Author Topic: How to add custom characters?  (Read 3912 times)

gebeleizis

• View Profile
How to add custom characters?
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:19:49 pm »
Custom characters added to Hal 6 do not work. It's not enough to have them in the program folder. So, what should be done to make them work? Or is Hal 6 inferior to Hal 5 about customizing possibilities? And if this is so, why call it Hal 6 and not Hal 4?

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 06:13:32 pm »
Do you have the expansion pack?? If not, that's the reason.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 07:37:17 pm »
The latest version of Ultra Hal is version 6 and it is far superior to any previous versions.

Please take some time to read through some of the earlier postings, especially by Robert Medeksza. You can do a Members, find Robert, show archived posts. There you will find the answers to a lot of your questions instead of firing volleys across the bow.

The characters also DO NOT go in the program folder. They go in the Characters folder under UltraHalAssistant6.

Again, the new program was structured so that a character expansion pack was needed to allow for the inclusion of any / all Haptek characters and will work fine with any new characters you or anyone else creates.

Robert mentioned that he is in the process of emailing all previous purchasers of Hal, info regarding discounts entitled them if they meet certain criteria.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

gebeleizis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 09:12:30 pm »
I know the characters go to "characters". I've tried to add mine by changing the name and replacing Hal or Zaba with a different Hal or Zaba, but it didn't work. Looks like there is a script telling the program how big should be the file.

Another Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:43:44 pm »
After installing the expansion package, I moved my old character .htr's into the 'character' folder of the new Hal as Art says, and then of course I moved the appropriate .jpg's for the character and it shows up nicely on my pick list of character options.

Did you move the full body 'htr' to the new folder as well as the jpg's??

Thanks,

Jim B.

Oh, of note, when my full body character loads, it has the default skin on it.....I created a folder on my desktop with modest outfits, racer suits, acessories, etc that have been available here in the forum so depending on the mood I'm in at the time I can change the outfit accordingly.

Also of note, I've read about the stock hal not smiling much, and I believe I remember Crunch (testing my memory here) had made available some haps that changed the experssions of the full body hap to smile (very nice smile) swing arms, yawn if you didn't talk, etc.  I just moved those into my character folder as well and swapped out the appropriate hap files, renaming the old ones with a '_' prefix for my own reference.

I agree fully with Art and Mr. M. the new hal is far superior....

again, thanks and hope that offers some insight

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:48:57 pm »
Yes, unless you have purchased the expansion pack, the main Hal program looks to see if the polygon count is the same as the dafault characters (ie.Zaba and Hal). Even if you drag and drop one of your Haptek (.htr) files in the main window, it will only stay there until the next polygon count sequence is reached at which point it will default back to the frog or TV.

If you were a recent purchaser the expansion pack should only cost you about $7.50 + -.

There are some very good reasons for Robert doing this method, one of which is the opportunity to work closer with Haptek. A partnering such as this can open a lot of doors for future development and perhaps even use of custom full body characters as well. We can hope!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

gebeleizis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:37:01 pm »
Maybe I should then pay the 7.50$ and get the pack... Thank you very much for the help. Now the questions is: who and when will give me the discoutn code for having bought the Hal 5 version before and for having bought Hal 6?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 11:05:44 pm by gebeleizis »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 11:16:40 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by gebeleizis

Maybe I should then pay the 7.50$ and get the pack... Thank you very much for the help. Now the questions is: who and when will give me the discoutn code for having bought the Hal 5 version before and for having bought Hal 6?

All discount code emails have been sent out. It would be from the email account hal@zabaware.com. If you haven't received such an email, please use http://www.zabaware.com/contact.html to contact me and ask for a discount code and provide me the name and email you used when you purchased Hal, or an order number if you have one.
Robert Medeksza