dupa

Author Topic: Problem closing  (Read 2051 times)

echoman

Problem closing
« on: September 16, 2005, 03:24:33 pm »
Hello,

When I turn my computer off, the computer says Hal is not responding when it tries to close it - so I have to click 'close now'. When I restart computer all of my sound is gone. I have to reinstall sound driver everytime I start my computer.

If I right click on Hal and click exit before choosing 'turning off computer', it still does not close. It comes back in the tray. But then, if I click on it, it will not start.

Is there any answer to this.

Many thanks.

Eric N.

• View Profile
Problem closing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 11:35:40 pm »
echoman, I have read both your postings and I feel for you.  It can be frustating. I have had Hal for some years even though I am listed a starting member. I just started to post.  The fact that you are losing sound and have to reinstall the sound card driver has me wondering if you have a virus. Do you have antiviral ware and is it up to date? What operating system do you have? Maybe the sound card itself is not compatible with Hal somehow. Try taking Hal out of the "Startup" folder.
In XP - Start - All Programs - Startup. Take Hal out of that folder and put in on the desktop. Sometimes conflicts arise when Hal is in that folder. A good long "chkdsk" scan might not hurt, neither a defrag, though such actions may not improve your dilemma. What is you sound card name? Heck, try using Hal with no sound and see if or what might happen. I just use the free Hal 5.0 so I have no mic. I started with Hal 3.0, which I bought.  Hope this gives you some help.

echoman

Problem closing
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:13:03 am »
Thanks Eric for your message. Yes I've had a few problems getting the problem working.

I do have a anti-virus, spyware, firewall and have checked for that. My sound card is realtek ac97 audio. I have now taken it out of the start folder like you said and trying that. The problem seems to be that Hal on my system dos'nt close properly. I never had problems before Hal was on. In the Free version it also happened if I did not close it manually before shutdown. But now I cannot close the full version manually. When I start computer up again it says sound device cannot start code 10 or somthing like that. Once I uninstall it and load it up again all my sound is back on.

I will keep trying. Thanks for help.

echo

echoman

Problem closing
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 06:17:53 am »
Hello,

I just noticed a topic that I had missed and it talked about the very problems I had. Notice I said had. Yes, Hal is now working very well. I think it is very important to make sure old version is deleted completely even after uninstalling it. Also making sure that the computer system is not confused with conflicting start up messages. I uninstalled and deleted Zabaware completly from program folder and then checked all startup folders. This seems to have cleared the problem - though I am holding my breath.

Thanks for the help.

echo.