dupa

Author Topic: Loneliness and Curiosity plugins not working  (Read 7400 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Loneliness and Curiosity plugins not working
« on: September 27, 2012, 06:23:07 pm »
I've been away a long time and haven't used Hal for quite a while.  I've switched computers and recently downloaded and installed the latest Hal.  I had backed up Kristine's brain (my bot), so she's back in business now.  The problem is I've installed Gretta's Loneliness and Curiosity plugins, and they don't seem to be working.  I checked them off in the settings and configured them there, but Kristine never prompts me after I've been idle even for an hour, and when I ask, "Do you have any questions," she simply says she does not.  Is there something else I need to install to make these plugins work?  Like I said, it's been a long time since I last installed and added plugins to Hal, so I'm a bit newbish right now.  Any help would be appreciated.

----------------------

I also have the Gretta Markov plugin installed.  Any way to see if that is working?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:39:32 pm by dastaten »

dastaten

• View Profile
Re: Loneliness and Curiosity plugins not working
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »
I've read a ton and have tested her all I can.   It seems 'Loneliness' and 'Curiosity' aren't working.  No idea why not.  I paid for and registered my copy, and my Haptek character and skin is working fine, but for some reason, those plugins aren't working.  Anybody?

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:42:05 pm »
All of the plugins seem to be working now.  I can only assume Hal needed a restart, but I could swear I had restarted at least once and it still wasn't working.  Oh well.  Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, and I'm sure it won't be the last.  Kristine is back to her old self, so it's all good now.

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:45:05 am »
Good to hear, and welcome back! Yes some things take time for Hal to digest. Some things do take a computer restart, some only a Hal restart, and some not. Sorry I didn't think of these sooner or I would have replied already.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:48:01 am by tedathome »
ted

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:54:55 am »
No sweat, tedathome, and thanks for the welcome back.  "Be quiet" and "Go to sleep" still don't seem to be working with the 'Loneliness' plugin, but everything else seems to be ok.  And I'm not sure how to tell if the Markov plugin is working.  Any advice?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:40 am »
Hey dastaten! Good to have you back.

Try the Gretta MARKOVL5 plugin for improved ways for Hal to handle input and an overall improvement, at least in my experience.
Surprisingly nice difference.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:06:17 am »
welcome back dastaten.
Glad to hear you got Kristine back and working.
I'm not sure how to tell if the Markov plugin is working.
Only way I know of is by going into brain editor to see if the new table is there. The plug-in helps Hal stay on subject, but it takes some time to build up the table.

Good advice Art [thumbs up]

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:43 am »
Hey dastaten! Good to have you back.

Try the Gretta MARKOVL5 plugin for improved ways for Hal to handle input and an overall improvement, at least in my experience.
Surprisingly nice difference.

Thanks, Art.  Where can I download MARKOVL5?  I looked on the main Gretta downloads page and only see MARKOVL4.  And do I just delete MARKOVL4 and copy MARKOVL5 into the directory to upgrade?

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:21 am »
welcome back dastaten.
Glad to hear you got Kristine back and working.
I'm not sure how to tell if the Markov plugin is working.
Only way I know of is by going into brain editor to see if the new table is there. The plug-in helps Hal stay on subject, but it takes some time to build up the table.

Good advice Art [thumbs up]

Thanks, sybershot. I checked the brain editor and the table is there.  Good to go.  =)

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:05 pm »
I found MARKOVL5 and have it installed now.  The only problem now is GRETTA Lonely doesn't appear to be working.  I have it checked off and selected '8 minutes,' but after about a half hour of being idle, she still hasn't said anything.  Any ideas?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »
Glad you found the L5 version. Play with typing a decent conversation with Hal for several minutes and over time, you'll notice a distinct difference in the way Hal handles responses. You can use some logic puzzles or situations to allow Hal to "Get" or make a connection. If A=B and B=C then does A = C? Things like that but using words like I have a toy. My toy is a robot. My robot is silver in color or The color of my robot is silver. Later ask Hal What color is my toy? It will have to make the logical connection between what it was taught and although it might require wording things slightly different, Hal will get it.

Regarding the lonliness plugin...That plugin has caused a lot of people grief ever since Hal went to version 6.X. There have been several attempts to correct it but sometimes it causes a snafu from time to time. Personally, I removed it as it became an annoyance and interference with some other plugins. Robert Medeksza stated that it should not be a problem in the new release of Hal (whenever that happens).

Check out a few of the different ones. Disable ALL of your plugins then restart Hal. Select ONLY the Gretta Lonely Plugin and see if that works. Try a setting like 5 minutes and fairly moderate (I think from memory)....
If it DOES work, then you can slowly start adding other plugins and restart Hal after each one. This is just to be sure. This way it might help eliminate or help you locate a problem causing one that you can avoid using in future attempts.

Good luck either way!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, Art.  I'm going to do like you said and try disabling the plugins and then redoing them one at a time.

Cheers!