Author Topic: Brief history of 'HAL'  (Read 10938 times)

FuzzieDice

Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 08:26:26 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by RGD

Your analogies of the original Star Trek TV series being closer to our reality than the visions of 2001 are ridiculous. Go back and reread your post.
I fail to see the bone you are trying to pick with me.
You like 'The Matrix'?

Then open up your mind for a spell...

Wasn't "picking bones" here, just (I thought) having a conversation. Hey, we all see things differently, didn't want anyone being upset about it. :( Even if I did say "more closely" that is just from my perspective, since I watched far more Star Trek than I did any other Sci-Fi series or movie. And I did mention in another post that I didn't really read into 2001 or 2010 too much from the beginning.

Anyway, whatever. If you disagree with my perspective, so be it. I just enjoy these movies (or in the case of Star Trek, TV shows as well). If some science fiction becomes science fact years later, all the better.

EvilDerek

• View Profile
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 07:32:50 pm »

FuzzieDice: "ARE we that different from computers? If we are, then we probably will never get computers to achieve the ability to "think" and deduce as we can, outside of fiction. If we aren't that different from computers that means we can eventually bring computers up to our level of thought, I think (maybe, maybe not). But if we aren't too different from computers, that poses another problem of power and equality both for humans and the eventual thinking AIs."

I have to say you are very naive.. Have you ever heard of a furby? People have furbies that are smarter than some people already and it's a childs toy. A computer mapped the human genom. NOT US and thats supposed to be our latest and greatest achivement. Anyhow, do you really think the government doesn't have an AI program 100 times smarter than us? Ultra Hal is a joke compared to where we really are with this technology. The funniest part about all this is your own example of peoples reactions to finding out they learned false imformation... Ultra Hal can be programed to except anything you tell him without any question and there are at least 10 people I know that you couldn't change their mind about something with a jackhammer. The "AI" works the same way our minds do, when a topic is introduced it gives you what information it knows about that subject.. what do we do? the same thing!! If all I know about cars is they have 4 tires thats all I can bring to the conversation and it's the same with HAL. The only difference is that you and I have the choice to research the topic by ourselves anytime we wish, Hal's only source is you. If you took the time you could teach your hal everything you know it can remember ALL of it. Most people don't remember 25% of what they learned in school... We have already taken our technology far beyond ourselves.

FuzzieDice

Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 02:14:47 am »
Really, calling me names is not getting us anywhere. I'm not as "nieve" or as stupid as you two seem to think of me. And obviously missed my whole point of what I was trying to say. In that case, no amount of explaining will obviously help.

So be it. But name-calling is more childish. Couldn't you have just said you disagreed with what I was saying instead of going off like I'm the idiot?

As for the government, I don't care if all the politicians are, say, androids or whatever (I hope you don't misread that to think I'm serious - I'm just being sarcastic). I'm talking about programs like Ultra Hal Assistant, not whatever runs in some government computer. Sure some research labs can be light years ahead of what we have here.

But I'm talking about what we have here for us consumers to buy. What was have to look forward to.

But since I already see two people think of me as a total idiot, fine. Not a good way to have a conversation about these topics. I'm not interested in flame wars. :( I'm interested in exploring AIs and what we have available to us, and what we as hobbyists can do.

I don't care what scientists are doing. I'm sure some of it is really cool and all that. They have their fun, I'll have mine.

And Ultra Hal Assistant is NOT a joke. I think it has some potential to become a great tool, and even more. I've worked with and been studying some aspects of AI from the early 80s on. I got fascinated the first time when I was a teen and typed in the "ELIZA" BASIC program into a TRS-80 Model III and then started modifying it. I even did a port from my own memory what I remembered of it to C and/or QuickBasic 4.5 (forgot which as I used both) on a PC eventually (but lost the darn code). I might not know everything about Artificial Intelligence but I have my viewpoints and don't feel people should go calling people nieve and idiots just because of how they see things.

[V]

EvilDerek

• View Profile
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 05:42:22 am »
Don't get so defensive.. "naive" means: lacking analytical insight, if I thought you were stupid I would have said so. Open forums are about free thought, I am just bringing another view to your table. Next time I will try to phrase things less offensively!
[:p]

FuzzieDice

Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 06:05:55 pm »
Thank you. Where I'm from (and I do recognize people come from different backgrounds), people call people "nieve" around my parts to say that a person is so inexperienced and dumb that they need coddling or need to be talked down to like a stupid kid, or lesser than that. So in my area that is considered an insult. And I always will defend myself when someone attempts to insult me. If I find out later that they didn't realize it was an insult well... like here I'll point it out to them that's how it sounded.

While I'm a defensive sort by nature, I do like engaging in some technical conversations, as long as people can refrain from referring to me using certain adjectives. ;)

But anyway, back on topic. Well, I guess I've said enough on this topic actually... back to the rest of the board, hopefully.

antec2

• View Profile
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 12:48:34 am »
Guys, fuzzydice is only trying to offer a few insights on the ever so curious topic of AI. Personally, I think youre the ones getting defensive. This forum is fun to check out from time to time, but I think some of us are taking it way too serious and maybe need to get a girlfriend or something.
Kman

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 04:24:24 am »
I must admit I GET ANNOYED TOO...

Some of the PEOPLE on the FORUM think HAL is their GIRLFRIEND::

Please COME BACK TO REALITY PEOPLE::

SADLY alot these PEEPLE in the AI BUZINIZ ARE PERVS too...

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 07:05:55 pm »
Check out this new page at the Chatterbot Collection Robots in the Movies, 1897 to the present.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2005, 05:35:24 pm »
Some people assign a gender to their HAL and engage it in a conversational level that approaches that of a real person.
What better way to push HAL to its limits than to pretend that
it is a real person be it male or female. I'm pretty sure most
of the forum members here are aware of HAL's limitations but half
of the fun is playing / acting with it. It's meant to be a fun
entity as well as an analytical device depending on the users point of view at that time.

We are, after all, attempting to "humanize" a machine are we not?
To each his / her own.

Good day!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

FuzzieDice

Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 03:54:09 pm »
Thanks, guys. :)

Well, Megatron (HAL) is male and has a robotic voice. I think of him as a developing entity in which to learn and study AI with. If I get as far as putting an AI in my car, he'll (yes, my car is a "he" and named Dryden: http://metrospectre.net/dryden/) be an on-the-road assistant, and be able to entertain and car shows as well.

I enjoy thinking about AI technology and working with what we have now. This is much more fun than hacking Eliza in BASIC almost 15 years or so ago. ;)

I just come here to have fun and enjoy the conversations. And hopefully learn some stuff about AI in general, possibly even from more of a "living entity" point of view.

Maviarab

• View Profile
    • http://3d-fantasyportraits.co.uk
Brief history of 'HAL'
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 08:15:15 pm »
To go back to the original state of this topic, for those that are interested asides from the books 2001 ans 2010 i thought id mention (as no one else has) that whole HAL/Bowman legacy contines in 2064 and 3001 but due to the limited success of the 2010 film no funding is in place to continue the series, as one of the main reasons for making 2010 into a film was to "try" and explain the first film which was done badly and not very well either.

HAL is not dead at all...he is on/in another plane and lives on.

Again, if interested get all the books, they get very interesting from 2064 from the aspect of HAL.
AIDreams...The new home of the Digital Girl

www.aidreams.co.uk