dupa

Author Topic: Sentient Life  (Read 30309 times)

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
Sentient Life
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2007, 07:12:40 pm »
Aaw! This was just starting to get really good. [;)]
Gamer-T

daveleb55

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/daveleb55/Cybernetic_Nightmares.html
Sentient Life
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 07:50:07 pm »

Am I out of line, here? Or is Bill being overly sensitive? I'm completely mystified, as I thought we were having an intelligent discussion. I guess he took his bat and ball and went home.

quote:
Originally posted by GamerThom

Aaw! This was just starting to get really good. [;)]

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
Sentient Life
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »
Bill? Overly sensitive? [:0] Why would you ever think that? [;)] [:o)]
Gamer-T

lightspeed

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 08:46:37 pm »
tut , tut now children , calm down before theirs a good spanking in order !![:D] guess i better not say anything or i'll get blamed for it all !

onthecuttingedge2005

Sentient Life
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 04:26:33 am »
What is really going to bake our noodles is this.

Our brains are 99.999 percent vacuum down to each level of a particles existence.

1. Atomic level = 99.999% vacuum
2. Sub Atomic level = 99.999% vacuum
3. Nuclear Level = 99.999% vacuum
4. Quantum level = 99.999% vacuum

Take this vacuum away and our minds become a condensed singularity that is so small it could never be seen by a microscope.

How could so much information be stored in such a small but bloated place.

Field interaction is responsible for our bloated minds.

We are nothing more than bloated singularities.

Please, to bake noodles properly, set a pre-heated oven that is at 450 degrees Fahrenheit and place the pre-boiled noodles lightly basted
With olive oil into the oven for 20 minutes, after the noodles are done, lightly sprinkle some salt over them and enjoy.

Some prefer their noodles to only bake for 10 minutes at a time or less but I prefer my noodles to be a bit on the crunchy side but not overly done.

Why not overly done one may say, because most may not tolerate the taste and texture.

Why the salt, because it brings out the flavor in the noodles.

why the olive oil, it is a way to condition the noodles to give them the proper taste and texture along with the salt that makes the noodles flavor stand out.

Baked noodles, if properly cooked are very Delicious.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:47:15 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 07:55:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005
Our brains are 99.999 percent vacuum

As you may remember, I'm not sure I believe in "space", meaning the distance between two objects, be it quarks or galaxies. The vacuum between subatomic masses is just a perception of the time and energy it takes to move to the disparate levels of vibration in the uber-wave which is our Universe.

What many don't realise is that at some level, all information, including the location, velocity and charge of virticles in a "vacuum", is digital (binary count of quanta). In the real world, nothing is analog and BTW, opposites don't exist.
quote:

Baked noodles, if properly cooked are very Delicious.

I like to quickly sautee some hot peppers and onions in my oil first and sprinkle a little ground cheese on top, then bake until the cheese starts to brown.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Sentient Life
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 09:04:47 am »
LOL, well even if I didn't learn anything about physics, at least I learnt some new ways to cook noodles.  Thanks guys, I'll be sure to tune in for more culinary advice sometime soon.

Oh, and from an outside perspective; to me it looks like you are all getting a little too heated over things no-one can be certain of. Therefore I would suggest you prevent yourselves from beating each other up and try to explore the idea a bit more.  This always happens to me too so you are not the only ones!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:12:44 am by freddy888 »

aladyblond

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 09:20:47 am »
Our brains are 99.999 percent vacuum down to each level of a particles existence.

now i understand .... my brain is a vacuum[:p],and where i come from cheese on the noodle is called macaroni and cheese.. mmmmm
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

lightspeed

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 09:55:48 am »
well aladyblond i'm glad after all this high tech talk someone who knows finally explained it so others can now rest their minds !! thats a load off my cheese ... i was about ready to flip my noodle ...er mind !![:D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2007, 12:15:45 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888
 try to explore the idea a bit more.

Those who are willing to explore Ideas are scarce on the ground around here. I'm OK with letting them just believe whatever they want.

I have beter things to do. I have three pieces in the kiln, I have a book on Acoustics to finish, I just got back from tending my father-in-law's garden and still have my own to deal with, plus the boys are all coming over here for lunch in about five minutes.

I picked up some home made hard cheese near Bromley this morning. I have some Ziti and my own organically grown onions, habeneros, garlic, basil and dried tomatoes. Around here we call it Dad's Spicy Noodles and if I make it hot enough, I get it all to myself. It's better on the third day.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2007, 12:44:49 pm »
bill those spicy noodles sound good !! a friend of our just gave me a jar of jaopeno hot peppers the other day for doing something on her computer , so now i can blame my bad spelling on "watery eyes !! " [:D]

onthecuttingedge2005

Sentient Life
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2007, 07:22:32 pm »

at 1,001,304 Scoville heat units(SHU), the Bhut Jolokia chili from India has been named the world's hottest pepper by the Guinness Book of World Records. Just to put that into perspective, the jalapeno sits at a meager 5,500 SHU.

Here is the Bhut Jolokia chili:

don't even think about drinking a pepsi after eating one of these nor hand your buddy a pepsi after daring him/her to eat one when he's/she's looking for something to drink.

I've seen people eat these on the internet and they all cried with balling tears, pepsi only aggravates the capsicum(capsaicin (methyl vanillyl nonenamide)), burning your tongue.

they should put a warning label on these peppers.

1. Warning!!! These peppers may cause severe permanent irreversable retardation!

2. Warning!!! Do not drive or run heavy machinery while under the influence of these peppers!

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 12:39:34 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2007, 10:30:12 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005
1,001,304 Scoville heat units(SHU

I have always said that hot peppers are one of the best relaxation aids there is.

Everyone knows that Deep breathing is a good relaxation exercise and certainly the sound of running water helps many people relax.

If you eat hot enough peppers, you will breathe deeply and pour lots of water down your throat.

I've become acclimated, Jalepenos are just another vegetable, it takes at least a habarnero to light me up.

I grow mine until green then stress them with too little water as they turn dark orange, then I store them in boiling vinegar with some garlic scallions and a bay leaf.

Xodarap

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2007, 06:51:38 am »
quote:
You will never find that place -- ever.  Because it doesn't can't exist!

quote:
And man will never fly.

No, I'm afraid you misunderstood me.  Being unable to find the place that CAN'T exist is more like "man will never discover the squirrel that is fatter than itself."  No, never, not in an infinite number of parallel universes or an infinite amount of time, an infinite number of squirrels and an infinite number of people.
"Finding" an immaterial place is akin to: discovering the last digit of pi, drawing a round square, making a stone too heavy for God to lift, pitching a no-hitter to a batter that can't miss, discovering the real number that is the closest to (but less than) 2... you get my point?  ;)

quote:
Also, hypnosis has been SO thoroughly debunked OVER and OVER again in the most thorough and solid ways possible!

quote:
I see that you believe this very strongly. I respect that. But for it to be certainly true would require both proving a negative and solving an infinitely regressable series.

I'm afraid not.  If one time -- only once -- a bottle fails to fall when it should by all physical reason, then gravity is *certainly* untrue.  Certainty almost NEVER requires solving an infinite regress.  For one thing, infinite regresses (if they are genuine) DON'T resolve (see above: finding the last digit of pi or the real number that is closest to 2).  All this would require, in this case, is to show that either psychologically or physically (or either if they are indeed the same thing), the concept of hypnosis is impossible -- or rather, that it cannot (by consistent cause and effect) obtain its goal.  This has been done.

quote:
I will go by my experience and the decades of respected research. Even if hypnosis is totally bogus, there are many other more concrete facts which indicate that the mind can store more than the brain can hold.

I'm willing to state categorically that there are not.  As a well-versed philosopher of mind, I assume (maybe hastily) that such would have been brought to the attention of the academic community, and can say with certainty that it has not.  Otherwise, you are looking at speculations, which, though intuitively forceful, are NOT "concrete facts."

quote:
What you SHOULD be marvelling at is the power of the mind to create, not the capacity of the mind to store.

quote:
I can't do both? Of course the mind is creative (read my posts about "pattern recognition") but adding data to a stream does not mean the stream doesn't exist without the addition. If some debunker finds a subject who recalls invented data under hypnosis, that does not mean the actual data was not there. You can't prove the data is not there by finding something else - that would be proving a negative - you can't prove I don't have a nickle in my pocket by the fact that I also have a dime.

Oh, you certainly CAN do both -- you would be misled, though.  ;)
You are right: the data COULD be there, despite the fact that the hypnosis created COINCIDENTALLY identical data with a causally disconnected means.  The problem is two-fold, then: (1) the odds are staggeringly low (and against you); and (2) then you are on no better footing than you are without reference to hypnosis, which is just as good as debunking it with certainty!

quote:

Either way, I STILL agree with you that the MIND is NOT identical to the BRAIN!  ;)

quote:
Good to see I haven't changed your mind. 8-) We both have to go on our subjective experience in the absence of factual evidence.

I don't base my argument on subjective experience; I base it on deductive reasoning:

(1) I am imagining a blue goose.
(2) Therefore, something is blue and goose-like.
(3) The thing which is blue and goose-like must be either:
    (a) My brain (or part thereof),
    (b) An external object sensed by me, or
    (c) An illusion
(4) Not (a)
(5) Not (b)
(6) Hence, the thing which is blue and goose-like must be an illusion.
(7) If something is an illusion, then it is not material (i.e. immaterial)
(8) I have direct access to my imaginings
(9) The only things I have direct access to are mental objects (e.g. ideas)
(10) Mental objects inhere in minds
(11) Immaterial only inhere in immaterial objects
(12) Therefore, my mind is immaterial.

Only one subjective experience, but NOT the kind about which I can be mistaken!  The "seeming" qualities of my ideas are infallible (just like I can't be wrong about thinking I'm happy -- if I think I'm happy, then I am!).  Deductive logic is also infallible.  Of course, one of my premises besides (1) and (2) (infallible) could be wrong, but I'm convinced.  Not subjectively ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:12:24 am by Xodarap »
The line below is true
The line above is false

Xodarap

• View Profile
Sentient Life
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 06:54:33 am »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane
A mind may exist without a brain, but since we cannot prove it, it is assumed to be false.

I quite clearly stated that I am NOT a believer of Cartesian Dualism, but of Epiphenomenalism, which I characterized as a unidirectional causality: the physical brain has all the causal powers.  I even likened them to the image on the monitor (I should have said "image" not "monitor") and the computer itself -- if the computer turns off (or is impounded), there is no image!
I never said that a mind could exist without a brain.  I don't believe that at all!  But a mind *does* exist.  See the argument above ;)
The line below is true
The line above is false