Author Topic: error 67, to many files???  (Read 5452 times)

ravinganimal

• View Profile
error 67, to many files???
« on: November 21, 2004, 08:22:49 am »
after about 30min of conversations with hal, i always get this error msg. the error occurs on line 2457 in column 2.
here's a copy of the line

If HalBrain.CheckRepetition(HalUserBrain, UserSentence) = True Or HalBrain.CheckRepetition(HalUserBrain, PrevSent) = True Or HalBrain.CheckRepetition(HalUserBrain, PrevUserSent) = True Then UserBrainRel = 0

please help i don't want to erase my bots brain [V]

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:20:20 pm »
Hello ravinganimal,
Welcome to the Zabaware forum!
Don't worry about losing your bot's brain. The error your Bot is having is a common one and is usually always resolved with a little research, troubleshooting, and some minor brain modifications. When Hal is operating properly on a good working computer you should be able to have the program running all day long and talk to him as long and as often as you want and not have the sort of problem that you are currently having.

The "Error 67, Too Many Files" problem that your Hal is having is a VB Script Error Message. So, you may have some conflicts and/or looping errors going on inside of your Hal's brain. Sort of like an overload! If you have done things to your Hal like adding in many other brain plugins for it (for example, the XTF Brain plugin combined with other brain plugins) or if you have just made some of your own brain modifications to the Default Brain then some of the below links may be helpful in further troubleshooting and finally resolving the error.

You can check out the following links which takes you to other threads within this forum concerning the subject:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1311&SearchTerms=too,many,files,error

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1399&SearchTerms=Too,many,Files,Error,

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1616&SearchTerms=error,67,,too,many,files

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=677&SearchTerms=error,67,too,many,files

You can also use the forum search engine link located at the upper right corner of the forum web page for displaying other related threads by using "error 67 too many files" for the keyword search.

If you have not made any modifications at all to your Hal program then you may consider the following. You may have some limitations within your computer system's configuration which can also be modified to better handle the Hal program but making changes like that to your computer is not recommended until you first try out the other stuff discussed in the above links.

Additional link to the Microsoft VB Script Library "Error 67 Too Many Files":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbenlr98/html/vamsgTooManyFiles.asp

Hopefully another forum member may have encountered the same error at the same exact line number and they can assist you further with some more detailed information about what to do to resolve the error.
Best Regards,
Rich_A
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 09:46:52 pm by Rich_A »

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 04:30:35 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ravinganimal

after about 30min of conversations with hal, i always get this error msg. the error occurs on line 2457 in column 2.

If HalBrain.CheckRepetition(HalUserBrain, UserSentence) = True Or HalBrain.CheckRepetition(HalUserBrain, PrevSent) = True Or HalBrain.CheckRepetition(HalUserBrain, PrevUserSent) = True Then UserBrainRel = 0

Hi ravinganimal.

Try replacing this script in your brain

'RESPOND: PATTERN DATABASE
   'The SearchPattern function used in the above deductive reasoning and dictionary look up routine
   'is a powerful function that checks to see if a sentence matches a certain pattern and is able to
   'extract parts of the sentence. A PatternDB function also exists that can go through a large list
   'of patterns in a database file and come up with responses.
   PatternResponse = HalBrain.PatternDB(UserSentence, WorkingDir & "patterns.brn")
   If PatternResponse <> "" Then
   GetResponse = GetResponse & PatternResponse & vbCrLf
    End If

with this one below that I modified.

'RESPOND: PATTERN DATABASE
   'The SearchPattern function used in the above deductive reasoning and dictionary look up routine
   'is a powerful function that checks to see if a sentence matches a certain pattern and is able to
   'extract parts of the sentence. A PatternDB function also exists that can go through a large list
   'of patterns in a database file and come up with responses.
   PatternResponse = HalBrain.PatternDB(UserSentence, WorkingDir & "patterns.brn")
   If PatternResponse <> "" Then
   On Error Resume Next
   GetResponse = PatternResponse & vbCrLf
    End If

Hope it helps.
Jerry. [8D]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 04:33:08 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 05:35:48 pm »
Note:
If or when you modify your brain file and decide to
use the CUT & PASTE feature, be sure to check the
end result to make sure there are no unwanted spaces
and that each line is complete. It happens!

Line numbers are a nice reference to give us a place
to start but many of us have modified Hal's brain by
inserting new text which causes my line numbers to
be totally different from yours or someone elses.

Again, quoting line numbers in error messages is a
great way to get us close to seeing what you're seeing!

Good luck resolving your error.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 10:32:26 am »
onthecuttingedge2005,
In regards to your post... The script you refer to only applies the Auto Topic Focus Brain, not to Hal's original brain or the XTF Brain. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion.

=vonsmith=

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 12:46:14 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

onthecuttingedge2005,
In regards to your post... The script you refer to only applies the Auto Topic Focus Brain, not to Hal's original brain or the XTF Brain. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion.

=vonsmith=

Hi.
Any suggestions?
Best of wishes and brand new discoveries.
Jerry.

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 01:49:05 pm »
ravinganimal,
I don't know which Hal brain you are using or what mod's you may have made to it. However I have two possible solutions.

Change over to the XTF Brain v1.2 like this:
=======================
Here are the steps to install the XTF Brain.

Download and follow the included instructions to install the XTF Brain v1.0 here:
http://www.ultrahal.com/files/type.asp?iType=12

Then install the XTF Brain v1.2 Update Patch as shown here:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1233

Then follow the instructions here to rename a file:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1237

Remember to select the XTF Brain in Hal's Menu.

Sorry about the three step installation, but it is an excellent brain.
=======================

...or if you want to use Hal's original brain edit the "hal5.uhp" file as shown below.

=======================
REPLACE THIS SCRIPT:

Else
   Hypernym = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetHypernyms("NOUN", 1, 1)) 'Hypernym means "is a part of" or "is a member of"
   Sister = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetSisters("NOUN", 1)) 'Related nouns
   If Sister <> "" And Hypernym <> "" Then 'If we have sister terms and hypernyms, lets use it creatively
      Select Case Int(Rnd * 80) + 1

WITH THIS SCRIPT:

ElseIf DummyVariable = "XXXXXXXX" Then
   Hypernym = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetHypernyms("NOUN", 1, 1)) 'Hypernym means "is a part of" or "is a member of"
   Sister = WN.ChooseRandomWord(WN.GetSisters("NOUN", 1)) 'Related nouns
   If Sister <> "" And Hypernym <> "" Then 'If we have sister terms and hypernyms, lets use it creatively
      Select Case Int(Rnd * 80) + 1
=======================

The new script disables part of the "RESPOND: WORDNET MERONYM AND HYPERNYM RESPONSES" function which has a known problem that may cause the "error 67, to many files" error. I hope one of these two solutions works for you.

=vonsmith=

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 08:00:35 pm »
Hello All,
ravinganimal is a new starting member with only one post, so it's very possible that he just recently installed his Hal and the Default 5.0 Brain is just not working correctly on his computer.

So now how is it that suggestions are already starting to fly in recommending him to start throwing in new scripts and plugins for other stuff. Maybe he would like to just use the Default Brain for starters before he starts messing around and maybe end up screwing things up even more.

We don't even know if he knows how to even edit and modify his own Bot's brain. If he has a new Hal with no modifications yet then we really should be helping to just get his new installation working properly first before telling him to do anything else. He could be running another program on his computer concurrently with Hal that is creating a software or operating system conflict which could be resulting in the generation of that same VB Script Error. That's a Microsoft VB Error so it could be anything!

Maybe there's something wrong with his computer and not his Hal, or something on his computer causing his Hal to generate the error. If he is running only the Default Brain it is very likely that there may be something that he can change on his computer that will allow his current Hal's brain to work correctly. So then he wouldn't need any plugins or modifications to be made to his Hal at all. He may even just need a program reinstall and we can tell him what to do to prepare in order to preserve his brain's current configuration and memory for a full reinstallation procedure.

We don't know anything about what he did to his brain or what modifications that he may or may not have made, so recommending more things to add in would be premature at this point in time. If anything, I would first recommend some removal of some things if he added in a bunch of stuff already! Doing some minor removals would be safer and less likely to change the personality that his brain has already developed and acquired.

From his post it seemed like that he was more concerned about his Bot's current personality and memory, so you can't just start throwing him recommendations that is more likely going to change some of that! If he didn't yet state that he has XTF or Auto Topic Focus or anything else then we should not be assuming that he already has them, especially since he has made only one post so far. He would be more likely to have more than just one post if he already had that other stuff but we don't know about any of that for sure yet.

And, yes it's possible that he does have some other plugins and scripts but we don't know that either. And that's why my previous post in this thread was purposely general and vague, because we don't know anything about his Bot and the best thing I thought of to do is let him first read about the current information already contained within this forum. If he couldn't figure things out for himself then he would most likely post again for more help and with more information about his problem and then we can better base our recommendations on what to do at that point in time.

If I was running a Default Brain and someone told me to install XTF I wouldn't do that if I was concerned about changing the way my Bot's Brain works. Maybe he don't want XTF if he don't already have it! And based on most of the reported problems of this nature it's usually an XTF based brain combined with other plugins that generates that error and not a Default Brain. And if I'm not mistaken I believe that there has even been some reports of that error occurring even with just an XTF Brain with no other plugins. So if he had a Default Brain and was getting that error and then we recommend plugging in an XTF Brain, it is very likely that we would screw things up even more!

I realize that everyone is just trying to help out, but recommending big brain changes is the last thing that should be done until he posts again for more help and with more information about his problem.
Best Regards,
Rich_A

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:01:45 pm »
Rich_A,
Count to ten, take a deep breath and switch to decaf. I put out a couple of suggestions to ravinganimal for consideration. If he is using the original brain he should replace the script I posted anyway because it will eventually cause an error if it isn't already doing so. Making this change won't alter his Hal's brain configuration. If he doesn't know how to edit the .uhp file he is welcome to ask how or he can read about brain editing in past posts on the forum.

Installing the XTF Brain won't affect any other standard Hal brain files. Nothing is lost. The user can switch between the XTF Brain any other brains installed.

Your comment:
"And based on most of the reported problems of this nature it's usually a XTF based brain combined with other plugins that generates that error and not a Default Brain."

My answer:
I can't comment on the reliability of any XTF Brains heavily modified with cut & paste scripts. All I can say is backup original files before modifying. Some people are more knowledgeable about VBScript and Hal brain config's than others. Don't blame the XTF Brain.

Your comment:
"And if I'm not mistaken I believe that there has even been some reports of that error occurring even with just an XTF Brain with no other plugins."

My answer:
I'm not aware of any issues with the XTF Brain v1.2. If there are I would encouragement people to post about it. I would be glad to help them resolve any issues. As far as I know the XTF Brain is the only brain here that comes with a User Manual explaining its operation. The brain script is also heavily annotated with comments to explain some of the operations. It also includes additional debugging commands for troubleshooting. What more can one expect for free?

NOTE: ravinganimal,
Have you edited or otherwise changed the "MainBrain.brn" file. This file is part text, part compiled code. Changing this file in any way can have a bad effect on Hal, including the problem your Hal is experiencing.

ravinganimal, any questions, comments or new info?

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:39:05 pm by vonsmith »

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 02:26:38 am »
If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion for a solution to the script cut-and-paste problem. Namely, where to cut and paste scriptlets into Hal brains. I suggest that a section in the .uhp file be commented such that a standard for add-in scripts is formalized. For example;

'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ADD-IN SCRIPTS GO BELOW
'vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv'
'BlockSave = False; Setting to true will prevent Hal from saving responses.
'list other appropriate variables

'^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ADD-IN SCRIPTS GO ABOVE
'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New script add-ins would then follow global variable rules at the commented section, ie. GetResponse, BlockSave, HalCommands, etc, so that addins can be easily modified for different .uhp 'brains'.

Find solutions to the problem, not problems to the solution [;)]
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

Morlhach

• View Profile
    • http://membres.lycos.fr/morlhach
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 11:46:59 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ravinganimal

I got the same problem and discovered that the XTF_SYS_Enhanced_Main.brn file was corrupted.
Try to replace it.

I hope it will help you
--
Morlhach
http://morlhach.servebeer.com/

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 01:53:52 pm »
Morlhach / All,
As I posted above:

If you have the XTF Brain v1.2 installed:

Follow the instructions here to rename the "XTF_SYS_Enhanced_Main.brn" file:

The file is not corrupt, it's just not named properly.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 02:00:23 pm by vonsmith »

Morlhach

• View Profile
    • http://membres.lycos.fr/morlhach
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 04:35:58 am »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

Morlhach / All,
As I posted above:

If you have the XTF Brain v1.2 installed:

Follow the instructions here to rename the "XTF_SYS_Enhanced_Main.brn" file:

The file is not corrupt, it's just not named properly.

=vonsmith=

Thanks VonSmith,

But the file was really corrupted
So i deleted it and used the procedure you are explaining in the link above.

It was a real corruption.
How did it happen, i have no clue ...

Greetings,
--
Morlhach