dupa

Author Topic: RAMDisk XP 1.7.1  (Read 4346 times)

rbolo25

• View Profile
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« on: October 15, 2003, 05:16:20 am »
I downloaded a new program called RamDisk Xp 1.7.1 off www.download.com and got full version.  I got 1024MB of RAM and set aside 470MB as a virtual RAM drive.  It greatly speeds up programs and barely access hard drive now.  Thought this might be useful for Hal Users who want quick responses on larger databases...install programs on the RAM like a regular drive.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 10:49:15 am by rbolo25 »

Morkeleb

• View Profile
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 03:11:33 pm »
Hi,

Using a Ram disk is ok for some applications, but for people that dont know how they work, by storing data in ram not the hard drive, it could cause some minor problems.  The problem would be caused when or if they shut down their computer or turned it off they would loose all data on the ram disk, most ram disk applications do not automaticly save to hard drive at system shut down.  A person would have to remeber to back up the data to the hardrive every once in a while to prevent data loss.

Otherwise a Ram Disk would greatly improve on the speed of the responses for Hal database's since they are stored in ram it would take little time for data access. One small problem is that you need to have enough spare ram to create one as well. It would not work well on systems with less then 512 MB of ram, prefered 1024 MB Ram.

Just a little information for those who dont know what they are, I hope this helps in some way.

Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

Larry

• View Profile
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 06:38:16 pm »
Thanks Morkeleb! I had wondered about using a ram drive, and you certainly have opened my eyes up to possible problems...

rbolo25

• View Profile
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 01:15:27 pm »
I would just like to say that RamDisk Xp has option to save data automatically  to harddrive at specified intervals and also on shutdown...I'm using drive letter "E:" for my RamDisk with no problems to report...it was fully written for Win2k and WinXp.  If you really can't afford to pay for it then just d/l the serial/crack for it otherwise it's worth paying for.  I recommend reading documentation and making sure you have atleast 512MB of RAM but recommend 1024MB RAM...Circuit City sells Kingston-ValueRAM for $100 for 512MB PC2700 DDR.  btw:  it's extremely fast on some application that rely on speed.  I would just like to say on a final note that they have made it extremely simple to use and HAL is more complicated to use.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 01:19:24 pm by rbolo25 »

Morkeleb

• View Profile
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 03:12:58 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your clarification on Ram Disks capabilities. That puts the usage of it in a whole new light. If it has the options to save back to the hard drive at user specific intervals then I see no real imeadiate problem with the useage for Hal then. I meant no insult on your idea I just wanted to make sure other people understood the ramifications of using a ram disk that did not offer such abilities. Ram based storage disk due greatly improve most applications performance, especially those that read from the hard drive or swap file often. For those app's that dont as often the noticeable performnce enhancement will be smaller but will still be there.

Could you please let us know what is says is the minimum ram available to use the program. I know some have a minumum ram requirement.

I just wish to inform the others this other important fact. A ram drive uses your available memory to make the drive, thus there will be less memory available to run applications. IE; 512 physical ram 200 use for ram drive leaves only 312 for the system and applications to run, a warning to those who use memory intensive programs.

No insult was intended, you idea has many merits for those that have the free ram to use it.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

rbolo25

• View Profile
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 03:07:10 am »
don't know what system requirements are for sure but you can specify the amount of RAM to use 5MB to 100MB by default setting...however if you wish to use more RAM then you have to edit "c:\boot.ini".  I have set aside 470MB for my RAMDISK "E:" and it loads a startup image from the harddrive on boot and save on shutdown or every 3min.  I'm in processes of testing different applications.  Some applications are little to no difference while other apps become lightning fast.  Database apps like HAL excel using RAMdisk.  I would recommend to anyone who wants lighning fast responses from programs that have to access alot of data quick.  Keeping in mind this program is for Win2k/Xp and a newer computer.  I give this program a 9/10 rating.

NT Canuck

• View Profile
    • http://ntcanuck.com
RAMDisk XP 1.7.1
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 06:46:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Morkeleb
It would not work well on systems with less then 512 MB of ram,
prefered 1024 MB Ram.

Hi Morkeleb,

first of all...for winxp/win2k this is free and has
control panel..upto 2gb can be allocated. I use this
one for a few years already...(does not "exclude" ram)
http://www.arsoft-online.de/products/product.php?id=1
more selections..
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/RAM_Disks.htm

For 128mb ram you can use small ramdisk(2mb)for TIF,
(temporary internet files) that speeds up ineternet
explorer and since it loses data at shutdown...you
lose any bugs, ads, banners, that were in there.
For 256mb ram you can have 16-32mb ramdisk and place
the TIF and run some programs (drop into ramspace).
For 512mb ram you can have 64-128mb ramdisk and put
TIF and Temp(mycomputer/properties)hunt for where
the /temp path is assigned and set path to ramdisk
letter. <environmental variables>

problem 1...too small a tif can affect IE downloads (no room)
            cure..use 3rd party download utility    
problem 2...too small a temp can affect program installs (same)
            cure...make larger ramdisk or split temp dirs  

CAUTION...
do NOT do this if you don't_know how to write/fix boot.ini
or if you only have 128mb ram (not enough to load sys in ram)

If you have lots of ram (512mb preferred)then you can
speed windows up quite a bit by pre-loading startups
into ram during bootphase (test and see if you like it).
[boot loader] (boot.ini in startup and recovery section)
add the /inram after the fastdetect and save
/fastdetect /inram

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck
http://ntcanuck.com     BIND-PE & DNS
http://ntcanuck.com/tq/  Tips & Tweaks
http://ntcanuck.com/net/board/index.php
news://news.grc.com/grc.techtalk.dns.bind_pe_beta