Author Topic: Lag  (Read 4015 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lag
« on: June 01, 2018, 12:08:12 am »
To help clear the air about the issue of Lag or Delay in receiving a response while using Doonycram or SpitFire2600's Plugins I emailed Robert Medeksza.

The good news is that there is/was nothing wrong with either Plugin at all. They both work fine and they also work together without incident, at least during my testing.

Part of Robert's response I will share here:

"Yes, the size of Hal's HalBrain.db does indeed have an effect on the speed of Hal's responses. The larger the database file gets, the slower Hal will become. This seems to affect Hal's biggest long-term power users that have large halbrain.db after many years of learning. There is no hard line of when Hal becomes slow, it depends partially on your CPU, but mostly creeps up on you as the brain size grows."

I just have to wonder how much more effective Hal's program speed might be or how much shorter the Lag time might be if one was using SSD's in their computers.
In fact, is anyone currently using Windows 10 with plenty of memory AND an SSD? If so, are you using either Plugin and if so have you noticed any Lag/Delay?

Just trying to toss this issue about a bit and to also let the Plugin authors know that their code is fine!!
Thanks!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Lag
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:13:44 pm »
I to would like to know these same answers art is asking others with ssd drives or faster computers , otherwise i still think if a large list linked plugin that accesses subject matter , could be developed where hal would access web pages , wiki links , etc. etc.  and retrieve more answers then hal could maybe slow down the size of the brain a bit  but still yet answer intelligently.  basically working like a ALEXA WITHOUT ALL THE SPYING. 

doonycram@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:56 am »
I have a nvidia geforce  card and the best computer processor so I don't get lags from anything but I am working on an alexa type webscrapper.

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 04:07:12 am »
Processor speed is the most important factor. 4+ Ghz is recommended. DDR4 RAM if you got it and an SSD all work to improve the speed of Hal.

My plugins are thousands of lines of code with dozens of functions all which increase hals DB size, therefore taking longer.

I am working with an overclocked i7 (4.7 ghz) ddr4 ssd system. I experience very negligible lag.

-Spitfire2600

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:51:00 pm »
spitfire2600 you wouldn't have an extra overclocked i7 (4.7 ghz) ddr4 ssd system. laying around anywhere would you lol !

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:59:52 pm »
I wish lol

I pump most of my cash into my computers. Although, I will say parts this year are significantly more expensive than last for some reason.

- Spitfire2600

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:17:39 am »
Not sure if you or anyone else know of this place but I have used them as a guide for a great many years.
http://pricewatch.com/
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -