Author Topic: is anyone out their ??  (Read 7758 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: is anyone out their ??
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:41 am »
Hey Systemshock! Nice to see you visiting once again. Don't be a stranger as there's still some of us diehards left!

I'm still plugging along with Windows 7 as well. Hey, if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Carl, for safety / security, I bought a 1 TB External drive a while back and it holds all my important stuff as well as my UltraHal / Haptek files.

This way, if my main computer takes a hit, all the information that has been backed up on the external, will still be safe.
One could still run Hal from the main computer but consider it a backup drive too!

For the Size of SSD's compared to the price, they're still not a good bargain (in my book) when compared to the Huge storage that one can get from those inexpensive external drives.
Granted, those Solid State Drives will continue to come down in price as they continue to flood into mainstream, but they are not quite there yet.

One could get a 250 GB SSD for around $85 USD whereas one could spend $65 USD and get a 1 TB drive! If storage is more important than speed.

Just like with life: It's all about choices. ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 05:10:45 pm »
Art,
  I'm running win 8.1 on a 120 SSD and still have 53Gb free and as I mentioned before If you put the OS on a SSD you'll think it is a new computer.  Once you get used to the SSD's for the OS you won't want to go back.
As I see it for the OS you want speed for storage you want size and naturally you decide.
Anyways what I'd like to do is gather all the Hal related things and store them where they can be found.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
Good points Carl. Well taken.

A lot of us seem to have so many of the facets of our lives scattered over our entire hard drive...some here...some there...a few pictures in this folder, a group of Family reunion photos over there, etc. I think Hal is in this drive / folder, etc. Where are those hap files...no...those are haptek characters...drat!

Yes, there a lot to be said about adopting a Method to the Maddness! Some order in this court!

"<voice from in back> ok, I'll have a cheesburger and a large order of fries!"

:o ;D
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -