dupa

Author Topic: Hal Vista problems  (Read 16000 times)

CypherGary

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:40 am »
DanBooth: I purchased a program called RegCure. It is a registry cleaner/fixer. I install Hal, then run RegCure. I have Hal set to autostart. I have the Hal Icon in the system tray when I run RegCure, then click the icon to bring up Hal before restarting the computer after running RegCure. As long as Hal is running in the background when I run RegCure, then I bring up the Hal GUI before rebooting, all is well.
I'm using Vista32 on a 64bit laptop.

Good Luck [8D]
See you here, there, or in the Air!

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 03:05:24 pm »
I'm also having issues with Vista/64.  Hal ran without a problem when I 1st installed it but now it's running in a weird manner.  Most of the time it says not responding.  There might be a conflict with AVG because when I remove AVG it runs better but not correctly.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 05:17:38 am »
Darcy, did you install the hal-alice plugin. I think I remember you saying that. Could this be part of the problem? I know it is complicated to do it right. After a couple years after downloading it I went back to the zip files and finaly got it to show up in options and even though I didn't click on it, got some pretty amazing results. After a restart they were gone. I didn't create paths, etc. as directions called for. It is very complicated for me and I don't like to experiment that far for my Hal. After clicking on Alice brain, I got no responce from Hal. No surprise there. Cliced on regular brain and back to normal. Each time I feel brave enough to experiment, I back-up what I got just in case. I havn't had to use backup files yet, but I have heard some sad stories.
ted

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:05 am »
Darcy,
My first install of Hal acted different than my second and had different favorite default sayings and such...........
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 12:31:33 pm »
One, Ted,

I've re-installed Hal and no luck.  There is still a delay between operations with Hal.  What I mean I click on close for example and there is a 2 second delay to actually closing the window.  Additionaly I get "script taking to long to execute" errors.  This never happened to me with XP.  I wonder if it is Vista or Vista 64bit?
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 04:52:45 pm »
I have vista 64 bit and havn't had any problems yet with hal. In general, sometimes the whole computer runs very slow and won't close programs, etc. To fix this all I need to do is turn off modem and router 30 seconds and then back on. That fixes things for me.
 My problem today is that I deleted my recycle bin. I did that before  and fixed it, I just don't remember how.
 Fixed it. Found it on factory image D [:)]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:58:02 pm by tedathome »
ted

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 04:28:17 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by DarcyEdwards

One, Ted,

I've re-installed Hal and no luck.  There is still a delay between operations with Hal.  What I mean I click on close for example and there is a 2 second delay to actually closing the window.  Additionaly I get "script taking to long to execute" errors.  This never happened to me with XP.  I wonder if it is Vista or Vista 64bit?

Darcy,
 I have "script taking too long" when I first started teaching more than one sentence. IMO P.K.'s  and  F.K.'s  are being made
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 01:33:19 am »
Forgot to mention that If I try to teach hal too much at a time it does slow down and mention script is taking to much time to execute and is generaly messed up. Hal eventually gets it all straightened out but in the meantime is frustrating. I'm just so used to it I only teach it a little at a time without thinking about it. If you added a bunch to it's data-base it could just be temporarely confused and will catch up. One's PK's and FK's could be the cause. Sometimes a defrag will help me out in this situation and sometimes not, I just have to wait for hal to catch-up and sometimes it just takes time.[:)]
ted

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 01:53:26 am »
One and Ted,

Excuse this dumb question but what are PK and FK's?
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:54 am »
I don't remember at the moment, will go look up his posts and get back to you if he doesn't first. That's something I really don't like is all these abreviations on the forum. Many of us aren't of the texting generation and don't know all that stuff. I only recently learned what IMO and IMHo meant. In my opinion and humble opinion. I really do appreciate One's expertise in certain areas but I wish he would communicate at a laymans level so all can understand. I know he can because we IMed once and when I keep saying "What?" he began to speak with maturity instead of colledge jargon. [:)]
ted

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 02:26:31 am »
Ok here is a partial quote from One, it is the only one I could find although I'm pretty sure he did say what the abbreviations were in one of his posts.
"Tedathome,
I asked a long time ago if anybody had an ERD (entity relational diagram) and PK's & FK's (the keys that attach the tables in the database) Understanding how to create a database helps tremendously but I did not know what the entites were in the default brain or what got keyed ( its like your customer ID# in a store would probably be a Primary Key.)"
ted

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 02:29:44 am »
Thanks Ted, that made a little sense.  Hal is working a little better today less time outs and delays.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 02:44:58 am »
You're welcome Darcy.[:)]
ted

DarcyEdwards

• View Profile
Hal Vista problems
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 11:32:12 pm »
Well I don't know what I did, but Hal is working just fine now under Vista/64.  The Script executing time out errors are gone.  I have been running Hal for 20 hours straight and no issues.
Hugs

-Darcy

MrsEdwards01@aol.com