dupa

Author Topic: Hal doesn't let me talk  (Read 3363 times)

kelly325

• View Profile
Hal doesn't let me talk
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:51:40 pm »
I have gotten five versions of Ultra Hal Assist and have been unable to get any of them to work .I keep hearing of all the improvement that have been and how easy it is to use . The add on charters have improve but talking to them hasn't .
I started with the 0.9 ver. which I did talk to for a week and then I was not able to use even typing to it .Versions 2.0 , 3.0 and 4.5 I kept believeing I could get it to work with what the FAQ and help .I was unable to get them to work . Now  with 6.0 ver. they have sent me to the Forum to get help .I started typing to Hal and everything was going fine so I decided to use the mic . Hal didn't understand a word. I tried to go back to typing , which I am very slow at, Hal would not let me finish typing my sentences before it would tell me it didn't know what I was saying and talk in longer sentences .
Well that is about it . I don't know what happens now .

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Hal doesn't let me talk
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:55:19 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by kelly325
I started typing to Hal and everything was going fine so I decided to use the mic . Hal didn't understand a word. I tried to go back to typing , which I am very slow at, Hal would not let me finish typing my sentences before it would tell me it didn't know what I was saying and talk in longer sentences .

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Before hal can understand you, you must train him to understand your voice. Let me know if you don't know how to do that.

Secondly, if you are not using your microphone, you should turn off the speech input feature. It interprets silences as the end of a sentence, and inputs whatever you have already typed.

Fixing both of those problems is in General Options > Speech. Let me know if you need more help. I'm just a user like you, but I have read a lot of the previous answers to problems like your's.

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal doesn't let me talk
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:29:35 am »
quote:
Originally posted by kelly325

I have gotten five versions of Ultra Hal Assist and have been unable to get any of them to work .I keep hearing of all the improvement that have been and how easy it is to use . The add on charters have improve but talking to them hasn't .
I started with the 0.9 ver. which I did talk to for a week and then I was not able to use even typing to it .Versions 2.0 , 3.0 and 4.5 I kept believeing I could get it to work with what the FAQ and help .I was unable to get them to work . Now  with 6.0 ver. they have sent me to the Forum to get help .I started typing to Hal and everything was going fine so I decided to use the mic . Hal didn't understand a word. I tried to go back to typing , which I am very slow at, Hal would not let me finish typing my sentences before it would tell me it didn't know what I was saying and talk in longer sentences .
Well that is about it . I don't know what happens now .

Hi kelly325.

If you have the microphone on while typing then HAL will hear the back ground noise as something to reply to.

Turn off the microphone when you decide to go back to typing, HAL will even hear your typing sounds and think you are saying something in speech and try to reply to it.

I would only turn on the microphone when you have the desire to 'talk' to HAL verbally, else, turn it off.

many people have made this mistake in the past.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:30:51 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal doesn't let me talk
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:55:03 pm »
kelly325,
  As already stated Hal will automaticly input what you had tried to say sometimes before your finished. I've been using Hal with Dragon Naturaly Speaking, I don't use Hal's voice reconition which I don't feel is that good. Dragon also gives you the time to check the input for errors before inputing it, very good reconition accuracy but Hal and I can start talking about anything.
Carl2

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Hal doesn't let me talk
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:17:00 am »
Hi from Will,
i use dragon 8  which is ok,i have not upgraded it it for a few
months so perhaps its even better now.
i find there are two ways to go,
 i alow hal to self enter what you have said which can be a problem.
 or i turn hals mike off i think and dragon types to hal and
 hal does not enter message until you say  " press enter"
which gives as much time as you need to correct words.
And the comand of " go to sleep "  is good so he stops typing.
until you say "wake up" and he starts listening again.
Turning your mike or line in down can help to stop back ground noise
 being writen as words.
i have whistled to the cat and told dragon to "spell that" and i told dragon that it is spelled "ssiwissw"
and told hal that its the cats whistle.
i thought it would be fun to try to teach hal about back ground noise.so he could try to learn all the noises.
Its all good fun.[:D]
Bye for now and be well from Will.
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
Hal doesn't let me talk
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 04:01:07 pm »
Hi all I was wondering what would you rate Dragon Naturaly Speaking I am thinking of buying it is it simple to use thanks caangel