Author Topic: Help with Speech Recognition  (Read 4860 times)

Erika

• View Profile
Help with Speech Recognition
« on: May 05, 2008, 02:40:23 am »
Hi there.

I'm trying to use the SR engine from the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 - however, anytime I try to use anything that uses SR, my microphone goes mute - software wise, I mean, the physical switch on the microphone volume control stays on, but the sound in Windows goes mute.

But, the engine itself works - if I start something with SR (say, the recognition training, or even HAL with the microphone on), open Volume Control and raise the microphone's volume, it will work, in a sense - albeit, the next time I use something with SR it'll mute the Microphone channel again.

I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition if that makes any difference.

I know it's not the microphone, because I've used it for other things (ventrilo, messing around in Sound Recorder to test the microphone..) and they worked fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ramccoid

• View Profile
    • http://www.visualillustrations.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:37:14 am »
Hi Erika,
Have you tried updating your sound card drivers? I use to have problems with the microphone on XP when using out of date drivers.

Roy.

Erika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:08:09 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ramccoid

Hi Erika,
Have you tried updating your sound card drivers? I use to have problems with the microphone on XP when using out of date drivers.

Roy.

Hmm. I'll give that a try.

UPDATE: No dice. Anyone else have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:08:13 am by Erika »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:04:18 pm »
Try a double click on your volume icon (taskbar lower right) and notice the slider / mute settings as you run your SR program(s).

Are you also using SP-1 with XP?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Erika

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:19:48 pm »
I've done that - I've watched the volume slider for the mic channel go all the way down just as I've started a SR program.

And yes: I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2.

EDIT: Uh. Could this be an issue? When I go into the Volume Control and change it to Recording Control, the 'Stereo Mix' channel is selected as the channel, and there's no way for me to change it to anything else - clicking the 'select' box beneath another channel has no affect.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:30:00 pm by Erika »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:52 pm »
Erika,
  I'm using dragon as voice reconition, XP pro on a P4.  Double clicking on the volume brings up the Volume controls, Options, properties allows me to choose Playback or recording, choosing recording allows me to check which items to display, clicking OK brings up the recording control,  I use Line in instead of Mic and it has been selected.  Dragon will automaticaly mute this input whenever it is started, to be able to hear my input I have to unmute it after Dragon has started by bring up the volume control and unchecking the muting.  
Carl2