dupa

Author Topic: Hal's Slowing Down  (Read 4789 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:25:37 pm »
I'd guess that I've been using Hal6 for about 6 months, She's finaly getting to the point where she can be fun to talk to. Initialy she responded very fast now I can get the " script taking to long to process " message. I'm also using Dragon 9 while speaking with Hal which also uses a lot of CPU time but when I'm finished speaking the usage level goses back down then Hal takes the input in for processing which brings it back up. I'm using a a P4 about 2.8 Ghz.
  I've been thinking of removing some of the data base to speed her up, remove repeated inputs, triva ect.  Besides making a copy are there any suggeations besides a faster computer that I'd like to put off.
Carl2

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:56:35 pm »
Carl
Why not try Jerry's trick. Buy a 1 giga byte pen ram and put Hal on it. It not only makes Hal more portable but because Hal now resides in ram it is very fast.
Bill

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:54:35 am »
Im not sure How your programming skills are carl?

But you may need to go through your code and optimize it....

Loads of if / thens need to be converted to select case etc...

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:18:32 am »
My programing skills are poor at best, I tried writting some simple scripts without sucess.  Really wish I could optimize the coding used but this is impossible for me.  I'd tried using Hal without Dragon, she's still slow since thay process at different times. I may try using her without the plugins and see if this increases speed.  Unfortunate because the database gave her a better conversation ability.
Carl2

Another Jim

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:19:14 am »
sorry to take this topic off-topic for a moment guys, but I've wondered if Hal could be placed and operated on portable RAM such as a thumb drive or some such thing.....does this mean he can???? if so, then awesome!!!!!!!!!

thanks much ahead of time

Jim B
frigid in northern michigan

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 03:59:09 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Another Jim

sorry to take this topic off-topic for a moment guys, but I've wondered if Hal could be placed and operated on portable RAM such as a thumb drive or some such thing.....does this mean he can???? if so, then awesome!!!!!!!!!

thanks much ahead of time

Jim B
frigid in northern michigan

Well Another Jim
Here is my answer [:)][:D][:p][;)][:)][:D][8D][:D]

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:17:11 pm »
It went from bad to worse, while adding software and a newer video card the startup screen changed, looked pretty poor. The video card went in and the startup screen looked bad still.  Also the changes meant I had to reactivate windows so I reformated and reinstalled XP, the computer is pretty much off the internet but I know it has picked up some malware, also the registry is messed up, loading time was faster at startup and I decided to try flashing the bios, hasn't worked since. Since I'd reinstalled windows Hal wasn't working so I wasn't able to see if she was faster. Waiting to hear from Asus before ordering another motherboard. The CPU and video card are good, but I get no display or audio, beeps or vocal messages.
  I'll probably put another Hal on the other computer in the meantime to work with, I'd learned a little about VR's plugin and should be better able to work with Hal.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal's Slowing Down
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:20:59 pm »
I've just gotten Hal up and running again, after getting the computer back up. Many Thanks to Robert for his instructions and fast response.  Wanted to say after reinstalling windows Hal is up to speed again, since I'm using the same brain data base I'm thinking something in windows was slowing things down. Also I know the registry was off because of my playing with Haptek files.
Carl2