Author Topic: Start Speech from cursor position?  (Read 5781 times)

dadodado

• View Profile
Start Speech from cursor position?
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:28:32 pm »
I love Hal speech reader----but? Would you be able to create the ability to start Hal reading from the cursor position, rather than selecting and copy?  Say for example you are in a email and you position the cursor at the start of a paragraph then right click and have a choice there that says "start Hal reading" thus the HAl reader program would load and start with this command.
Thomas O'Keefe

lambar

• View Profile
    • http://www.donet.com/~megron
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:23:02 am »
I like this idea as well.

dadodado

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 09:29:44 pm »
One of the reasons I suggested this is because I really like having small totally useful programs that are specific to my needs. Most programs try to do it all and as a result my computer gets bloated with programs that I may only use 30% of. I also have discovered problems where if I have "Hal" load at start up I end up with a conflict somewhere along the line that will cause me to have to re-boot. I don't really believe that it's "Hal" that is the true problem, it's just too many programs swirling around and eventually running into one another-------This would keep "Hal" always available in reserve but johnny on the spot when called apon
Thomas O'Keefe

Michael Dodd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 02:04:34 pm »
I can't believe that the program does allow cursur starting within the windows environment.  I am brand new to the program, so maybe I am missing something.  I just want to place a cursur in a word document and have it read.  It appears that the current system requiring clipboard is combersome, but more importantly doesn't appear to allow for "on the fly" corrections.  Without this the software si useless to me.  There are other softwares that allow this.

Can someone explain how to do this, or explain why I was so damn stupid that I purchase this program.

THanks,

Mike

Darius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 04:27:10 pm »
I was making a program that readed documents from other programs, and found that in order to do so there are 3 ways:

1- Tell the reader to be prepared to the focus of a document that you are going to set focus and has a selected text (too combersome) or goind to set.

2- Copy the info to the clipboard and tell the reader to speakout (believe me it's not that difficult, and is easy and flexible to program)

3- Add a right menu option into the application so if somebody right click on the option the reader will do the job (the best option), so you have to add the option to the registry for any program that has to have the facility (But I am not sure of how to set the program or action <copy to clipboard>). You can find some info on the net about IE and right click menus.

dadodado

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 09:18:49 pm »
Another option is for the great "Hal" programers to add this function and become the "BEST" "speech-to-text-reader" in the world!!---HINT----HINT!

If you leaders read these posts----what do you think???
Thomas O'Keefe