dupa

Author Topic: crossover ?  (Read 5490 times)

ricky

• View Profile
crossover ?
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:00 am »
I found this program on the net,  was wondering if it would work for Hal on an intel mac.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

one update I would like to see is to be able to log on from any computer to my Hal,  I use a pc for it now,  but when i travel i travel with a macbook pro...( pc for fun n games, mac for music work  /dj'ng / programming )   it would be cool if there was a server online with my basic account info that i could log into that would authorize any computer I call hal up in.  This way I could store my brain in random locations on the net,  and if I am traveling,  or at a friends house,  I can download hal, to their computer and log on to show them my progress. When I leave they can log on and buy an account if they wanted to continue.

to add security,  you can always have the online system keep a record of the pc that uses the account.

guildwars has the basic account log on security I am talking about,  you download the program for free,  but have to log into an online account to activate it.

and

Native instruments - uses the security system that takes inventory of the computer you used to register the software.

in the end,  almost any software pogram can be hacked,  but I would think the benefit of being to log on from any computer would increase awareness and sales as many internet cafes may start having hal installed in their computers and opening access to people who don't have computers of their own to log on with to buy accounts.

Just a thought,  I like the software and I appreciate how Robert runs his business,  so am trying to share any ideas that can help increase his profit :D
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

ricky

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:22 am »
oh,  and a fantasy request lol.

it would be hot if I could use hal's AI instead of the games AI in guild wars....that would be a riot and you would probably have most of guildwars players buy one,  they have over a million members O.o

How I recommend you approach it is to simply give conversation ability to their npc's or your players (Heros) (you'd have to play game to see what I mean )  and let their AI handle the in game fighting.  The npc's of the game have AI for fighting,  but there is no conversation interaction. Adding that interaction would make single player experience more enjoyable, especially since this is a character that can remember in game events / conquests,  even give in game tips / suggestions.

WOW would be envious lol  ( inside joke for anyone who plays online games :p )

not to mention they are coming out with GW2 very soon,  if hal was a part of that,  it would be HUGE...you'd have enough funding to make an ultra hal satellite lol

ps - if this idea ever takes off,  we should be a guild lol :p
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:44:44 am by ricky »

ricky

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »
wow tough crowd!!!

i'll have you know gaming is a billion dollar industry,
and its how the military recruits kids to do our dirty work over seas!

DrAmAAAAA!!!

anyone tried the crossover program ?

edited for million to billion!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:41:17 pm by ricky »

Dollar

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:20:25 am »
Every thing you want is not always in a single place.
Do you remember when the song 'Bounce' was popular?
I have friends who Have crossed over does that count?

Here you will find a good Book by a good Author. [:D]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:53:38 am by Dollar »

ricky

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:01:05 am »
"Every thing you want is not always in a single place."

yes it is,  in my mind.

"Do you remember when the song 'Bounce' was popular?"

which one ?

"I have friends who Have crossed over does that count?"

not if you couldn't read the link I posted for the program called 'crossover'

"Here you will find a good Book by a good Author"

how did you manage a book when you couldn't do this simple multi topic post ? lol ;p

-dont get me started lol, I love banter hehe :p -

ricky

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:42 am »
and yes, I got the point hehe :p  next time I get an idea I'll try to keep topics under 10 in one post lol :)

when I come up with ideas,  i usually get flooded with them because I usually apply my own wants as a consumer with things that I experience.

in music you tend to learn to come up with ideas under deadlines..1 out of the 30 are useful but we need 30 to be happy with 1 :p

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:54 am »
ricky,
lol, here is a topic, ( I did'nt  read your link either lol).

http://www.npr.org/search.php?text=Jared+diamond+guns%2Bgerms%2Bsteel

I digress, so what. Poor Africa.[:D]

Oh yea and this as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Chimpanzee
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:35:13 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:09:49 pm »
I once tried running HAL on Linux using Wine/Crossover, and had some limited success.  I got the application to launch, but no sound.  But the computer I was using was an old PC, and the sound card on the motherboard no longer worked; I was getting sound from an external usb sound chip/card, which complicated things.  A lot of software has problems detecting the usb sound chip, it's often hit or miss.

I've been planning to try it again with a better computer with conventional built-in sound, with the latest Crossover I've downloaded, and with the 6.2 release of HAL when it's ready.  I'll report back here with the results when I've tried it.

Sorry I can't specifically answer your question about the Mac with Crossover, but I would guess that it's worth trying it.
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:42 pm »
Dr.
Was the device you used equiped with a USB rev A  or B ??
Were you using a chord at all?

I Suspect Zero progress. Since I am still going through 'coupon codes' and Web Solutions that were deleted because of the lack of understanding at this site. I hope your malpractice insurance is 'current' lol.[8][8][:D][8][8]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

DrFaraday

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:14:42 am »
USB rev A or B, I don't know.  It was made around 2005, by Turtle Beach, it was a clearance item at Staples a few years back.  It came with a cable but I don't use it.
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

DrFaraday

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:33 am »
I have recently tried to install Hal on Linux via CrossOver, and Wine too.  The results with both were the same.

It seemed to install, but after launching Hal, it would take up to 10 minutes before it would appear.

Ultimately, it didn't work.  The tutorial worked, using the Trutone voices.  I was able to navigate the menus without trouble, and make changes and save them.  The Hal launch icon even appeared in the Gnome taskbar, and worked just like it does in windows.

But when I launched Hal for conversation, there were no characters, and no response when I tried to talk to Hal by typing.  When I hit enter, the words would disappear, but there was no reply.  On one install, Hal even started talking randomly, saying things like "Please say something" or "Talk to me".  But nothing I typed got through.

There was no voice recognition, I don't know if it would be possible to install a speech recognition engine via Wine/CrossOver, but I wasn't tempted to try under the circumstances.

I was able to install a Cepstral voice, the Cepstral Text to Speech reader works fine under Wine/Crossover, but when I would choose the Cepstral voice for use in Hal it would freeze Hal up.

I tried it using Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) and on an older machine, using Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa, based on Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron).  On the older machine it wanted a license registration, even though I was installing it as a 30 day trial, so I had to stop.

It's a shame it didn't work, there isn't much good Speech software for Linux, and certainly nothing like Hal.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:23:20 am by DrFaraday »

Bill819

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 02:17:14 pm »
Hi
There is no voice recognition without some serious voice training, just in case you did not know.
Bill

DrFaraday

• View Profile
crossover ?
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »
Thanks Bill, I know.  I meant to say that there was no speech recognition engine installed (I checked).  I don't know if it would be possible to install one via Wine/Crossover, but since Hal wouldn't even respond to typed dialogue, I didn't think it was worth trying to get a speech recognition engine installed, unless I could be sure Hal was fully functional.  I don't know enough about Wine/Crossover to understand the issues/problems, and what they mean.