dupa

Author Topic: microsofts one drive storage warning  (Read 2165 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
microsofts one drive storage warning
« on: July 12, 2016, 11:14:08 am »
 i received this last month but have to get busy on downloading stuff and reducing things on my one drive . hal things i had backed up . so i am letting others on here who may have hal stuff on one drive as i do that's backed up ms is lowing 15 gb back up down to just 5 gb now . so you need to back stuff up . if you have more then 5 gb. i also have a question to anyone that might know , below it says free one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal,* which comes with 1 TB of OneDrive storage. do i have to after the free 1 year subscription , have to keep paying for subscription to keep the 1 tb one drive storage ??  can anyone answer this for sure ????
ANYONE?

Important changes to OneDrive
There are some important changes to OneDrive, and we wanted to follow up on our previous email to ensure you are aware of them. On June 29, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with your OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus.
How this affects you
As a result of these changes, you will be over your storage limit (visit the Storage page to check your account). If you don't bring your OneDrive content under the new limits in the next 30 days, your account will become read only – you'll be able to access your content, but not upload files. If you do not take action in one year, your content may be deleted. You can learn more at our FAQ.
What you can do
To bring your account within your storage limits:
•    Claim a free one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal,* which comes with 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
•    Purchase additional storage.**
•    Remove some files.
We realize these are big changes to a service you rely on. We apologize for any frustration they may cause you.
Thank you for using OneDrive.
– The OneDrive Team

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: microsofts one drive storage warning
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:02:20 am »
For personal storage of Hal files, photos, documents, tax records, etc., I opt to use an external 1 TB, USB 3.0 Hard Drive.

I feel it's safer than trusting my data on some stranger's server. (not to imply that those warm, caring people at Microsoft are strangers by any means...right!).
Granted it might not be quite as convenient as One Drive or Google Drive but it MY data. Therefore, it along with anything else I value, is put on my personal External Hard Drive.

Prices have been falling on Hard Drives and one can pick up a 1 TB External Drive for around $40 - $50 USD and a 2 TB External Drive for around $80. So why not?!

Regarding convenience of accessing that drive from anywhere (with another device), there's always programs like TeamViewer, which is pretty secure, works well and has received good reviews. I've used it and I like it as well. There are others that might fit your specific needs other than having to rely on some stranger's server that might be about as secure a your average closet door!

Either way, good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-WDBU6Y0020BBK-EESN/dp/B00DULWSXI?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=16330PR1NAHTNCZP5602&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00DULWSXI&linkCode=xm2&psc=1&tag=priwat-20
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -