this will visit the site and provide some information to us novices.
 link is : http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?

Carl2

smegma

• View Profile
3D characters
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:27:55 pm »
I spent a lot of time on this site.I am certainly a novice,but it looks as if thier mimic program is the best bet.Unfortunately it seems that even if thier programs would work with hal:the legal aspects would be a nightmare.They do have some awesome artwork --thanks for the link.[:)]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
3D characters
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 03:14:57 am »
The difference between this kind of thing is that the Haptek Player animates as it goes along, ie, it's a 'Realtime' rendering - whereas DAZ3D is a more finished 'set-piece' animation - like a movie or short clip.

So take for example the Happy mood in Hal - it can vary a bit and goes through variations and it moves parts of the body around.  But if you had a 'happy' film-clip instead, you'd see the same repeated clip again and again or at different times (perhaps - depending on how well spliced or varied the movie is).

Think of it like the difference between a flag billowing in the wind, and a repeating loop of film showing a flag billowing in the wind.

The other thing is the DAZ stuff is more artistic-oriented and photorealistic.  I guess when we all have even faster graphics cards the quality of the two fields won't look so far apart - the time it takes now though to render a single flat DAZ image tells you that their technology would be too slow to get the kind of real-life feel that the Haptek heads give on anything other than the fastest PC's.

On that last point even if you could it would still need further development to be like a Haptek type system - as it is though theres no reason why you cant use Daz to make a series of animations and play them back as wanted in a program like Hal - I think that's basically how MSAgents work and is already being done using programs like DAZ.

Probably the most direct way is to make a series of your own animations and have hal run them on demand in any kind of player that will play things like avi and mpg - the kind of files programs like DAZ produce as an end result.

As Hal can run external programs it's not really limited to just Haptek and MSAgent, someone industrious enough could create any kind of playback animation - even using film of real people.  For more on that try the Virtual Humans site, I saw some links there this week to work by someone making characters that really are hard to tell from a real person - basically because they are a real person - just that he seemed to be using clever and blended playback of footage of an actual person.

I hope that made sense, I tried to answer as best I could.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 04:25:54 am by freddy888 »

Carl2

• View Profile
3D characters
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:54:05 pm »
Freddy,
  Thanks for the info, Paula SG uses a repeated animation that becomes boring after a while. I feel your saying there Happy would be one state that didn't change even a little and Hapteks dose offer small changes in that state. Thay do offer clothing but didn't mention collision detection. Also thay do offer muscles where we would use a morph to change shape of a muscle area, ( my guess )
Carl2

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
3D characters
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 02:29:21 pm »
Yes Haptek avoids the repetition bit.

Clothing for Daz ?  From my experience you have to do a fair bit of tweaking on Daz figures so that everything lines up - I don't think it has Collision detection 'built in', at least not with every item.

The Daz software - when I last used it - was aimed more at doing single renders or animation.  It's more like you have to craft something than throw things at it and see it work lol.

Carl2

• View Profile
3D characters
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:13:18 pm »
Freddy,
  Again thanks, from what you said it sounds like it would be a waste of time to try working with it, Hal keeps me busy enough without a project that size.  
Carl2

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
3D characters
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 03:41:38 am »
No problem, I didn't mean to imply it was a waste of time, you could probably do some interesting things with it and Hal.  Perhaps it is a bit more than a one person project though, I did look into the idea myself, but backed away - I also thought my pc would not be fast enough too.

Perhaps in time if they develop it in the right kind of direction for our kind of use, it won't be such a difficult path.  I still recommend having a play with it though for the graphical side alone - you can do some nice things with it.

I think the trick to using it with Hal though is using it alongside a renderer like Blender - perhaps using both products to make something Hal could work with - it's been a while since I saw anything on Blender though here, Rob did say he would look into it, but since then Hal6 has taken most of his time I imagine.  For a no cost outlay it does makes it worth a look sometime though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:47:03 am by freddy888 »

claude

• View Profile
3D characters
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 03:43:39 pm »
hugs! i search heather valentine! thank you for information!!