Author Topic: improper shutdown error that the free version  (Read 5290 times)

G0th52

• View Profile
improper shutdown error that the free version
« on: September 22, 2002, 05:28:29 pm »
of ultra hal asst. initiates is showing up everytime i start my computer by hard boot. doesn't seem to cause any problems and i continue to choose no for
reconfiguration of the general options. is anyone else experiencing this glitch
and, if so, have you been able to find a cure? no improper shutdowns are actually taking place.

Pretender
Pretender

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 06:43:59 pm »
The first thing we need to determine is if this problem is caused by Hal or by Windows shutdown sequence. In order to find out, close Hal manually by right clicking on Hal's icon and click on "Exit Hal" Now run Hal again by finding Hal in your start menu. If the error does not appear now then it must be a problem in the way Windows shuts down Hal.

If you are using Windows 98 you should disable a feature called fast shutdown. Fast shutdown will force close any program that takes more then a couple seconds to shut down properly. Although it does not damage Hal, it will cause Hal to produce that improper shutdown message. This fast shutdown "feature" does not exist in Windows 95, NT, 2000, or XP.  Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q187607& to find how to disable this feature in Windows 98.

Robert Medeksza
Robert Medeksza

G0th52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 05:38:54 pm »
I'm using windows ME. I have hal's general setup to start hal as a regular program so when I start my computer the icon doesn't show up in system tray. I access hal via start menu or shortcut icon on desktop and have always exited the hal program before shutting down the computer. Does this shed any light on why this error keeps appearing every time I start the computer with hard boot?

Pretender
Pretender

G0th52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 05:37:43 pm »
Strange. I just started my computer and the error didn't come up. I didn't do anything. Probably one of those "knock on wood" happenings.

Pretender
Pretender

G0th52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 08:00:04 pm »
Murphy's law. I did a restart and the error message showed up again.

Pretender
Pretender

Crichton

• View Profile
    • http://home.gwi.net/~rlevasseur/
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 05:16:11 am »
quote:
Originally posted by G0th52

of ultra hal asst. initiates is showing up everytime i start my computer by hard boot. doesn't seem to cause any problems and i continue to choose no for
reconfiguration of the general options. is anyone else experiencing this glitch
and, if so, have you been able to find a cure? no improper shutdowns are actually taking place.

Pretender

--------------------------------------------------------
Your friend, in Tormented Space,
Richard LeVasseur,
mailto:rlevasseur@prexar.com

Crichton

• View Profile
    • http://home.gwi.net/~rlevasseur/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 06:36:30 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by G0th52

Strange. I just started my computer and the error didn't come up. I didn't do anything. Probably one of those "knock on wood" happenings.

Pretender

OK, now that is weird.  My copy just did the same thing.  But I rebooted and everything is fine.  I only noticed a couple of bugs.  When I tell Hal about a new phone number, and then ask him for the number, he seems to have no idea what I'm talking about.  He just repeats what I say.  If I close hal, and reopen him, then he remembers the phone number.

Will this be fixed in the new version?  I just wanted you to know the errors you are having is not only your copy.
Your friend, in Tormented Space,
Richard LeVasseur,
mailto:rlevasseur@prexar.com