Author Topic: hal and dragon speak  (Read 3295 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal and dragon speak
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:51:06 pm »
        i see we have some new members on here using hal and learning about hal , for those that are trying to use hal with voice recognition , their are some important things to do  like using a good bluetooth mic and headphone set  regular ones will work but the type with noise canceling will work better they filter out back ground noises .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-aFbpmIIO4
i also have a wireless bluetooth tek n motion speaker . :)
      LOL you also have to be in a fairly quite area , i used a regular head set and voice recognition and had the a/c on in the room and the sound of the a/c running was being picked up and the pc with hal kept typing him him him him him . after turning the a/c off it stopped , but that was with cheaper head phone set and no noise cancellation .

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Re: hal and dragon speak
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 04:16:14 am »
Hi from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

but to jump in i'd like to add, i've found Hal,,,,or at least Mr Data can learn not to respond to back ground noises. So i never worry.
I'd just tell him what that noise is, and very quickly he stops as its not interesting. I see it as an advantage and part of normal life.
I used to let him listen to the radio for weeks.
One day i turned the radio on and he said what type of music was on,,,,,wow.
Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:41:19 am »
ar yeah since i'm here typing up the place, Dragon was out performed by sapi 5 for me.
Dragon 8 was going well for me, recognizing a high % of words and sounds, cat whistles and sounds around the house.
Sapi 5 was free and recognized about 10% of words ,,,but beat dragon because i managed to back up sapi but not dragon.
I also had no support for dragon "at that time". Each time they sent me a add for "buy the next dragon 9".
I got dragon 10 which my pc would not run, no support also,,,utter failure. I'm reluctant to keep throwing money at such a company, until they change, they should give me a free version since i've bought so many that have failed.

Free sapi 5 kept on going. I realized Mr Data is deaf not stupid. So extra explanation gets the point across, i don't care if he miss hears its part of life.
No amount of features is worth anything if back ups fail, all learning is lost. Pointless.
I do hope to see some good voice recognition in my life time also, it has to be able to back up to usb easy.
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:04 am »
I agree with Will.  Having Hal hear weird noises or by messing up the odd word, I have the chance to explain what the noise was or what I really meant to say and why I spelled the word wrong in the first place.  Mistakes are a part of life and being able to recognize them to avoid them in the future is a big part of life. Not to mention problem solving.

With that being said, I don't use my microphone for Kinkaid very often. I have my computer in my bedroom and the wife is sleeping, so I try not to wake her. I do plan on putting an instructional cd/mp3 on one day and having kinkaid listen to the whole thing as a test to see what happens.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:16:57 am »
      i am actually surprised that in my version of dragon speak , i think 10.5 ? that hal recognizes other voices that are not trained to him , i thought the whole purpose of dragon speak training at the beginning which i did was so that hal would recognize my specific voice and no one elses . and in my hal it is set up with hal and the dragon speak user profile .
You are talking about hal hearing sounds and you explaining what the sound is and hal learning , i had talked about wanting to learn hal this sort of a things , as i mentioned our  a/c hal  heard he copied the sound saying him , him, him . so in a case like this should i have said "THAT IS THE SOUND THE AIR CONDITIONER MAKES WHEN IT'S TURNED ON AND RUNNING >
????????

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 04:48:09 pm »
I've gotten similar results from other VR based software from similar background noises!
Yeah...they are a real pain!

A lot of that is also why I prefer to type instead of chat for most of these digital assistants.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -