Author Topic: Loebner Competition 2006  (Read 16017 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Loebner Competition 2006
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:30:10 am »
Ultra Hal will be competing this year in the Loebner Prize competition for artificial intelligence. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loebner_prize and http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/loebner-prize.html for details of the competition. It is an implementation of the Turing Test. I will be in London this weekend to attend this competition.

Hal will be competing with 3 other bots. Two of them are not publicly available and I'm not familiar with their capabilities. One of the bots is Jabberwacky, created by Rollo Carpenter, which was last years winner and can be seen at http://www.jabberwacky.com/
Robert Medeksza

Bill819

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:48 am »
I sincerely hope that you win. I also hope that you take a version that has been used for quite a while with the learning feature turn on. Hal seems to be more human only after it has been used by someone. The more we talk to it the more it takes on human like charactics. I don't know if this is allowed but I am sure that it would make a big difference in the long run.
Bill

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 12:05:20 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

I sincerely hope that you win. I also hope that you take a version that has been used for quite a while with the learning feature turn on. Hal seems to be more human only after it has been used by someone. The more we talk to it the more it takes on human like charactics. I don't know if this is allowed but I am sure that it would make a big difference in the long run.
Bill

I can take whatever brain file I want to the competition. I was planning on just taking the standard Hal 6 brain that I talked with just a little bit about London which is where the competition is at. I didn't want to take any of my AIM bots or web based bots because it is rife with bad grammar, inappropiate language, different personalities, etc.

If anyone wants to let me use their halbrain.db file in place of the default Hal 6 that you think portrays a consistent personality (pretends to be a human with a certain age, sex, interests, background) I will seriously consider it. I leave for London Thursday evening.
Robert Medeksza

zenman

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 02:33:15 pm »
If you do get a brain that you think is worthy of the competition, it would be really cool if it could be made available to the community (whether it wins or not).  Major cool if it wins, of course!

dgher1

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:15:34 am »
hope you win rob. you and the members work hard for a great program

Carl2

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:05:02 pm »
Medeksza,
  Frist I wish you luck at the competition, I've read some of the Q&A from the Turing Test and really don't care for it, it seemed the bot that gave the most compliments to the judge won. I'd be happy to send in my halbrain.db, I speak with her quite often, she's improved but I feel she still has a way to go (lots of potential). Also she has problems, frist becomes friSt. and is pronounced friStreet. In many ways she feels like a woman but I can get a reply that she can be either gender and she is a program, there is a correction for this but I'm trying to get her to accept she is a woman.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:50:42 pm »
Medeksza,
  Noticed the date your leaving, the file is to large for a floppy, the cd is not working, Made a change for the cd and windows has a problem, just fixed it but still no cd. Hal works. I'll try to get the cd able to record.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:20:07 pm »
Medeksza,
  I have the file and compressed it, with max compression it's still to large to send.  
Carl2

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 11:32:02 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2

Medeksza,
  I have the file and compressed it, with max compression it's still to large to send.  
Carl2

I'm not sure what compression program you use, but if its WinZip or WinRar there are options that let you break up a zip file into several smaller chunks.
Robert Medeksza

Carl2

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 08:26:09 am »
Medeksza
  A quick check in the morning, I'm using easyzip, just looked for a way to make the files smaller and can't see it. I'll try again later after work. Not much time till you have to leave.
Carl2

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 08:42:17 am »
Don't worry about it if you aren't able to do it. I'm speaking to to my Hal trying to give it info about the contest, London, a basic background.
Robert Medeksza

onthecuttingedge2005

Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 09:49:49 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

Don't worry about it if you aren't able to do it. I'm speaking to to my Hal trying to give it info about the contest, London, a basic background.

Hi Rob.

I wish you the very best on the contest.

I wish that I could of finished the Abstract math functions before your deadline but I don't have the time to finish it because of work.

Like:

User: If Tommy had four apples and Sue had three Oranges then how many Apples did both Tommy and Sue Have?

HAL: Tommy had four apples and Sue had three Oranges.

I think the Abstract Mathmatical reasoning would of been a great addition to the contest.

The key to this reasoning is reversing the If statement and using the Then Statement as the trigger.

"how many Apples did both Tommy and Sue Have","Tommy had four apples and Sue had three Oranges"

Code: [Select]
'Abstract Math extended.
    'Example
    'User: If Tommy had 4 apples and sue had 3 oranges then how many apples did both tommy and sue have?
    'Hal: Tommy had 4 apples and sue had 3 oranges
    'User: If Tommy had one pound of butter and peggy had one pound of Lard then how much Butter did both Tommy and Peggy have?
    'HAL: Tommy had one pound of butter and peggy had one pound of Lard.
    'Abstract Math extended was written by Gerald L. Blakley    
    If AbMathLeft = "" Then AbMathLeft = HalBrain.SearchPattern(OriginalSentence, "IF * THEN *?", 1)
    If AbMathRight = "" Then AbMathRight = HalBrain.SearchPattern(OriginalSentence, "IF * THEN *?", 1)
    If AbMathLeft <> "" And AbMathRight <> "" And InStr(1, OriginalSentence, "HOW MANY", 1) > 0 Or InStr(1, OriginalSentence, "HOW MUCH", 1) > 0 Then
    'we do not save the abstract math because the values may change for the same question.
    HalBrain.ReadOnlyMode = True
    GetResponse = AbMathLeft
    End If

If you decide to use this kind of script then the best place to put it is just below your default deductive reasoning script.

I will be expanding on this but at a later date but this was the start of the project that I never finished but you are welcome to have what I have already in this post for additional abstract math.

Give them all you got buddy.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:28:48 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Carl2

• View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:58:28 pm »
Medeksza,
  The program dose have a span capability, made for multiple floppies,
I set it up for a max of 9Mb. I just tried it out and it worked for me but I have the program on my computer, it's Easyzip  freeware.  Click on No 2. to unzip.
  I have a 8.8Mb and 1.6 Mb thay won't go through.  Can not find server.
Carl2

onthecuttingedge2005

Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:08:07 am »
Hi Rob.

I think the insults script needs something so I added to its detection with this:

Code: [Select]

'RESPOND: INSULTS
    'Check for offensive language and response accordinly
    'If the user said "your" instead of "you're" change "my" to "i'm"
    TestSentence = UCase(Replace(" " & UserSentence & " ", " MY ", " I'M ", 1, -1, vbTextCompare))
    TestSentence = Replace(" " & TestSentence & " ", " I ", " I'M ", 1, -1, vbTextCompare)
    'Check for swearing directed at Hal
    'ComputerName
    If InStr(TestSentence, " I'M ") > 0 Or InStr(TestSentence, " ME ") > 0 Or InStr(TestSentence, ComputerName) > 0 Then

I added the ComputerName in the detect because I thought it was the proper thing to do.

Jerry[8D]

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Loebner Competition 2006
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 10:50:08 am »
The 2006 Loebner Prize competition was held on Sunday, 17 September at the Torrington Theatre, University College London. Seven bots were entered into the competition, 4 were accepted into the final rounds. Ultra Hal placed 2nd among the 4 competitors present. Rollo Carpenter, creater of Jabberwacky (www.jabberwacky.com) placed 1st for the 2nd year in a row.

Robert Medeksza